Menu

How to transfer iPod music from one computer to another

We just got a new computer to replace our dinosaur, so I am decluttering our old one to transfer files to our new one! But I am iPod challenged (dd has to do almost everything for me) and I don't know how to get the iPod stuff off the old CPU and onto the new one. Shouldn't I be able to purchase a song and then put it on any of our computers? But I can't figure out how to do this. Can anyone give me instructions? And. Type. Really. Slowly. So. I. Can. Understand. Please!

jeri

You can just copy it all onto a flashdrive, then copy it onto the new computer. There won't be any problem with stuff you copied from CDs (as opposed to purchased from iTunes).

iTunes does limit the number of computers you can put stuff you purchased from them on, so you may have to "deactivate" your old computer if the new one will put you over the limit. Sorry, I don't remember what the limit is.

As usual, make a back-up copy of everything before you start this. In fact, I'd recommend backing up your entire old computer onto a separate hard drive, so you can access your old files when your old computer is dead and gone.

I use a free program called Sharepod. It's fabulous ! There is none of that library business like iTunes. With Sharepod, you can read the music off any iPod you plug in to, or put however much music you want onto any iPod you plug into. It makes the iPod just a portable storage device. Like it should be.

http://download.cnet.com/SharePod/3000-2141_4-10794489.html

It is "tested spyware free" by CNet.

You still need iTunes on the computer, BUT you turn off the automatic syncing in iTunes.

You go into Sharepod...you can backup everything that is on the first ipod onto the computer (or just do parts at a time if you don't have enough space for all the music) and then hook up to the new iPod and transfer it onto there.

Edited by laundrycrisis

Even though *none* of you typed r e a l l y slowly, I think I got the gist of it. I will have my IT 13 yo dd lead the way off of these directions and try to hang in there. Again, thank you for all the tips, instructions, and greetings (Beth?)

Jeri