Menu

What to do with Augustus Ceasar's World?

missmoe

When we did Foster's books I'd write difficult words or names on a board for the older kids to see as I read. Then the kids would take turns (one child a day) doing narrations of the day's readings. They could use the written notes as cues if they needed them. The youngest listeners would color or build during the readings- but sometimes they'd narrate as well.

I'm using it currently in RTR (MFW) with my 6th grader.

Right now I'm more or less reading it to myself, then summarizing the chapter by doing a dramatic reading/retelling from the text instead of a word by word read aloud of the text. I'm not sure why on this book, but I'm getting physically tired from reading it word for word out loud. So, we add in a dramatic flare with it. The other day I ended up putting a toy snake in a bowl of fruit to act out the death of Cleopatra.

I have my daughter narrate it back to me. I've also gone to making copies of the 2 page spread of pictures that happen right before the unit sections. That helps us to keep track of everyone in the story and then at the end we have a "pre made" timeline and notebook pages of those people and events; those go in the history notebook. coloring is optional.

I've done this book about 5 years ago with my oldest, so I know it will get easier on me with reading it out loud. But for now, the copying of the unit sections and dramatic retelling will do. My current 6th grader does other notebooking summaries and art work, so it all balances out.

-crystal