Menu

I made it to page 9 on the TT thread- help!!

Rebecca

I made it through page 9 on the mega Teaching Textbooks thread.

Wow.

That was some serious math dialogue.

I am pondering our math as my son did not place as high in the percentile ranking on IOWA in math as I would like... we are currently Saxon users and are finishing 54 to move to 65 for his fifth grade year.

My other sons (younger) use SM through 2B or so and then move into Saxon. And in fact- my rising fourth grader will be moving into 54 for this year- or something else...

This what I want to know:

1.) Will TT prepare son for college level math work?

2.) Will TT increase my son's math scores on his IOWA tests and, in the future, on PSAT/SAT/ACT tests?

3.)Will TT give my son a solid, sufficient math foundation. I could also use LOF or something to supplement.

Note:

I took two levels of College Calculus at a private university. I had advanced high school math. However, I am NOT a math person. (BA- English/Literature, etc.)

I just want my kids to have what they need in math. I will never be able to challenge them the way some of you moms (on that mega thread) can...

Someone- help and give me the basic down-low.

I thought I heard that TT does not prepare students adequately for higher level science. This I need to know!

Thank you so much!!!

Rebecca

Edited by Rebecca
clarification

I made it through page 9 on the mega Teaching Textbooks thread.

Wow.

That was some serious math dialogue.

I am pondering our math as my son did not place as high in the percentile ranking on IOWA in math as I would like... we are currently Saxon users and are finishing 54 to move to 65 for his fifth grade year.

My other sons (younger) use SM through 2B or so and then move into Saxon. And in fact- my rising fourth grader will be moving into 54 for this year- or something else...

This what I want to know:

1.) Will TT prepare son for college level math work?

2.) Will TT increase my son's math scores on his IOWA tests and, in the future, on PSAT/SAT/ACT tests?

3.)Will TT give my son a solid, sufficient math foundation. I could also use LOF or something to supplement.

Note:

I took two levels of College Calculus at a private university. I had advanced high school math. However, I am NOT a math person. (BA- English/Literature, etc.)

I just want my kids to have what they need in math. I will never be able to challenge them the way some of you moms (on that mega thread) can...

Someone- help and give me the basic down-low.

I thought I heard that TT does not prepare students adequately for higher level science. This I need to know!

Thank you so much!!!

Rebecca

Rebecca, quite honestly, I think it really depends on who you ask. As you can see the TT threads get rather long, complicated and ...ahem....heated. I am NOT a mathy mom, but certainly do not want to burn any bridges for my kids. My older crew used Saxon, with the DVD's up through advanced math at home...and were B+ students. The girls both bombed the SAT math portions...so, I switched ds to TT when he began to have major meltdowns using Saxon. I think you can read my reviews and comments/ history etc. if you do a board search.

I am no math guru...and can only do what I can do for my kids....so far, TT has been an adequate program for my son. He understands the work and then uses what he learns to review some of the more in depth problems in a Larsen's text. he could not STAND Dana Mosely's DVD's. He said they were verbose and confusing...and I watched with him and had to agree (after I fell asleep.) We will finish up the Pre-calc this year...and I will consider the courses on his transcript to be Algebra 1 & 2. (He used Jacobs for Geometry) and then I will have him test into math at the cc for 12th grade.

Again, I would read the past threads and then try to do what is best for your child. THEN, NEVER read another thread on it again...because you will always feel as if you should have made another decision.

I don't think TT IS the most rigorous Math out there. I know it usn't. But, it served its purpose for us and I am glad we used it, even though I get weird butterflies in my stomach every year when I think of math!

Faithe

Thank you so much for replying!

It was actually your post on your kids tanking their SAT's (after using Saxon) that struck home for me...)

I am now on page 15... or so.

I have to say- there are maths in that thread I have NEVER heard of...

We are using Saxon with DIVE- possibly with SaxonTeacher when things really get hard...

Anyway-

after I posted this- I decided to do what a good student should and find the Teaching Textbooks site for myself!:D

So- I am currently loading the demo (I have dial-up).

