Menu

NYC for one day with dc (10 and 7)-what to do?

Dh is staying just outside the city in NJ so we're going to drive the three hours next wkend and stay over with him.

We'll only have one day in the city. I went when I was young and then again with dd but just really went to American Girl store and walked around that area a little, so not very familiar with what's where.

Dh found a bus tour that leaves from his hotel, but it doesn't do many *kid* things. We don't want to spend a ton of money. Should we plan to just take a bus in on our own and walk around? If so, what areas? Or should we just plan to do one thing, like Bronx Zoo? We'd like to see the dino bones in Historical Museum-is that expensive, or is it something we can just pop into and then go see other things, or is a big thing to see and we should plan to do just that?

We live close enough that we'll get to the city again, so it's not like we have to see it all in one day. But younger ds has never been there, and dh only once briefly, so we'd kind of like to see Statue of Liberty, etc.

I would pick one or two things to focus on and then add in the walking around, eating and whatever time leaves you. The Museum of Natural History is by donation. They have a recommended price but you can give them whatever amount and tell them it's for however many. If you don't pay the whole amount I don't believe you will be able to get into the planetarium but you can do all the dinos! I would save the Bronx Zoo unless zoo day is calling you. It's not the city. If you go to the Statue of Liberty be there at something like 8:30 for the first ferry or you end up standing in line to get a ferry and again to get up in the statue.(It could be hours.) You can take the Staten Island Ferry and have a free boat ride and get fairly close and also enjoy the skyline of the city. My kids love China Town. I would get a guide book and map out a plan and take public transportation. You'll have a great time!

The American Museum of Natural History is a *fabulous* museum -- world-reknowned.

Central Park is great! So MANY things to do.

I could easily spend the entire day at either.

We also love the Bronx Zoo. (But it's not so completely unique. There are lots of great zoos.)

Then, of course, there's the typical touristy things to do. Lots of those.

Oh, how to choose???

Statue of Liberty is going to be closed in about 9 months I heard on the news. Apparently they are installing a 2nd staircase.

Museum of Natural History is my sons hands down favorite place to go in NYC.

You could easily spend the entire day there.

Central Park Zoo is nice (and close to Museum of Natural History).

Times Square is fun (M&M store, Hershey Store, Pop Tart Store)

Metropolitan Museum of Art has amazing Egyptian collection and a really cool medieval collection. Again, you pay as much as you want to enter.

From New Jersey you definitely do not need to take a bus tour. Ask at your hotel for the quickest way into NYC (probably NJ Transit train, Path train or bus).

Thanks so far-helps me narrow it down some! So say we go to Mus of Nat Hist, which I think would be a biggie for them, what would be some other things that are w/in walking distance of there? Like Times Square, or Rock Center, etc-are those things in walking distance? Can you see Empire State Bldg from there? Are we near Ground Zero there?

I would google up a map or look at a book to make it visually more real. Ground Zero is on the southern end of the island. The museum on the upper west side. You can take a subway downtown but they aren't near each other. You will be near Central Park.

Like Times Square, or Rock Center, etc-are those things in walking distance? Can you see Empire State Bldg from there? Are we near Ground Zero there?

No to all of these.

I would take a cab from the history museum to Times Square. From Times Square you can walk to the Empire State Bldg and Rockefeller Center. Ground Zero is way downtown. Times Square is lots of fun, though (just hold their hands tightly so they don't get lost). As mentioned before the Hershey, Pop Tart, and M&M stores are there. Check out the really cool Toys R Us, too. There's so much to see and do there that you won't even feel the need to buy anything. (they can go into Barbie's Dream House, they'll love the animatronic T-rex and the lego sculptures, and there's lots of live toy demos and a big ferris wheel inside).

Thanks so far-helps me narrow it down some! So say we go to Mus of Nat Hist, which I think would be a biggie for them, what would be some other things that are w/in walking distance of there? Like Times Square, or Rock Center, etc-are those things in walking distance? Can you see Empire State Bldg from there? Are we near Ground Zero there?

No... but you could do a picnic lunch in Central Park! :001_smile:

Here is a pretty awesome map - it should help you see how close things are to each other! Times Square and Rock Center are a long walk and Ground Zero is extremely far...

I recommend just doing the Museum of Natural History (there is sooo much to see there!) and Central Park, which is right across the street. If you just want to see some sights from the outside, a tour bus may be a good way to finish things off.

Have fun!

With a little traffic a taxi ride to Times Square from the museum should be about $10 (at least it was a month ago :001_smile:).

Times Square is the area around 42nd Street (and several blocks uptown) and the Empire State building is on 34th Street. Probably about a 15 minute walk. Or you can hop on a bus going downtown ($2.25 each, change only or buy a metrocard, no dollar bills)

I can't really think about anything kid friendly in Rockefeller Center. There is ice skating and NBC. I think Times Square is much more fun. They recently created these pedestrian areas with chairs and tables and you can just sit (for free) and watch the billboards lighting up and watch the people go by. My 10 year old thinks this is a ton of fun.

I recommend just doing the Museum of Natural History (there is sooo much to see there!) and Central Park, which is right across the street.

Have fun!

We did this and had a really lovely day. Central Park is well worth spending time in.

I don't know how close this would be, but there is a ferry to Staten Island. You see the Statue of Liberty from the ferry. My kids and I were happy to see it and didn't really feel a need to actually go to the Statue ourselves. I think the ferry is free too???