Menu

Okay all you Texans can you tell me about...

Conroe, Texas?

Steven has a job offer that would have us move there. It is for a company that build and assembles derricks for drilling rigs. The contract is for 2-3 years. The catch is he would only be there long enough to learn what he needed to and they would ship him off to Venezuela. For a 30 days on 30 days off.

So, this would be for me and the kids and I want to know what I am getting into. I mean is this a pretty expensive area, high crime??? I do not know too much about Texas and well I have not really had the urge to move there. Yet if he takes this job, the money is worth the move.icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you ladies.

Yes, I am sure the money is excellent! I am south of Houston, but I've driven through Conroe a lot. The only bad thing I have heard about and experienced is the traffic. It can really bottle neck there on 45. There has been a lot of construction, though. I am sure you'll get some more helpful posts. I do know there are quite a few homeschoolers in that area. I hope everything works out!

Conroe is beautiful! The trees are huge, and their is a big lake there. I don't live there, but we visit there from time to time on our way to Florida. It is like any other town in that there are good parts and bad parts. Traffic is nasty on the highway, but just stay away from there during high peak times. Homeschooling is easy down here, and there are many homeschooling families in that area. I have lived in Texas my whole life, so I am a bit bias. :001_smile:

I'm just north of there. It is inexpensive, plenty of shopping, hop, skip and jump from The Woodlands, parks, a couple of homeschool groups(CACHE is the one I hear most about). There's Lake Conroe for recreation--lots of people like to boat, water ski and golf.

There are lots of trees--where they haven't cut them down for development. The climate is summer and not summer. We're in the middle of triple digit heat wave right now. It is very humid. You might need a coat about 5 days in January.

I would stay away from East Montgomery county. There are other nicer areas to choose from. I know quite a few people that live in Conroe and they are all happy.

It's a good choice for people commuting into Houston. There is ALWAYS construction on I-45. I'm almost 40 years old and I can't remember a time there wasn't construction--they have recently expanded part of the freeway into 4 lanes and it makes things a lot easier. As far as hick town reputation it still exists but not near as much as before it has become quite citified in the last few years ;)

I'm on the West side (Conroe is North). My kids' Dad, however, lives in Conroe/deep Woodlands so I am there a lot. (Every 1st, 3rd and 5th weekend ;))

It is near many restaurants, many boating/lake oriented, shopping, and city luxuries.

One of the 2 major homeschool conventions is near Conroe each year. In Texas, to homeschool, all you have to do is teach kids in your home. :D:001_smile:

Houston is about 45 minutes away, depending on traffic. There is no avoiding traffic in the Houston metro area, each side has it's own issues: 45, Sam Houston, I-10, 290, 59. One thing to know is that each major highway in the area has 2 names! That can be confusing at first: 1-10 is the Katy Freeway, for example.

Houston offers a lot of culture, events, shopping, diversity.

There is also The Homeschool Store which is a lot better than the website seems to indicate! The selection of new and used merchandise is terrific. You can sell your stuff, your use it for a trade.

TexANS are indeed a unique and strange breed. They have the strongest "state culture" I've ever encountered. There is a "ranch" and "rodeo" heritage/culture here that is unique and interestiing. The oil industry is a given, and it's usually a positive as it employs lots of people and creates a lot of revenue.

I think the hardest thing for you to get used to is the weather.

I think Conroe is a good location. Pretty lake. Plenty of shopping, food, and resources. The new homeschool store was mentioned, but I haven't made it up there to check it out (I live in West Houston). Traffic is horrible. If you ever take a day trip to Houston, have a late dinner. You will be getting home late that evening. The Renn. fair is fun and you don't even have to go into town for that.

While I cannot say much about Conroe itself I love the area. We go day camping at the lake at least 3 times a year. Would go more but as you have heard the traffic is insane. Even if its just 10 minutes down the interstate it will take you an hour. I live on towards the west of town so Conroe is about an hour or so north. I would move there in a heartbeat if it wasn't so far for dh job. I think you will find lots of support from new friends, Texans have got to be some of the nicest people I ever met.

Edited by mysticamethyst
spelling not good before coffee

If you can handle the weather and the traffic, Conroe is a great place to homeschool. There are several homeschool groups in that area. MASH, THAT which is the teen group for MASH, Superfriends-another teen group, CACHE, PALS, these are the ones that I know of. The Woodlands, just south of Conroe, has lots to offer as well. You are next to Lake Conroe, Sam Houston National Forest, there is a new homeschool store near there, and every conceivable type of shopping and restaurant.

Texas is very homeschool friendly. Lots of great learning opportunities abound.

Edited to add. I see you would be coming from Wyoming. One thing that you will have to get used to is all the people. I try to get any running around done in the morning before noon, ie: grocery shopping, post office, especially anything to do with government offices like drivers license, tag, etc. It isn't nearly as crowded and you can breathe. I avoid going anywhere after noon. The stores are so crowded, you have to wade through the people. And during the summer, it is too hot to go out to do anything.

Edited by shalom22
adding