Also- we recently switched to SL for this coming year (with WP for my oldest) and I love it and they strongly endorse Teaching Textbooks- so strongly- I am really taking a look- even though I heard that it wasn't strong enough for those high school sciences...

I feel "safe" with Saxon and I need to provide a solid math for my kids...

I appreciate your response so much.

Thanks,

Rebecca

Well-

because I don't have high speed internet- I can't really look at the samples.

My DH can at work, though... so I will ask for him to next week...

Any input regarding my three issues:

Test Scores, College, and Science-

is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Rebecca

:bigear:

I have waded through the long TT thread a couple of times now. :blink: My son is begging to do only TT for 4th grade. I have looked at samples on the TT site and had my son take the placement test.

Since we are required to take a standardized test yearly by our state, I was concerned whether he would be adequately prepared for it. I called TT to see if their curriculum would cover everything necessary to do alright on the test. They told me that he should be fine. I was somewhat comforted. :-)

I haven't seen TT except for the samples and placement test, so I can't know for sure, but somethings seemed so simplified on what I saw. (I looked at 5th and 6th) When I say simplified, I don't mean the concepts covered, but more the problem solving aspect. I looked through MM, which I own, and the word problems seemed much more in depth and complicated. Honestly, MM looks really good to me. I would just love it if my son could do more math without me. :tongue_smilie: I have two others to school and the rest of our curriculum is fairly teacher intensive. I don't want to regret it later though. ;)

I have about decided that he can use TT 5th grade if he supplements with about a page a day of MM. I just wish that there was a curriculum with content more like MM, but in the format of TT. That would just make my day!

Maybe TT will grow on me when I can see it. Maybe it is more in depth than what is on the placement test. I hope so.

I know that my son will be very happy with the format. I guess that I will see how it goes. :-)

I would be really happy to hear from anyone whose children have used TT and taken a standardized test. (especially elementary age) Since we are required to take the problem solving section of the IOWA test every year, I would really appreciate any feedback.

Angela

I would be really happy to hear from anyone whose children have used TT and taken a standardized test. (especially elementary age) Since we are required to take the problem solving section of the IOWA test every year, I would really appreciate any feedback.

Ask me that at the end of this coming school year haha. I plan to do TT5 with no supplementing this year for 5th grade. And 5th grade is a required standardized testing year in my state. We'll see how it goes. :D

Is MM Math Mammoth?

How does that compare with Singapore?

Thanks for chiming in on this thread.

I appreciate it!

I was advised to only switch math if my student was a.) crying over math or b.) not challenged by his math.

So- I think we will probably stick with Saxon.

TT does so appeal to me because of all the students I have and will have...

My math teacher sister is going to look at it for me as is my husband (a CPA).

Thanks again,

Rebecca

Here is a link to a thread where the two are compared.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195462&highlight=mm+singapore

My two younger kids are going to use Math Mammoth this year. (1st and 3rd)

I really like how the explanations are on the student page. I was afraid that Singapore wouldn't have clear enough explanations for me in the upper elementary grades. I have forgotten so much math from non-use. I am going to have to refresh as I go. :001_smile:

I would love to hear what your sister and husband think of TT.

Angela

Rebecca,

I ended up purchasing TT, trying it out and returning it. Here's my follow up thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180279

I bombed the SATs and did great on the ACTs. Math has never been my strong suit, and it CERTAINLY isn't my dd's, but I was concerned about the lack of review in TT. You really need review in math to keep the skills fresh, and I just didn't see them doing that.

HTH!

Dorinda

I bombed the SATs and did great on the ACTs. Math has never been my strong suit, and it CERTAINLY isn't my dd's, but I was concerned about the lack of review in TT. You really need review in math to keep the skills fresh, and I just didn't see them doing that.

HTH!

Dorinda

:confused: It's spiral. They are always reviewing. They don't have a "review" section like some curriculums. For example, DD is working through a section on Geometry right now and there are a few long division with decimal problems mixed in to the practice set. She did that at the beginning of the book.

