Menu

Archaeology

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I've been finding some great resources via open courseware. Google 'open courseware' and you'll see lots of free lesson plans and video lectures. We're doing kitchen chemistry via MIT open courseware, a primate study and Art History-Roman Architecture via Yale open courseware this year with my middle schoolers. There is an interesting archeology course at MIT open courseware:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/materials-science-and-engineering/3-986-the-human-past-introduction-to-archaeology-fall-2006/index.htm

And another one:

http://bruceowen.com/introarch/324f2002.htm from Sonoma State Univ.

HTH! :001_smile:

This syllabus from the Harvard Summer School has some interesting titles. The only one I'm familiar with is David Macaulay's Motel of the mysteries which I can attest is a fun read.

The bookstore from Archaeology magazine might also give you some good leads.

I saw favorable remarks about this title on several sites ~ Digging through Darkness: Chronicles of an Archaeologist by Carmel Schrire. Likewise, this text gets favorable reviews ~ Fagan's Ancient Lives: An Introduction to Archaeology and Prehistory.

Best wishes with your planning!

Regards,

Kareni

I haven't used it myself, but I bookmarked this syllabus for a HS archaeology class. It uses Linking to the Past: A Brief Introduction to Archaeology. The previous edition is cheaper and has a "look inside" feature. You could also take a more WTM approach and use something like Archaeology for Dummies as a basic spine, and then fill in with lots of living books, documentaries, and field trips. The Teaching Co has some good courses in archeology (e.g. Classical Archaeology of Greece and Rome).

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno
add link

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
This syllabus from the Harvard Summer School has some interesting titles. The only one I'm familiar with is David Macaulay's Motel of the mysteries which I can attest is a fun read.

The bookstore from Archaeology magazine might also give you some good leads.

I saw favorable remarks about this title on several sites ~ Digging through Darkness: Chronicles of an Archaeologist by Carmel Schrire. Likewise, this text gets favorable reviews ~ Fagan's Ancient Lives: An Introduction to Archaeology and Prehistory.

Best wishes with your planning!

Regards,

Kareni

We LOVE this book!!! Any book that a mom can read aloud that has her and her teenage sons laughing so hard they cry is high on my lists of must reads:thumbup: We've permanently renamed several items at our house;):lol:

Thank you both, and keep them coming:D

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I haven't used it myself, but I bookmarked this syllabus for a HS archaeology class. It uses Linking to the Past: A Brief Introduction to Archaeology. The previous edition is cheaper and has a "look inside" feature. You could also take a more WTM approach and use something like Archaeology for Dummies as a basic spine, and then fill in with lots of living books, documentaries, and field trips. The Teaching Co has some great courses in archeology (e.g. Classical Archaeology of Greece and Rome).

Jackie

I mean thank you three! Jackie posted while I was typing:001_smile:

http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Graves-Scholars-Story-Archaeology/dp/0394743199

Gods, Graves, and Scholars is a wonderful living book. It is not up to date with the latest theories, but it can really light a passionate fire for archaeology in a young person. I also think the previous recommendation of Motel of the Mysteries should be read by anyone studying archaeology, as a reminder that archaeologists are fallible people, too. Plus it is hilarious.:D