Menu

Looking for projects to go with Early American History (SL core 3)

Nakia

I posted this over on the SL board, but I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out too. We are planning to do Core 3, and while we will definitely be doing notebooking and map work, I am looking for some projects to work on with them to enhance our Early American History studies. I want some long-term projects that we can work on for several weeks at a time, with daddy's help in the evenings. I don't mean lapbooks (we tried, but we are not a lapbooking family at all!!). I hope this makes sense. I would really like (read:love) free internet ideas. Our homeschool budget is exhausted. I've found plenty of coloring sheets/worksheets, but I want projects. Thanks so much!!

Edited by Nakia

Exactly what I'm talking about!!!!

Yay!

When we studied the Lost Colony of Roanoke, the boys put together a news video about the events and different ideas of what could have happened. One son was a reporter and the other was John White...the settler who came back and discovered the colony was gone. They used there Lincoln Logs to depict what the colony looked like when John White left and then what it looked like when he came back. It was a great exercise and they learned a lot. I'll see if I can post a link to it. My dh has it guarded on youtube.

They also learned how to sew and weave and I was surprised at how much they enjoyed it!

Love the links! We are not far from Jamestown and I decided to stretch that lesson out because we can visit and explore, so I LOVE the replica and will add it to our studies. I think it will be better to do it before we go so he can imagine how it would all look as he is seeing part of the old fort.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Kid's America by Seven Caney is a great book with tons of projects and American folk lore. It's OOP, I believe, but pretty readily available used. I bought mine through Ebay and it was at our library, as well.

:iagree:

This book is wonderful, especially for the first half of American history. Here it is on Amazon. I know you said your budget is exhausted but this is about as cheap as it gets. This is probably the best activity book I've got (and I have a lot)!

Also, with your older girls especially, consider true handicrafts that correlate with American history. You can easily find samples online and skills books at your library. Plus, supplies and books for handicrafts make great gifts for the girls for Christmas and birthdays. My dd LOVES her sewing basket and all my kids love to embroider. There is basketmaking and weaving for studying Native Americans, quilling and embroidery during the colonial period, knitting like Martha Washington during the Revolutionary War, quilting for pioneer times. This is the way I lean.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

:iagree:

This book is wonderful, especially for the first half of American history. Here it is on Amazon. I know you said your budget is exhausted but this is about as cheap as it gets. This is probably the best activity book I've got (and I have a lot)!

Also, with your older girls especially, consider true handicrafts that correlate with American history. You can easily find samples online and skills books at your library. Plus, supplies and books for handicrafts make great gifts for the girls for Christmas and birthdays. My dd LOVES her sewing basket and all my kids love to embroider. There is basketmaking and weaving for studying Native Americans, quilling and embroidery during the colonial period, knitting like Martha Washington during the Revolutionary War, quilting for pioneer times. This is the way I lean.

My library actually has that Caney book, so I went ahead and put it on reserve. If it's something we really like, I will go ahead and buy it.

I really do think this would be a good year for learning some true handicrafts. My oldest already loves to sew, and she taught herself to knit just by watching me. We live really close to the Cherokee reservation, and they have some really nice basket making and weaving demonstrations so I will take them over there and let them watch. And maybe we can do a little class or something. Embroidery is a great idea! I don't know how to do that or cross stitch, but I've been wanting to give it a whirl, so we can do it all together!! Thank you!!! BTW, what is quilling?

I was also thinking of letting them make some really toys from the early days, like a corn husk doll. Any more ideas for that?

Guest Alte Veste Academy
My library actually has that Caney book, so I went ahead and put it on reserve. If it's something we really like, I will go ahead and buy it.

I really do think this would be a good year for learning some true handicrafts. My oldest already loves to sew, and she taught herself to knit just by watching me. We live really close to the Cherokee reservation, and they have some really nice basket making and weaving demonstrations so I will take them over there and let them watch. And maybe we can do a little class or something. Embroidery is a great idea! I don't know how to do that or cross stitch, but I've been wanting to give it a whirl, so we can do it all together!! Thank you!!! BTW, what is quilling?

I was also thinking of letting them make some really toys from the early days, like a corn husk doll. Any more ideas for that?

How great that the library has it! See if your library has Period Pastimes too. If they don't, it's no big deal but it does help make a nice list of handicrafts to think about covering. There are many books on quilling but I bought this one from Klutz because I thought designs like this would be most likely to hold the kids' interest and keep them wanting to do it.

There is a corn cob doll in More Than Moccasins if you or your library have it. There is also one in My Little House Crafts Book. I bet you can find that easily with Google though.

How great that the library has it! See if your library has Period Pastimes too. If they don't, it's no big deal but it does help make a nice list of handicrafts to think about covering. There are many books on quilling but I bought this one from Klutz because I thought designs like this would be most likely to hold the kids' interest and keep them wanting to do it.

There is a corn cob doll in More Than Moccasins if you or your library have it. There is also one in My Little House Crafts Book. I bet you can find that easily with Google though.

I had forgotten what quilling was, but now I remember after seeing that book. Looks challenging, but we will give it a whirl. Thanks for the other recs!!