We like TT here but I'm going to have to switch DD to something else because I know it is too easy for her. We're in our second year using it, and I may just start supplementing.

Thank you so much Dorinda!

I read your follow-up.

So what did you decide to do with your daughter?

I am intrigued my Math Mammoth...

Rebecca

I sat down with DD and let her choose. She chose Saxon. :D She's in 5/4, and I feel really comfortable with our decision. It reviews, it covers concepts in a fashion she understands, and she really likes that she can give it a go on her own before I get involved. I'm not using the DIVE CDs, but it's nice that that option is out there. I'm not at all worried about her test scores (we haven't tested her yet). I don't think the problem is necessarily curriculum when it comes to test scores. It's the day, it's the child's attitude, was the math portion given on the same day as another portion, was the math portion 2-3 days into testing etc. When we test our dd (this year), if there's a specific portion of the math that she bombs, I might focus on that throughout the school year. So, if she misses all the word problems, I would probably pick up a workbook or something that worked with her on that. But, since it's not unusual for students to have different grades than test scores, I don't know that I'll worry too much about it.

Do you know what he missed? Could it be he just wasn't efficient enough while taking the test? Maybe you could buy some test prep booklets and practice throughout the year. There's a reason the public schools do test taking skills all year, kids have to learn to take those tests!

:confused: It's spiral. They are always reviewing. They don't have a "review" section like some curriculums. For example, DD is working through a section on Geometry right now and there are a few long division with decimal problems mixed in to the practice set. She did that at the beginning of the book.

We like TT here but I'm going to have to switch DD to something else because I know it is too easy for her. We're in our second year using it, and I may just start supplementing.

I personally don't think that's good enough, at least not for my dd. We need days that are just review. I also don't think that one or two problems constitutes as enough of a spiral. Especially if your child doesn't get it. I felt there needed to be more practice problems and more review for my dd because she may get it one day, but has trouble retaining it to the next.

This is just my opinion. I try to say it about all curriculum advice but sometimes I don't succeed:001_smile: All I can do is tell you what worked and didn't work for us. We have tried almost every math program out there - not an exaggeration, and I KNOW there's no perfect solution. If I had my way, dd would use A Beka and like it. :glare: But, it wasn't working for her and it was becoming a source of contention between us. So, here we are! My youngest uses A Beka and LOVES it. She wants no other program and doesn't understand what's wrong with her sister:lol:. Is it A Beka? No, it's the kid. Plain and simple.

I have spent hours on these boards discussing math, and all I can say is, "GOOD LUCK REBECCA!" and "It will be OK." :lol: Do what Faithe said, read, pick and ignore us for the rest of the year!:lol:

HTH!

Blessings!

Dorinda

Thank you!

If only I was a "strong" math person like I am with L.A. Sigh.

However, I will say that I really, really like the looks of the Math Mammoth samples!

I think I might switch my younger set over into these and use this to supplement my son(s) in Saxon. It looks very thorough yet simple!

Dorinda- you repeated exactly what my own teacher sister said to me about the test scores and she said I should practice for the test two weeks before I give it if I really want to see a big jump in the scores.

Still. Math is my weaknes. And I know it. I think Math Mammoth might have what I need to support our math plans and also not break our budget!

When I did manage to look at TT- it seemed like he would place into 6.

Rebecca

I personally don't think that's good enough, at least not for my dd. We need days that are just review. I also don't think that one or two problems constitutes as enough of a spiral. Especially if your child doesn't get it. I felt there needed to be more practice problems and more review for my dd because she may get it one day, but has trouble retaining it to the next.

This is just my opinion. I try to say it about all curriculum advice but sometimes I don't succeed:001_smile: All I can do is tell you what worked and didn't work for us. We have tried almost every math program out there - not an exaggeration, and I KNOW there's no perfect solution.

<snip>

I have spent hours on these boards discussing math, and all I can say is, "GOOD LUCK REBECCA!" and "It will be OK." :lol: Do what Faithe said, read, pick and ignore us for the rest of the year!:lol:

HTH!

Blessings!

