Menu

Resources for learning about musicals?

kangato3

My daughter is a musicals fanatic. We didn't follow any kind of formal curriculum during elementary school; instead, for a number of years she attended a class through our local junior theater in which the kids put on mini-versions of various musicals each semester. We bought tickets for all the junior theater full-scale musicals, and she got a part in one of them. We bought soundtracks; we rented videos; we acted out and sang them in our living room. As she got older, we went to professional musical theater performances. All you'd need to do if you chose to go along these lines is find a really short summary of the composers' and lyricists' lives to read before you attend. Or sometimes you get extra material about the making of the musical on the DVDs.

If you feel the need for a more formal approach, I recently found a website from the Kennedy Center for the Arts -- try googling ArtsEdge (for some reason the actual www site didn't show up on my print-outs). There are a number of free lesson plans for kids of various ages, including some on musicals and musical theater.

The PBS series on the history of Broadway (which Netflix should have) is a terrific introduction to the history of musical theater. There are also some biographies and memoirs of producers, writers and actors, such as Home by Julie Andrews (the actress) and Act One by Moss Hart (a writer and producer).

The biggies are all the Rogers and Hammerstein shows such as Oklahoma, Sound of Music, King and I. As I type this I'm worried that I may have the wrong set of composer/lyricist, but I'm sure you recognize the titles. There are lots of Broadway shows on tour around the country and many community theater groups. Most any show would be worth going to. If you don't know the show, check it out on Wikipedia before you buy tickets.

Some musicals are based on well known literature:

West Side Story is Romeo and Juliet

Wicked is the "trued story" of the Wicked Witch from Wizard of Oz

Secret Garden is based on the book (great sound track)

Seussical the Musical is based on all the Dr. Seuss books

Recent Disney animated movies are really musicals -- a few have been turned into successful Broadway shows even, such as Beauty and the Beast, and notably Lion King. Mary Poppins is now a musical.

I've heard the most performed show in the world is Andrew Lloyd Webber's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. There is a nice DVD version of it with Donny Osmond and Joan Collins! It has fun music and lyrics. Webber is most well known for Phantom of the Opera, it is sacrilege among theater folk to admit this, but I'm not a big fan of it!

From the late 1800s/early 1900s there's Gilbert and Sulliven operettas. Pirates of Penzance is a hoot.

I've been a pit musician in many a musical over the years, and my oldest ds was a theater geek with a good voice, so I've been immersed in musical theater. It is hard to know whether I'm recommending too much or too little! Get a hold of that PBS series, though, watch a few movie versions, listen to some soundtracks and go see some live productions. Sounds like a very fun thing to do!

ABC did some great new versions of musicals in the recent years. Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella with the pop singer Brandi and Whoopi Goldberg, Once Upon a Mattress (the princess and the pea story) with Carol Burnett, and Music Man with Matthew Broderick. I myself am a fan of the old Shirley Jones Music Man with Robert Preston and a little Ron Howard.

The best part of exploring musicals is you can listen to and sing along with the soundtracks! Have fun!!

Edited by JennW in SoCal

Don't forget Singin' in the Rain and White Christmas. Many places have productions solely done by kids that are called Jr. such as Annie Jr., Singin in the Rain Jr., etc. They are great experiences for actually learning about the technical aspects of musical theatre and what goes on backstage.

Secret Garden is based on the book (great sound track)

Y'think? Maybe I'd like it more if I had seen it on stage. I'm loving the soundtrack for "Into the Woods" at the moment.

Webber is most well known for Phantom of the Opera, it is sacrilege among theater folk to admit this, but I'm not a big fan of it!

