Menu

In search of an excellent Art program for little ones...

hsmom

I have that, yet I am not too impressed with it. Not as fun as I would have liked it to be.

My dd is 12 and extremely artistic. So this year I'm looking for some more art for her. What are you looking for and what did you not like or find in this book?

My dd is 12 and extremely artistic. So this year I'm looking for some more art for her. What are you looking for and what did you not like or find in this book?

It is very schoolish to me. I am looking for fun activities that also teach the lessons. Not a worksheet that states draw lines this way and that way then add some color. Or mix these colors and you get, it is the extreme basics and IMO dry.

:iagree:I was very unimpressed when looking it over, especially considering DDs wonderful drawing skills and wishes to be an artist, but I forced myself to use it and we really like it and learn. It is easy and inexpensive to boot. What's not to love?

Edit: Okay, I didn't read the replies. LOL. Did you do the projects in the back? They look like more fun. Or... hand the book to your kids and let them choose which ones to do? Seems a shame to waste it.

Of Mary Ann Kohl's books, we have loved Preschool Art and First Art. We've just started using Art with Anything, and it's fun so far. I also really want to check out the Big Messy Art book -- it's all about art on a grand scale.

Global Art and Discovering Great Artists can tie in well with history and/or culture studies.

We've been using Artistic Pursuits and just did our first Meet the Masters lesson today!

I am quite ambitious regarding art for this year, and also want to start up Drawing With Children for learning how to draw realistically.

For fun, we want to utilize a bunch of the books listed here, Mary Ann Kohl, Discovering Great Artists, etc...

Did I mention I was over-psyched about art this year?

I really like Doing Art Together

http://www.amazon.com/Doing-Art-Together-Muriel-Silberstein-Storfer/dp/0810926679/ref=pd_cp_b_0

It has very open ended projects in painting, collage, and clay.

AND great set up ideas (use an old cake pan and put the paints, cup of water, and a damp sponge in it).

The projects build very nicely- first you paint with only the three primary colors, then add in black and white at later sessions really learning about mixing colors and putting them on the page.

It's also very affordable (hardcover from $0.31), even if you don't follow it, I think it has great ideas for teaching art!