Menu

What works for repairing scratched DVD's and CD's?

YES! We found paste car wax works better than any of the available kits. Use a CD/DVD safe cloth to apply a very small amount - wipe from the center outward, never round-and-round. Let it dry, and then buff off with a clean CD/DVD safe cloth, again, wiping outward. We've saved several DVDs this way.

Our Hastings store will resurface them for like $2. Best thing I've ever found. It really works, when nothing else will. You might call places like Hastings, Blockbuster, or any store that rents/sells dvds. They probably have a machine that resurfaces them very cheaply.

Heloise (Hints from Heloise) recommends toothpaste... the plain white paste.

I've not tried it, though, but I kept the article. I'll have to bookmark this page now, too, as the paste car wax sounds intriguing as well. Maybe it has something to do with 'paste' being the ingredient in these items.

Heloise (Hints from Heloise) recommends toothpaste... the plain white paste.

I've not tried it, though, but I kept the article. I'll have to bookmark this page now, too, as the paste car wax sounds intriguing as well. Maybe it has something to do with 'paste' being the ingredient in these items.

I'd be hesitant to use any kind of toothpaste -- even the "plain" paste probably has some sort of an abrasive in it. The wax somewhat fills in the scratches. You often have to do it repeatedly, but it's better than throwing out the disc!

I'd be hesitant to use any kind of toothpaste -- even the "plain" paste probably has some sort of an abrasive in it. The wax somewhat fills in the scratches. You often have to do it repeatedly, but it's better than throwing out the disc!

I'm with you. It seems contrary, doesn't it? As I said, we've not tried it.

DH uses a machine & cleaner for now, but I'll tell him about the wax as the machine cleaner is costly, especially when we have to clean every.single.disc that Netflix sends us.

especially when we have to clean every.single.disc that Netflix sends us.

We subscribe to the Cdn version of this service. I wash those discs with Ivory liquid dishsoap to get the gunk off them. It doesn't help with big scratches but it's good for a cleaning. Wash, rinse, dry with soft flannel.

You might ask your local library if they have a disk repairer/cleaner. If they do, ask what they would charge to do your discs. Most libraries have these if they lend CDs and DVDs. Even our little library has one. We charge $1.00 per disc to run it through the process.