Menu

Used "Ex-Library" books sold by Amazon, etc.

There is a series of books I'd like to buy. Just wondered if anyone has bought a book listed as: EX-LIBRARY; used item may have library binding and show stamps, stickers or other marks. Was it in good, okay or acceptable condition? Or is better to buy new?

Our library has six of the eight books in the series. I'm looking to buy the last two. I've requested the library purchase the remainder of the series but that could take months and I've got an eager reader waiting. TIA

I've had pretty good luck with ex-library books. They look like they've been in a library, scuffed and a little grungy, but for the most part they are wonderful. I like them because it's a good way to get hardcovers inexpensively. I've gotten several otherwise out-of-print science books for my early elementary library that way. That's actually why I get them - cheap hardcovers, often for less than a brand-new paperback.

I agree with Eliana - look at the category - "good" or "very good" should be all right. Also, I believe you can contact the seller with questions, and they should be able to tell you about the level of marks or damage to the book.

I just received my first one, a kid book that is out of print. It was as stated, it is obviously loved but still in great shape and my little one was thrilled to have his own copy now! We've borrowed it from the library so much it was time to have it in our own little library.

I buy them frequently. Usually they are in advertised condition. The books we use in our homeschool tend not to be those that have seen heavy circulation.

Until about a year ago, Amazon made a distinct profit from shipping used books. They charged, for example, $3.99 for postage, but sent the bookseller $2.65 of that. The amount paid to the seller covered the cost of media mail, but not the additional cost of packaging.

About a year ago, Amazon decided that this looked bad, so now they send the seller all the postage, but they have increased the percentage they take from each sale to make up for it. Amazon claims that they still take in the same amount of revenue per book, but this depends on the price of the book -- at some point, they get more money doing it this way, depending on the price of the book.

So there is nothing anyone can do about the postage Amazon charges. As a large bookseller (we have 45,000 books listed there), we would prefer to set our own postage rates. When we do that (Amazon isn't our only sales avenue), we charge the exact postage plus the cost of packaging materials.

Postage rates keep going up. Last year, we spent $18,000 on postage alone, not including packaging.

I've bought a good bit of used and Lib/used off Amazon and have had no issues. My only wish is that the shipping was more in line with reality. :tongue_smilie:

I'd just pay attention to the ratings of the specific seller you're considering buying from. I've been very pleased with the used books I've purchased on Amazon, but I do check the ratings before I decide who to order from.

I just received a shipment of books that were sold this way on Friday and they were all in great shape. No problems at all. I have also purchased books from ebay sellers that do the same thing- sell ex-library books. And I haven't had issues there either.