Menu

WHY does CLE use a schwa for the "short u" sound????

lotsofpumpkins

This is really bugging me... I LOVE CLE Math and would love to add more of their subjects (next year). I've read so many good reviews about CLE Reading, but when I go to look at samples, I get hung up on the fact that their pronunciations are written so differently from what my dc learned with R&S Phonics. It's especially annoying to me that they are using a schwa for the short u sound. It just looks wrong to me. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Drove me crazy because it confused my daughter so much, she has special needs and could not understand why it said, "u" and the letter was upside down. It was a big issue with her.

Love the program it just wouldn't work with her. I had to sell it just for that reason alone. If your kid understands it and you can get pass it looking different then I would use it.

I de-emphasize any of the spelling rules that CLE has because they are just confusing to me with all their dictionary symbols and I don't want my daughter confused. She learned to spell with SWR and I still supplement with that, so I don't want to learn things the CLE way.

Most of the time, it hasn't been a big deal, but it took us a little while to figure out how to work around it when we started with CLE. Basically, if there is a spelling exercise that asks her to find all the words based on some dictionary spelling, I just tell her what sound they are looking for in terms of the SWR phonograms and she goes from there.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

They sound the same to me too. I don't see the schwa used much anymore. When I was a kid (in the 70's) it was used a lot but only when a vowel (or vowel combination) that wasn't "u" was making the short u sound (like the).

I didn't know it didn't sound like short u. How do you sound it? That's how I was taught back in 1969 in 1st grade.
They do sound similar, but the short "u" sound is found either in the stressed syllable (as in "cup") or occasionally in syllable with secondary stress. The schwa sound is heard only in unaccented syllables. You can hear both the short "u" and schwa sounds in the word "rumpus."

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
They do sound similar, but the short "u" sound is found either in the stressed syllable (as in "cup") or occasionally in syllable with secondary stress. The schwa sound is heard only in unaccented syllables. You can hear both the short "u" and schwa sounds in the word "rumpus."

What about a word like "the" that has only one syllable? I wonder if some of it is regional because I still don't hear the difference:confused:

They sound the same to me too. I don't see the schwa used much anymore. When I was a kid (in the 70's) it was used a lot but only when a vowel (or vowel combination) that wasn't "u" was making the short u sound (like the).

We don't use the reading, but that is how it is used in the LA. Schwa represents the short u sound by any letter other than u, such as love and come. It helped that in LA they did a whole exercise explaining schwa= short u, but I still have to remind my kids to include short u in some of the exercises, as in words like truck. I think it helps that we are also using AAS, so we really follow those rules and don't emphasize those in CLE unless they support them.

I don't remember ever hearing of schwa before CLE. :blush:

What about a word like "the" that has only one syllable? I wonder if some of it is regional because I still don't hear the difference:confused:
One pronunciation of "the" uses a schwa sound. It's an unusual word in that it's always followed by another. Edited by nmoira

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Orton-Gillingham and Wilson Language which are both programs for dyslexics uses schwa too.

I've seen the schwa used in AAS too but aren't really far enough in levels to know exactly how it's used.