Menu

Why Do Boys Hate

I don't know why, but my youngest two boys are very much that way. They find writing something down absolute torture. I have caved and let them write their papers on the computer. My oldest two sons had no problem writing, nor my two daughters.

My boys all liked writing and did it pretty early. Editing and rewriting drafts - not so much. But all three of them were happy to write the initial draft.

But that doesn't mean your son is scamming you. FOR HIM it might feel that hard. And at eight, I might just back off a little. Have you listened to Susan's lectures on teaching writing? I found the one for middle school parents quite helpful - they are on her website for download.

For my boys ... their imaginations and ideas were so big, but their writing skills (speed at forming letters, spelling, etc.) hadn't developed well enough to keep up with what was in their heads. It was very frustrating. That is why the whole copywork and dictation idea seem to work. I wish I had discovered the WTM when my boys were younger so I could have implemented it better.

For my boys ... their imaginations and ideas were so big, but their writing skills (speed at forming letters, spelling, etc.) hadn't developed well enough to keep up with what was in their heads. It was very frustrating. That is why the whole copywork and dictation idea seem to work. I wish I had discovered the WTM when my boys were younger so I could have implemented it better.

:iagree: At least, it seemed partly the reason for my ds; his fingers didn't work as fast as his brain. However, at 11, his printing is so atrocious I can barely read what he's written. His cursive is fine, because he *has* to slow down, but then he can't remember what he wanted to write, so it only works well for copywork.

Hmm...Come to think of it, ds's handwriting looks a lot like dh's, and dh hates to write, too.

It's very common. I highly recommend small amounts of writing, consistently, and eventually thos fine motor skills improve. Meanwhile you can do a lot of work orally in order to keep moving forward. Around that age my son could only manage 1 or 2 lines of writing a day, so I would rotate the subject daily and do the rest orally. I also highly recommend copy work, dictation a d narration as the foundation, or all, of your writing program. It really works and lays down important foundational skills.

We have been doing daily copywork, which I really like. Maybe I have been requiring too much: as in FLL, WWE, other copywork, as well as writing in other subjects (fill in the blank exercises.)

Fine motor skills are the reason I had him begin playing the violin. It was the only item on his preschool assessment that I was told needed improvement. Hmmmmm.

:lurk5:

I've got a 7yo who was sent to an OT at 4yo for fm delays...didn't even draw stick people, etc...

I have been (overly) cautious about not giving him too much too soon...he has a very nice cursive hand (and fairly typical print for a 7yo). He's a slow and careful writer though (obviously still in the copywork stage). I carefully temper how much writing I require...It's a fine line between ramping it up to give him practice and keeping it minimal to avoid an intense hatred of the work. I don't want to give him so much that he begins rushing through, developing bad habits....or so little that he doesn't grow in ability...???

I think children develop the fm skills/strenght and the eyesight (I found later that this same ds has visual perception issues too...) and the *desire* to write at different times, and yet we (as in Americans) push all 5yo to ramp it up in September regardless of the child's development. It's the *push* that turns lots of kids off....

I have 2 ds's and one loves writing--the physical action--and the other hates it. One has always had advanced fine motor skills, the other has poor fine motor but better gross motor skills (more athletic). I don't know why, it's just who they are. For my ds with poor handwriting, daily practice has been key to helping him improve. His print is still horrible, but his cursive is ok.

Cinder