Menu

Dd is loving AoPS Number Theory

A bit of a happy braggishy thing. :) My dd, just turned 12, is loving the AoPS Number Theory book. She adamantly refused to do LOF Pre-Alg/Bio this summer, so I told her she had to do something, and this is what she picked. She just finished Singapore 6b - I wasn't really sure if she could handle it, but I'd been feeling this year like I'd been holding her back for her twin's sake, and figured we could take it slow if we needed to. She is doing great with it - we'll get about 1/2way through this summer; we'd plan to finish it for next summer's math. I did tell her she could skip the challenge problems for now (figured we could come back to them when she's a bit older and perhaps has a bit of Algebra under her belt), but she's doing all the regular exercises no problem. She asked me today if there were more number theory courses she could take when she finished the book!

I'm so proud of her; she's so proud of herself. I'm so happy I've separated the twins for math!! (it really wasn't a big issue till this last year)

Heh, I'm figuring this'll make the first few chapters of Singapore DM in the fall a piece of cake. :)

(and y'know what? I'm loving the Number Theory book... I feel like it's giving me a deeper understanding of things - why don't they teach the cool stuff in school?)

Edited by matroyshka

Glad to hear this, matroyshka!

I remember back when you were debating whether or not to do the number theory this summer. My daughter loved, loved this course in middle school (back when they only had the course online, and not the textbook). Like you, I had a lot of fun following along with the problems and learned a lot along with her.

If your dd wants to follow it up eventually like my daughter did, you could try the intermediate class (much more difficult) - we did that one in grade 10 I think. There's no textbook for it yet. My dd STILL didn't have enough, so in grade 12 she did the epgy university level number theory class. Again, a jump up in level and very fun & challenging.

Good luck in your math endeavors:)

~Kathy

Good to know... Though I've got a few of the AofPS books in my Rainbow wishlist and am fighting any and all incentives to make the order. :P

If your dd wants to follow it up eventually like my daughter did, you could try the intermediate class (much more difficult) - we did that one in grade 10 I think. There's no textbook for it yet. My dd STILL didn't have enough, so in grade 12 she did the epgy university level number theory class. Again, a jump up in level and very fun & challenging.

Thank you thank you! I didn't realize they had classes that they didn't have texts for. She'll be really happy to hear this (though I'm thinking waiting till about grade 10 for something like that is about right. :))

Now I'll have to buy this too... my math-loathing dd just started probability and statistics and she LIKES it. Perhaps number theory will be similar in its effect.

We have not done number theory yet, but my 12 y/o LOVED AoPS Intro to Algebra. We parents love it too. You notice on every page that the author loves math, is excited about it, finds it incredible fun - and this feeling radiates and inspires the student. (Joy and fun were concepts completely absent from Saxon which we had used for pre-algebra)

She is going to start on the Geometry book this Fall.

Agnes

Matroyshka - Now you know you have to give me a link to that book? :D Please, please let me know your thoughts on SM DM once you get into it!

Here's the link! :D

I sure hope she likes DM - looks friendly enough. :) The first chapter is on factorization, divisors and multiples, which is what we've been doing all summer in Number Theory. It's also gotten her very comfy with exponents, which she'd barely dealt with before.

We'll be jumping ship to Foerster's after DM 1a/b. Though her affinity for the AoPS book half makes me wonder if the AoPS Intro to Algebra would've been good for her - but I already own the Foerster's. :tongue_smilie: