Menu

So You Really Want to Learn Spanish

Has anybody used this and taken the AP exam. have been researching Spanish texts all year and this seems to be the one that draws my attention the most. I have heard great things about Galore park, but I plan on having ds start formal Spanish This year and eventually move into AP Spanish and AP Spanish Lit. as well as take the tests.

I am fluent as is my husband. We live in Mexico, so ds gets plenty of practice. I am just wondering if there is a big difference between the sequence in these books and books published in the US. I understand it is Spain Spanish, but since we live in Mexico I figure the practice LAtin American Spanish quite a bit.;)

Danielle

Has anybody used this and taken the AP exam. have been researching Spanish texts all year and this seems to be the one that draws my attention the most. I have heard great things about Galore park, but I plan on having ds start formal Spanish This year and eventually move into AP Spanish and AP Spanish Lit. as well as take the tests.

I am fluent as is my husband. We live in Mexico, so ds gets plenty of practice. I am just wondering if there is a big difference between the sequence in these books and books published in the US. I understand it is Spain Spanish, but since we live in Mexico I figure the practice LAtin American Spanish quite a bit.;)

Danielle

Sorry I can't help you regarding SYRWTLS. I am using Breaking the Spanish Barrier Two with my 13 yo who is planning to take Spanish AP in two years' time. I am from Spain and considered SYRWTLS because of the wonderful reviews, but then I figured she was getting enough Spanish from Spain practice at home. She will also be taking Spanish in public High School. I still don't know what textbook they will be using, but I am pretty sure both the textbook and the teacher will be modeling Latin American Spanish!

My dh lived in Mexico for 9 years as a child. He took Spanish in high school, back in the US, for easy As. :) He also tested in college and got credit for at least 10 hours of college Spanish. So I am wondering why you want to use a curriculum at all?

Well, my children do not attend school here. They mainly speak English. I knew many people in school who spoke Spanish in the home and thought they could pass the AP test, but were unable to. With this knowledge, I think a formal Spanish class is needed. Although I have taught them to read and write in Spanish, they would still need to be able to write an essay and know the names of the tenses. I just want to make sure there are no gaps. Since they have a background in Spanish, I have decided to have them begin a high school text in 6th grade and move through it at their own pace. I belive this will have them taking the AP exam in 9th grade.

Danielle

it is much easier, imho, to simply keep fluent in the language, inlcluding reading and writing, and then take a CLEP test. I grew up in LA, never studied formally, and CLEPped out of all twelve hours of foreign language that were required for my science major.

I wouldn't bother with the AP.

it is much easier, imho, to simply keep fluent in the language, inlcluding reading and writing, and then take a CLEP test. I grew up in LA, never studied formally, and CLEPped out of all twelve hours of foreign language that were required for my science major.

I wouldn't bother with the AP.

I guess it depends on where your dc will attend college. The school my dd will attend doesn't give credit for CLEP.

Well, my children do not attend school here. They mainly speak English. I knew many people in school who spoke Spanish in the home and thought they could pass the AP test, but were unable to. With this knowledge, I think a formal Spanish class is needed. Although I have taught them to read and write in Spanish, they would still need to be able to write an essay and know the names of the tenses. I just want to make sure there are no gaps. Since they have a background in Spanish, I have decided to have them begin a high school text in 6th grade and move through it at their own pace. I belive this will have them taking the AP exam in 9th grade.

Danielle

I agree with you. I also know of many students here in the US who grew up in Spanish speaking households who didn't do so well taking the Spanish AP test.

Can't answer your question but I think you should follow your instincts and get a curriculum.

My dh is completely fluent. He grew up only speaking English at home because his mother only spoke English. They lived in Puerto Rico, then Venezuela, then Mexico before coming to the states at 15. He even took classes like history in Spanish in Venezuela.

When he got to college, he took Spanish as an elective. He made either a B or a C. Other students, who weren't fluent, were making A's. He and the teacher were speaking rings around the class. The other students could barely understand what they were saying.

He didn't have the textbook knowledge down to the degree he should have for the testing. If you feel you need a curriculum, use one.

Edited by Kimber