You mustn't have seen it performed with a good Phantom then. I'm sure if you'd seen our local bloke, you'd love it. I just can't imagine a world where someone could not like Phantom even after having seen it with a really great Phantom. Oh, don't make me rearrange my world view just now. I'm too busy trying to figure out what to cook to be able to handle deep philosophical thoughts at the moment. :svengo:

:P

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

I found How Does the Show Go On? An Introduction to the Theater by Thomas Schumacher very informative about all the work that goes into producing a Broadway show. Be aware, though, that this book is produced by Disney, and as such, overwhelmingly focuses on the Broadway shows that Disney has produced in New York. Also along the same lines is Bravo! Brava! A Night at the Opera: Behind the Scenes with Composers, Cast, and Crew, which shows how much work goes into an opera production. I have also found this website interesting: www.musical-theater-kids.com

Stanley Green has a book Broadway Musicals: Show by Show. There is also a book for grades 9-12 called Appreciating Musicals.

A local radio station broadcasts a syndicated show from New York called "A Night on the Town" with host George Harter (www.musicaltheaterheritage.com). You may want to check if a station in your area broadcasts it. There are some podcasts of the show on their website.

If you child get really ambitious and decides to put on a musical, you can buy scripts for musical theatre classics from Hal Leonard, Musical Theatre International or Penders. From Rodgers & Hammerstein Theatricals, the ones meant for children and teens include Getting to Know...Cinderella, Getting to Know...Oklahoma!, Getting to Know...Once Upon a Mattress (a spin-off of "The Princess and the Pea"), Getting to Know...The King and I. Musical Theatre International has load of "Junior" shows for kids/teens (with adult input) to put on.

You mustn't have seen it performed with a good Phantom then. I'm sure if you'd seen our local bloke, you'd love it. I just can't imagine a world where someone could not like Phantom even after having seen it with a really great Phantom. Oh, don't make me rearrange my world view just now. I'm too busy trying to figure out what to cook to be able to handle deep philosophical thoughts at the moment. :svengo:

:P

Rosie

I knew I'd blow someone's mind -- sorry about that Rosie. :tongue_smilie:

I have a very skewed perception of musicals as I've experienced most of them from the pit. Admittedly I haven't played a production of Phantom, but have played string quartet arrangements of the music that are so schmaltzy I need insulin shots afterward.

I knew I'd blow someone's mind -- sorry about that Rosie. :tongue_smilie:

I have a very skewed perception of musicals as I've experienced most of them from the pit. Admittedly I haven't played a production of Phantom, but have played string quartet arrangements of the music that are so schmaltzy I need insulin shots afterward.

Maybe that's the problem. See, if you were there with the performance going, the evil chuckles would replace the insulin. I'm just sure of it.

Heheh,

Rosie

I have to agree with JennW when it comes to Andrew Lloyd Weber. So saccharine it makes my teeth hurt, and "All I Ask of You" makes me want to throw up--even seeing it live can't save it for me (but I completely admit that I'm a music snob).

I second the Gilbert and Sullivan suggestion because they were such a big influence on later British and American musicals. And G&S are popular enough that you can probably find a production in your area. The Kings Singers also have a fun G&S CD that I enjoy.

I have to agree with JennW when it comes to Andrew Lloyd Weber. So saccharine it makes my teeth hurt, and "All I Ask of You" makes me want to throw up--even seeing it live can't save it for me (but I completely admit that I'm a music snob).

How do you go with Eponine in Les Miserables? The adult Cosette makes me want to throw things. Eponine makes me want to find the scriptwriters and throw sharp pointy things directly at their faces. How could they reduce her character to that? :svengo: :cursing:

Rosie

Just enjoy the musicals! If we can compare music to poetry, musicals are like a well-worn Shel Silverstein collection...just listen and laugh and roll your eyes and cry and experience it. Really. Save the study for another day. .02

And. :svengo: I'm feeling anxious and defensive and bordering on snarky at the mention that Phantom is so low somebody's list of good musicals (:tongue_smilie:). I personally base how much I like a musical by how fun it is to sing the soprano parts...Phantom ROCKS!!!:tongue_smilie: (Just ask my neighbors...:blush:)

Pre-watch everything. Many musicals are...how shall I say...well, not G rated...and by not G rated I mean :scared:

You've already gotten lots of good advice. I love musicals. I have loved them ever since I first saw The Wizard of Oz as a kindergartner. I have a friend who is equally passionate, and we often speak to one another in lines from musicals. That probably sounds weird, but it's actually so much fun, and certain lines just beg to be sung in specific situations.

