Menu

Coconut oil users...

Where do you buy your coconut oil...local store or on-line? Is there a "better brand?" I know this has been discussed in the past, but I didn't take notes!

Just so I'm clear...I think I remember people saying they pretty much use it to replace regular oils. Also, how does it work in pie crusts? Is there anything you can't do with it? I use organic lard and make THE BEST pie crust recipe from Ree's site.

Thanks for any info!

~Holly

Cooking especially b/c of its high heat index. Olive oil doesn't "hold up" as well under high heat conditions and thus some of the healthy benefits are destroyed at high heat. So, we use coconut oil instead for cooking and use olive oil as an after (salad dressings, spritz over pasta, etc.). Garden of Life used to have a coconut oil that we really loved (I don't know if they make their own anymore). I buy what our health food stores has...extra virgin unrefined cocnut oil. I've use Spectrum and some other brand that I can't recall. We use it in place of butter sometimes as well for toast, popcorn, in pancake mix, etc. I also had several TBSP's to our smoothies. Good stuff!

We use coconut oil for most things (we also use butter and olive oil). I use expeller pressed coconut oil for when I don't want the coconut flavor, like in stir frys and cooking, but use the virgin coconut oil in baking. I buy mine in bulk from Tropical Traditions:

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/

If you sign up for their email list, they occasionally have sales where they offer free shipping, which is a good deal.

Then publix sells it in the whole foods section. It's Spectrum brand and not bad. I use it for frying eggs and things like that. It liquifies, I just checked mine (I keep it on the counter) and it's about 1/2 melted today. Because of this I think it would be hard to use for pie crusts anytime down here except during the winter. Good luck

Melissa

"Extra virgin" smells like coconuts, and should only be used when that taste would add to the finished product. It is also crazy expensive for us ($16 per pound when I priced it 2 years ago). Maybe healthier though.

Louella brand of coconut oil (not extra virgin) sells at Super Walmart, $3.80 for a 2 1/2 pound tub, last I checked.

Where do you buy your coconut oil...local store or on-line? Is there a "better brand?" I know this has been discussed in the past, but I didn't take notes!

Just so I'm clear...I think I remember people saying they pretty much use it to replace regular oils. Also, how does it work in pie crusts? Is there anything you can't do with it? I use organic lard and make THE BEST pie crust recipe from Ree's site.

Thanks for any info!

~Holly

http://www.vitacost.com also sells coconut oil for a fraction of the price you pay elsewhere. :) It makes the *best* bread - so yummy and the smell is to die for!

I use Spectrum, but I've tried Tropical Traditions before. Tropical Traditions is really excellent, but too pricey for me.

To fry things sometimes I mix equal parts of coconut oil and olive oil, or coconut oil, olive oil and sesame oil. That way the flavors aren't so dominant.

We use coconut oil for most things (we also use butter and olive oil). I use expeller pressed coconut oil for when I don't want the coconut flavor, like in stir frys and cooking, but use the virgin coconut oil in baking. I buy mine in bulk from Tropical Traditions:

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/

If you sign up for their email list, they occasionally have sales where they offer free shipping, which is a good deal.

I got a really good deal from them complete with free shipping on a large container - I can't remember how large - 5 gallons maybe.

I get mine at Tropical Traditions too! I do use the expeller pressed virgin. I don't mind the coconut taste at all. I even use it on my face as a moisturizer. For me, I use it because of the health benefits so I have to use the virgin expeller pressed stuff. it is wonderful when making popcorn with it!

If you order it online, do so before really hot weather gets here. it is liquid above 76 degrees. I buy ours by the gallon, but a gallon lasts a year or two!