Menu

Ok, you AAS people :-)

JMDRAD

We're good with the books, tiles (magnetic tape if you didn't get it with the tiles), and the board. I have a blank book that ds writes the key card rules in for review as well.

We're about to finish up Level 1. I'm very pleased with the program. Hope you enjoy it :)

Thanks! I was not sure what book to buy her. I thought she was ready for book two but when I had her do the dictation, that they had online, she failed. I ended up getting books one and two.

Do you think I could get by with a smaller board? I don't have much room in our school room.

Just think, all this madness began because I had no idea what AAS stood for. I better not ask about any other acronyms.:lol:

Did you get the readers that go along with the spelling??

Just sayin...:lol:

LOL You know I actually considered it even though my dd is reading Sonlight's Core 2 Advanced readers. (I'm not sure what reading level that is). But I may end up purchasing them for my second girl. We are just now starting OPGTR and all I have are the first two boxes of Bob Books.

So, tell me about the AAS readers! :D

We just have the first reader... the beehive... we love it here! :D

I started with a smaller board for the letter tiles, but finally got a 2x3 board and we LOVE it! If you can I would go for the bigger board. If not, a smaller one will work.

I just ordered books one and two plus tiles for my dd 7!!!:D I'm super excited!:party:I saw that I need to purchase a white board... is there anything else you all suggest buying? Thanks!

I have a white board each for my girls for writing the spelling phrases & sentences. We are practising cursive, so the white board helps a lot. For practising words with tiles we use a cookie tray instead of a white board.

I have a note book where I write down the mispelled words for everyday oral review.

Besides the 2 X 3 board, you'll also want some kind of box for your cards. I really like the Sterilite flip-top boxes that you can buy for about $1. I don't like the regular 3X5 index card boxes--you can just barely get a whole pack of cards in one, and it will make the tab dividers bend over. But if you get a larger box, it can work. There's a pic of my sterilite boxes in my blog here.

I also use:

A folder to hold some of the extra cardstock pages that come in the materials packet, plus stickers I use for the progress chart. You might not need this with Level 1 though, but level 2 has some more pages. You can use the progress chart as a bookmark in the IG if you want.

A spiral notebook for my kids to write their words and dictations in.

A hand-held whiteboard (we already had this, not a necessary purchase, just fun)--One child does everything on the whiteboard except The Writing Station (starts in Level 3). I like to have her use a spiral for those so we can read them again later, sometimes they are cute or funny.

A bigger box (that I had around the house already) to put all of my supplies in (the books & boxes for both of my kids plus a baggie with extra tiles, & a few other miscellaneous things. That's in my blog too.

The readers--these are really nice! Here's a video the author made about the features of the early readers. (She refers to the "Beehive Reader", but this book was retitled Cobweb the Cat--otherwise it's the same book.) It has some really nice features for young readers! You can see samples of all of the books online (there are 2 more for Level 2, and there are a couple more level 1 books coming out this fall).

Merry :-)

:001_smile: This is a helpful thread . . . I COULD NOT find spelling boxes. I scoured many stores here (no Wal Mart close by yet). I agree with Merry that the 3x5 card box doesn't work. So tight and not usable. I ended up using A Really Useful Box from Office Depot. I do love these boxes :D. The size isn't a "perfect" fit but it has grow room. It also comes in different colors so I have one for each kiddo in their color. They are a few dollars per box.