Menu

Ok, why does the powdered laundry soap not dissolve in the dispenser?

I have a Kenmore HE machine, which I hate btw. I had tried homemade powdered detergent (two different recipes: Fels Naptha, Borox and Washing Soda and Zote, Borox and Washing Soda) and neither would fully dissolve. I switched back to liquid HE detergent but I am trying to save money so I switched to Gain powdered HE mixed with Borax and Washing Soda and it won't dissolve. Again. I just tried a load with only the Gain and it looks like all the detergent is still in the dispenser!

Is it just my machine? I have had a lot of trouble with this washer since we got it so I couldn’t be surprised if it was the machine. Did I mention I hate this washer?

What else can I do? Maybe try the detergent right onto the clothes? I don’t want to ruin them.

Thanks!

No - it's not you - it's those darn HE machines. I can't even use the powdered stuff that is labled HE - it just doesn't work. I try to buy the cheapest HE liquid out there - but it is still more expensive than the regular detergent.

Think of it this way, though - you are using less water, and your dry times (electric or gas bill) are much shorter. SO you may be saving money there instead of in the detergent.

No - it's not you - it's those darn HE machines. I can't even use the powdered stuff that is labled HE - it just doesn't work. I try to buy the cheapest HE liquid out there - but it is still more expensive than the regular detergent.

Think of it this way, though - you are using less water, and your dry times (electric or gas bill) are much shorter. SO you may be saving money there instead of in the detergent.

That's what I was afriad of. Guess I need to run to Wal-Mart today for more detergent.

I sometimes use regular Tide powder in my LG HE washer. I only do it when I'm washing a warm or hot load. And I use a small amount...about 1/3 less than the first line on the scoop. I haven't had any problems with the detergent not dissolving. (I dislike my HE for many reasons...but at least this is not one of them.)

The only powdered detergent I've tried in my HE washer was as a tester for a diaper detergent, with hot water. It mostly desolved, but not entirely.

You don't seem opposed to making laundry detergent in general, so why not make up some liquid? I use the Duggar recipe, and it's been working out great!

Do you have the divider in the soap dispenser set to "powder"?

I have been using the powdered detergent that Sears sells for a few years now. Have you tried that? I've been very pleased.

It is for HE washers. I've never had a problem with it not dissolving. Also, I never get that awful "sud" message anymore that I would sometimes get with liquids (I was always too cheap to pay the extra for the HE version though :D !)

It comes in a regular variety and an "oxi clean" variety which I use for my lights and any whites that I'm not bleaching. It does a much better job than other detergents I've used - I don't even have to add non-chlorine bleach to get things out, and I rarely even use stain remover. I have four VERY rough and dirty boys so their things get pretty dirty.

It used to come in a giant bucket (and a smaller one for the oxyclean type detergent). Last time I bought it, it came in a box. I transfer it to empty buckets that I keep under my laundry room sink because it's easier. I don't know how it is packaged currently, since it has been about a year since I've had to restock (I buy enough for the year since the nearest Sears is a 3 hour round trip.)

You don't need a whole lot of it to get the job done. I've found I don't need as much as it calls for. We usually use approximately 2 of the regular and 2 of the "oxi clean" per year (sometimes I run out a little before the year is up). I always buy it on sale for $19.99, so that's $80 for a year's worth of detergent. We have 2 adults and 7 children in the household and generate a rather amazing amount of laundry. "I" think that's quite reasonable.

It's called Advance Formula Ultra Plus Laundry Detergent. I believe it's specific to Sears.

Laundromats have been using "HE" machines for years. I don't ever remember them selling "HE" detergent for them, you simply used a whole lot less. That's part of the benefit. If you use 1/3 what you would in the other style washer, you should be fine using regular detergent. I don't have any proof of this, but I remember that this was the rule of thumb before detergent companies came out with a way to recoup what would have been tremendous losses with the new machines. :tongue_smilie:

Laundromats have been using "HE" machines for years. I don't ever remember them selling "HE" detergent for them' date=' you simply used a whole lot less. That's part of the benefit. If you use 1/3 what you would in the other style washer, you should be fine using regular detergent. I don't have any proof of this, but I remember that this was the rule of thumb before detergent companies came out with a way to recoup what would have been tremendous losses with the new machines. :tongue_smilie:[/quote']

The HE detergents are different. They don't make as much suds as the regular detergent. The extra suds from regular detergents are hard on the mechanisms in the HE machines.

Why not just toss it in on top of the clothes? The dispenser is for convenience as far as I know, not effectiveness. I would toss it in to the bottom of the load so the water has a chance to dissolve it before the machine gets full.