Dorinda

I totally understand! I have a mathy kid that doesn't need too much review. So my perspective is that it's enough for her. But the lack of challenging problems seems to be the issue for her. She likes it because it's fun but when she I asked her what the assignments are like, she says she's bored. :001_huh:

I have no problems picking other curriculum but math makes me want to bang my head against the wall. I'm fairly mathy myself. I just don't want to screw it up because my DD is mathy and I really want to develop that. She finishes TT soon and we will be switching.

I'm going to pick and ignore all of your opinions!!! The perfect program just isn't out there and I'm out of energy! :lol:

That is interesting about TT not being enough review. Being a spiral program, I was counting on it having plenty of review. If we do all MM, I will have to include all of the review pages. I was worrying about my son forgetting things since it is a mastery program. I wasn't even considering that TT might not have enough review. :001_smile:

Hmmm....maybe if I let him go ahead and do TT and then come along a bit later with a page of MM for each concept to really cement it and carry it a bit deeper? My son doesn't want to have to do any more math than necessary. :)

Oh, how I wish that there was a MM computer edition! All my problems would be solved. hee hee

I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments.

Angela

Thank you!

If only I was a "strong" math person like I am with L.A. Sigh.

Rebecca

Me too Rebecca. :crying: Me too.

I'm going to pick and ignore all of your opinions!!! The perfect program just isn't out there and I'm out of energy! :lol:

:smilielol5:

LALALA! I can't hear you!

:smilielol5:

That is interesting about TT not being enough review. Being a spiral program, I was counting on it having plenty of review. If we do all MM, I will have to include all of the review pages. I was worrying about my son forgetting things since it is a mastery program. I wasn't even considering that TT might not have enough review. :001_smile:

Hmmm....maybe if I let him go ahead and do TT and then come along a bit later with a page of MM for each concept to really cement it and carry it a bit deeper? My son doesn't want to have to do any more math than necessary. :)

Oh, how I wish that there was a MM computer edition! All my problems would be solved. hee hee

I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments.

Angela

No MM computer edition but she has started posting YouTube videos of herself teaching lessons! She's starting to add elementary level video lessons now. It's great! I would buy every level she had if MM computer edition existed!:tongue_smilie:

Well, we started school this week and since I have not ordered TT for my son, I went ahead and started all my kids on MM including my 9yds.

My younger daughters are doing fine, though I am having to really help my 2nd grader, who is using 3rd grade MM, with the mental math. I think that the curriculum is great starting from a young age. I love how it progresses and teaches them to think.

My 9yo son is struggling with the mental addition and subtraction. (which is all we have done so far) He did Abeka through 2nd and then T4L supplemented heavily with Abeka etc for 3rd. I probably should have dropped him down a level for just the mental addition. He can do it with me walking him through it, but it took us and hour and a half to get through 2 pages a couple of days ago. Yesterday I let him do only one page of mental addition and I pulled a page from the angles chapter, so he would have less of the metal math at a time. It still took quite a while. I just couldn't get him to focus. All the while, he is saying how he hates math. :glare: He is capable of doing it, but it is really stretching him.

It has only been a week and I am all ready exhausted and burned out. I officially added a Kindergartener this year (she already reads and is doing MM 1 and Abeka Phonics 2 and FLL1/2) and school is taking forever. Maybe I should have just picked more independent curricula. They use MM, WWE, and FLL or Easy Grammar, and do history, Bible, and science together...and then I do music practice with each of them. Plus they have their independent work. I just can't seem to get them through everything each day.

I am about to just order TT for my son and let him at it. I know that MM could be a little bit more independent, but so far I have to be there for nearly every question. I would way rather he do MM than TT, but I am about to give up and just do it. :001_smile: I suppose that I should give it more than a week.

Maybe I will just drop my son down a level for the mental math. He can be difficult for me to work with and it just wears me out. I really want him to learn mental math though. That is something that public school never taught me.

Sorry to rant. :tongue_smilie: It just shouldn't be this rough the first week!

This is our 5th year to homeschool. I'm not sure if I remember being this stressed and exhausted the first week.

Off to work.....

Angela