Menu

PIE---I need good recipes/ideas for church picnic

Our church is celebrating its 50th Anniversary this weekend. On Saturday we are supposed to bring several pies to the pig roast. We are planning quite a few guests (former members, etc) and you figure that most people will have at least 2 different types........after all we ARE Baptist. That means I need to come up with a few pies.

Any ideas for me? I am NOT a pie maker. I need simple and foolproof. Peaches might be started by Saturday but blueberries are in full force. I also have 2 bags of frozen strawberries. I am open though to non fruit pies, etc.

A few requirements:

EASY to make and pretty foolproof

Must transport well and be OK in 85-90 degree heat (so no icecream, etc)

Tasty

Not too expensive to make

work with a crumb crust or store bought---I am not great at crust making

Give me your best ideas/recipes.

I make this one at least four times a year. I use store bought dough (the already rolled kind). I cut the cinnamon in half.

----------------------------------------

King Arthur Flour

Mr. Washington's Cherry Pie

In honor of George (of course), the following recipe uses canned, frozen or bottled sour cherries. Canned cherry pie filling is a bright-red, gelatinous substance that bears only faint resemblance to the fruit from which it supposedly springs. Bakers who've used sour cherries know they're well worth the effort. Hopefully your store carries these cherries; they’re a tawny red, rather than neon-colored. Many coops carry individually quick frozen sour cherries, which have a beautiful bright red color and unforgettable flavor.

1 recipe King Arthur's Pie Crust

5 to 6 cups (three 15-ounce cans or jars) sour cherries, packed in water or individually quick frozen

3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) sugar

3/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 cup (1 1/2 ounces) quick-cooking tapioca or 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) Pie Filling Enhancer

1 teaspoon almond extract

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons (1 ounce) butter (optional)

Divide the dough in half, and roll one half into a 13-inch circle. Transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie pan. Drain the cans of cherries, reserving 2/3 cup of water from one of them. Place the cherries and reserved liquid in a large mixing bowl. Combine the sugar, cinnamon, and tapioca or Pie Filling Enhancer. Stir this into the cherries until everything is evenly combined. Stir in the almond extract and salt. If you’re using tapioca, let the filling sit for 20 minutes before using it to fill the pie shell.

Spoon the filling into the pastry-lined pan, and dot with butter, if desired. Roll out the second crust and place it on top of the filling. Cut a design (two cherries? a hatchet?) into the top to vent steam, and squeeze/seal the top and bottom crusts together, fluting with your fingers or a fork. You may also choose to make a woven lattice crust.

Place the pie on a parchment-lined (to catch any spills) baking sheet, and bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling. Remove the pie from the oven, and cool it on a rack before slicing, so the filling can set up. Yield: one 9-inch pie, 8 slices.

This is from the Joy of Cooking--it's easy and luscious, and you can easily use a bought crust, which is what I do. :)

Preheat oven to 425.

3 cups sliced peaches (measure generously)

2 cups raspberries

Combine with:

1/2 to 3/4 C sugar

3 to 3 1/2 T cornstarch or quick-cooking tapioca

3 T lemon juice

1/4 t almond extract (optional)

1/8 t salt

let stand for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Pour into bottom crust, and dot with 2-3 T cold butter, cut small.

Cover with top pie crust, crimp edges, cut vents. Brush crust with milk or cream, and sprinkle with 2 T sugar.

bake 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake on a cookie sheet for 25-35 minutes more. Let cool completely; it's best the day it's baked, but can be stored at room temp. for a day.

Here's a pecan pie recipe I copied off the SL forums years ago:

1 unbaked 8-inch pastry shell

1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 Tbs flour

2 eggs

2 Tbs milk

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup butter (melted, do not substitute)

1 cup pecans, chopped

Mix sugars and flour. Add eggs, milk, vanilla, and butter; mix well. Fold in pecans. Pur into unbaked crust. Bake 375F for 40-50 min. Serve slightly warm.

Cinder