History Lives Series (Church History)

Aloha2U

What do you think of this 5 volume set?

Peril and Peace: Chronicles of the Ancient Church

Monks and Mystics: Chronicles of the Medieval Church

Courage and Conviction: Chronicles of the Reformation Church

Hearts and Hands: Chronicles of the Awakening Church

Rescue and Redeem: Volume 5 Chronicles of the Modern Church

I'm considering adding these to our history read aloud (CHOW) this upcoming school year, but hope to get a little more feedback before I make an investment.

We are reading through this series and I really like them. For the OP, I wouldn't recommend them yet. The chapters are long and my almost 2nd grader still has a hard time paying attention for such a long time.

I think they are great for logic stage though!!

As far as a particular slant/perspective the authors were educated at Moody Bible Inst., Trinity Evang. Divinity School, one is now a PHD candidate at Westminister. I'd say protestant/reformed.

ETA: For the OP - A series like Hero Tales may be better suited. Unfortunately they are not in chronological order - you'd have to figure that out for yourself.

Although I am not Reformation/Protestant, I am wondering if this would work well to help explain how religion and history influenced each other? Any thoughts? This is for my logic/dialetic child.

I do see the third book is now in the SOTW AG and is in TOG as part of history over a number of weeks.

Although I am not Reformation/Protestant, I am wondering if this would work well to help explain how religion and history influenced each other? Any thoughts? This is for my logic/dialetic child.

I do see the third book is now in the SOTW AG and is in TOG.

Yes - it would. I can think of several stories that do just what you describe. We are only up to the third book - so I don't know going forward how that will play out - But I am interested to find out!! Oh and several of the people are in Homeschool in the Woods timeline figures.

Are you catholic? Up until the point we are in now - The books didn't seem anti-catholic at all. However - once you get to the reformation - those differences are discussed - and again I don't know how the "slant" of the book will change. But I don't want to recommend them if there's a chance it might be offensive. But I don't think that would happen until about the middle of book 3. Even with the short chapter on the Catholic Reformation - I didn't think it was a scathing chapter against Catholicism in any way - but I'm not catholic - so what I might consider to be just "matter of fact," could be inappropriate for someone else. Just saying.

Yes - it would. I can think of several stories that do just what you describe. We are only up to the third book - so I don't know going forward how that will play out - But I am interested to find out!! Oh and several of the people are in Homeschool in the Woods timeline figures.

Are you catholic? Up until the point we are in now - The books didn't seem anti-catholic at all. However - once you get to the reformation - those differences are discussed - and again I don't know how the "slant" of the book will change. But I don't want to recommend them if there's a chance it might be offensive. But I don't think that would happen until about the middle of book 3. Even with the short chapter on the Catholic Reformation - I didn't think it was a scathing chapter against Catholicism in any way - but I'm not catholic - so what I might consider to be just "matter of fact," could be inappropriate for someone else. Just saying.

;) Born and raised strict Catholic, with private school and nuns in full habit; but I'm no longer Catholic, so I understand what you mean. :D

I have finished the first book and am almost through the second book. I am curious to know if your children remember individuals from the books, especially if they had not heard their story before? One thing that was problematic for me was that the writing style made the characters seem similar almost like a formula. These fascinating men and women seem to lose a lot of vibrancy or individualism. The books remind me of the Benge and Benge biographies.