Menu

Help me buy the Best Dishwasher

Okay our crappy Kitchen Aid broke down AGAIN and we are fed up. We bought this house last July and this dishwasher gave us problems the whole year. The home warranty company just kept sending out techs to "fix it." Of course the warranty is now up. They just "fixd it" last month again when I begged for a new one and oh no we'll just fix it.

So tell me the best dishwasher that uses VERY little energy. I've been leaning toward the Bosch one.

We've had Bosch and General Electric...our first Bosch had two repair calls in a year...our friends who are SOLD on Bosch were stunned..just last year (their Bosch is 4 years old) had a leak and flooded/ruined their floors (they bought it b/c it was supposed to be leak proof)..he was not happy...I am wary of any appliances in the past 5 years...more and more parts are being mf'ed in China and the quality of the parts is very low....I doubt we'll have those refrigerators that will last 30 years anymore..we'll be lucky to get 10 years...

That said I do believe you get what you pay for...we have the quietest model that GE makes...(well 2 years ago) and it's run like a gem....you never hear it! We've had GE in 4 other homes and never had a repair issue but we also weren't there more than 2-3 years...

Not sure if this helped..but shares our experiences..

Tara

Do NOT get a Frigidaire. I seriously regret the day we bought ours slightly over a year (and two repairs) ago. It only cleans the dishes if you adapt to it's loading preferences, have the dishes already mostly clean, and it feels like it on that day.

Up until that time we had a Maytag (13 years) that we loved! When I have the money to replace this one, we're getting another Maytag.

Do NOT get a Frigidaire.

Echo that sentiment on any appliance. We had our Frigidaire washer fail just before Christmas. The spider arms that supported the barrel rusted out and it dropped and when we moved it out the was a ton of rust on the floor. I looked up repairs for that model on the internet and the consensus seemed to be that this kind of failure happened right around the 7 year mark. Want to guess how old our washer was? :glare:

We went with a Kenmore Elite after cheking model numbers to make sure it wasn't a Frigidaire in disguise. We're very happy with it.

We buy Asko dishwashers. We tried to go back to KitchenAid a few years ago, but it failed after two months and then again two months later. They simply cannot handle the load our family-of-nine-who-never-leaves-the-house puts on them. Our Askos tend to last about 8 years, which is pretty good for a machine doing four or five cycles each day.

Good luck with your decision!

We have a Miele. We looked at Miele and Bosch - checked into construction (solidity and building location) and decided to get a less fancy Miele rather than a more fancy Bosch. We did the same when we bought our tumble dryer. I'm very impressed with both.

Laura