Anyway....

I would recommend that you just play the music in your house, in your car, wherever you are. Read the libretto and explain the context of the songs. If you can see some live performances, great. If not, rent some film versions of really great things like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Oklahoma, Singin' in the Rain, etc.

I hope this helps! :001_smile:

How do you go with Eponine in Les Miserables? The adult Cosette makes me want to throw things. Eponine makes me want to find the scriptwriters and throw sharp pointy things directly at their faces. How could they reduce her character to that? :svengo: :cursing:

Rosie

:svengo:

Eponine deserves a special thanks for her role in getting me through auditions and into several high school music groups...without "On My Own" I would have been stuck singing musicals on my own in the mirror and into a hairbrush. And, without those high school music groups, I would have never pursued music into the college years and without THAT I wouldn't have this student loan debt...so yes...lets throw sharp pointy things!!!:tongue_smilie::lol:

I found How Does the Show Go On? An Introduction to the Theater by Thomas Schumacher very informative about all the work that goes into producing a Broadway show.

I think my kids will really enjoy this. Amazon has a bargain price on it right now. Thanks for the suggestion!

I think I'm going to start off the year with some opera and then move over into Broadway musicals. Where does Gilbert and Sullivan fit into the picture? They are usually described as operettas, but are not covered in any of my resources.

G&S have their roots in Offenbach's comic operas, which had witty and satirical elements. I usually don't like to cite Wikipedia, but this article might give you a good starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_influence_of_Gilbert_and_Sullivan

G&S have their roots in Offenbach's comic operas, which had witty and satirical elements. I usually don't like to cite Wikipedia, but this article might give you a good starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_influence_of_Gilbert_and_Sullivan

Thank you. I think exploring some G&S will be a great tie-in between opera and musical theater.

NOOOOOOO! I nearly threw up I cried so much!

Just listen to the soundtrack.

:eek:

Rosie

Maybe I need to watch it again. It was always my favorite. Or perhaps I just have terrible taste! :lol:

:iagree:

Maybe I was an overly sensitive child, but that film kind of traumatized me when I saw it the first time.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to need to watch it again.

For my musical-loving kid, I tried to coordinate some musicals/movies that worked with the time period we were doing in history. I didn't think to do this until we hit late 3rd or early 4th grade (I'd have to go back and look). Even something like Shirley Temple's "Little Colonel" was useful in talking about perceptions of that time period from Hollywood and a later time vs. the realities. Talking about the movies vs. the books is also useful.

It's a concept album rather than a full musical (though I'd love to see it staged), but Tony Garone's The Epic of Gilgamesh is fabulous. http://www.garone.net/tony/gilgamesh.html

I found How Does the Show Go On? An Introduction to the Theater by Thomas Schumacher very informative about all the work that goes into producing a Broadway show. Be aware, though, that this book is produced by Disney, and as such, overwhelmingly focuses on the Broadway shows that Disney has produced in New York.

I just received my copy of this book, and oh my. I love it. It's a really nice book. I know that some children perform on stage regularly, and attend live theater often enough that these things are already really familiar. But I think that even those kids would enjoy a book like this. First of all, the layout is gorgeous. The colors are rich and vibrant. The book contains all kinds of cool things like a sample Playbill, a couple of scripts (I mean, paper scripts stuck in pockets, and you can pull them out!), sketches and swatches (individual swatches of paper, stuck in an envelope), liftable photos that show actors before and after make-up, wigs, etc.It covers the actual physical layout of a theater, how to read a ticket, kinds of shows, styles of theaters, lighting, costumes, props, backstage, lots and lots of stuff.It's usually $20, but you can get it on Amazon for only $8, so you really can't go wrong. And I actually have to give Disney credit. While this book highlights several of their live productions, I don't think that it is a cheesy attempt to make children beg for Disney stuff, you know? :001_smile:

Shifra,

Thanks so much for this recommendation. I think that my children will really enjoy this book and learn from it. :)