An alternative to this would be to just add the detergent to some water before you add it to the load.

Wow, my Maytag Elite HE front loader always dissolves the soap. I've only ever used powdered detergent in it because the owner of the appliance store where I bought the machine said the liquid detergent (even the HE kind) ruins these machines. It clogs them up or something. Anyway, I've never had any problems.

On another note, I HATED my Sears HE "Calypso" with a passion. It was a complete hunk of junk and RUINED my clothes and chewed up my towels. It left dirty streaks all over everything and broke down constantly. So, if I were you I'd ditch that Kenmore and start over!

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

The HE detergents are different. They don't make as much suds as the regular detergent. The extra suds from regular detergents are hard on the mechanisms in the HE machines.

Yes, but if you use less detergent they won't suds excessively either. From what I've read, the HE detergents have "filler" added so when you use the amount needed for a load, you're getting essentially what you would if you used 1/3 of the other. The reason you get excessive suds using the regular amount of a regular detergent is because you've got so much less water in the washer. Therefore, the concentration becomes much higher. I wish Consumer Reports or Myth Busters or someone would do a study on this, but I don't think the detergent makers would be happy with the results.

I'm waiting for them to come out with HE fabric softener. Now there's a product to market. It'll have a higher price and two-thirds more water. :) I just googled - and they've already got it for sale. :lol:

I think it's definitely safe to say that you can use 1/3 less than normal of normal fabric softener, and add some warm water to it to help it dispense easier. :)

Yes' date=' but if you use less detergent they won't suds excessively either. From what I've read, the HE detergents have "filler" added so when you use the amount needed for a load, you're getting essentially what you would if you used 1/3 of the other. The reason you get excessive suds using the regular amount of a regular detergent is because you've got so much less water in the washer. Therefore, the concentration becomes much higher. I wish Consumer Reports or Myth Busters or someone would do a study on this, but I don't think the detergent makers would be happy with the results.[/quote']

Why would HE detergents be full of fillers? You use much less HE detergent. Everything I have always read said they are More concentrated.

We have had our Duet for many years now. A service man was here about our dishwasher one time and saw my Duets. He said that there were two things that can wear out or reduce the effectiveness of HE machines. One is to use regular detergents. The suds bubble up, creating pressure on the lines inside the machine that are not designed to handle the added pressure. This creates more wear and tear. He suggested using the least amount of HE detergent needed to lengthen the life of the machine.

The second danger, was running very heavy loads on the highest spin cycle (it wears out or rips out the 'door boots'). He said that if people only use the preset load features, that the machine will last longer.

Why not just toss it in on top of the clothes? The dispenser is for convenience as far as I know, not effectiveness. I would toss it in to the bottom of the load so the water has a chance to dissolve it before the machine gets full.

An alternative to this would be to just add the detergent to some water before you add it to the load.

I am going to try this. I wasn't sure if it would somehow be bad for the clothes or machine. i will test it with the next load.

Wow, my Maytag Elite HE front loader always dissolves the soap. I've only ever used powdered detergent in it because the owner of the appliance store where I bought the machine said the liquid detergent (even the HE kind) ruins these machines. It clogs them up or something. Anyway, I've never had any problems.

On another note, I HATED my Sears HE "Calypso" with a passion. It was a complete hunk of junk and RUINED my clothes and chewed up my towels. It left dirty streaks all over everything and broke down constantly. So, if I were you I'd ditch that Kenmore and start over!

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

If I could afford to I would. I will never buy another apppliance from Sears.

Jean I'm sorry you're having problems with your machine. In googling I came across this site with some detergent "recipes" which sound like they should work well since they're liquid. They're also very inexpensive.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/07/07jan01a.cfm

Why would HE detergents be full of fillers? You use much less HE detergent. Everything I have always read said they are More concentrated.

We have had our Duet for many years now. A service man was here about our dishwasher one time and saw my Duets. He said that there were two things that can wear out or reduce the effectiveness of HE machines. One is to use regular detergents. The suds bubble up, creating pressure on the lines inside the machine that are not designed to handle the added pressure. This creates more wear and tear. He suggested using the least amount of HE detergent needed to lengthen the life of the machine.

The second danger, was running very heavy loads on the highest spin cycle (it wears out or rips out the 'door boots'). He said that if people only use the preset load features, that the machine will last longer.

Michele I'm wrong - you're right. The HE is more concentrated and is a low sudsing formula. But I still think that you can keep the suds down - we don't even see them - by using a lot less detergent. In the above link, someone recommends using 1/4 as much. Sudsing is also more of a problem with soft water than with hard. Good to know hard water is good for something. :tongue_smilie: