Menu

Elemental Science Chemistry?

sparrow

How have I not heard of Elemental Science until now? I just saw it in an earlier thread and it looks really good! I'm thinking of buying Elemental Science Chemistry for my 10yo ds and 8yo dd.

Who is using it, or has used it, and what are your thoughts? I'm really excited. It seems to be what I've been looking for.

We are still a relatively new company, only 3 years old, so we are still working on getting the word out :). We are using Chemistry this year with my 8 yo dd and so far she loves it! I think it would be a good choice for your dc, but you may find you want to beef it up for your 10 yo. There are suggestions on how to do that in the TG. Hope that helps and maybe some more users will chime in.

How have I not heard of Elemental Science until now?

I was asking myself that question last week. Then I placed an order!

Elemental Science Physics just arrived in the mail today. I am so happy that I found it. I think it will be exactly what we need. Can't wait to get started with it!

Not to hijack or anything......but...

you may find you want to beef it up for your 10 yo. There are suggestions on how to do that in the TG. Hope that helps and maybe some more users will chime in.

Paige--this is one of the reasons I've hesitated for my ds, 10. He wants MORE. Can you tell me how the TG beefs it up? More experiments? Higher level readings? Something else?

Thank you.

We are still a relatively new company, only 3 years old, so we are still working on getting the word out :). We are using Chemistry this year with my 8 yo dd and so far she loves it! I think it would be a good choice for your dc, but you may find you want to beef it up for your 10 yo. There are suggestions on how to do that in the TG. Hope that helps and maybe some more users will chime in.

Thanks for your response! I thought we may want to add more for my 10 yo. Are the suggestions for additional books? He'd probably enjoy that and I have some ideas for things to add, as well.

I'll probably be ordering the e-book tonight :001_smile:.

Here's what the TG says...

What if I have an older student? How do I include them?

If you want your older student to work along with your other students and you feel the resources are to “easy†for them. Simply used the following books instead…

• Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia—this encyclopedia is written at a higher level and would be more appropriate for older children

• The Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Chemistry—this resource is a glossary of chemical terms with a bit more explanation

Have your older child look up the corresponding section in their encyclopedia and read it, then look up the websites if applicable. I have included a topical index in this guide to aid you in this. Next have them write about the topic. If you want more than just a simple narration, have them write a mini-report (one to two paragraphs) on a separate sheet and paste the picture to that. You could also have your older student be in charge of running all the experiments and explaining the principles behind them.

Also each week has a "Want More" box that contains ideas for additional related readings, additional experiments, activities and/or research projects. Hope that helps give you a better idea.

Thanks for your response! I thought we may want to add more for my 10 yo. Are the suggestions for additional books? He'd probably enjoy that and I have some ideas for things to add, as well.

Other than the two suggested in my post above, there are no suggestions for additional books. The reason for this is that books go out of print and every library is different in what they have. There is a topical list included to make it easier to search for books at your library. At some point I may put together a supplemental list and post it over at the yahoo group, but no promises :).

I bought it for my DD8 and it looks wonderful. Its our first year so I have only seen samples from other curricula, but I am impressed with the entire content. The experiements look great and they use mostly simple household items. We cant wait to start

I am using Elemental Science Chemistry now for an 8.5 year old that wants to be a chemist. We love the program!

There are options listed for more experiments, plus we are making our own periodic table on poster board as we go along. I also search the library's on-line catalog every week or so for the upcoming topics - hydrogen, etc. It has been extremely easy to find additional information to add to our studies.