Menu

X-Post Parents of Collegiate Athletes or potential athletes - please help!

I have a friend who is thinking about offering consulting services to homeschoolers who are trying to navigate the waters of NCAA eligibility from an academic standpoint. She herself was a collegiate athlete in two sports, has a law degree, has worked for a university in the area of NCAA eligibility, and is currently a USA swim coach.

First of all, do you think there would be a market for this type of help?

For those who have been down this path already, could you offer any insights or tips that might help her figure this out?

Any help would really be appreciated. She is a very talented individual, and I would love to see her succeed!

Thanks!

I would be interested. I am terrified of the NCAA. I seriously considered paying Clonlara $1000 per year just so I wouldn't have to worry about the NCAA. If I could tell her what I wanted to do for the high school core courses on an annual basis and she would give me a guarantee of the NCAA's approval, I'd be willing to pay for it because I would sleep better at night.

If she could get out of the NCAA which typical homeschool curriculums have been approved, I would pay for that. If she could get out of the NCAA, what textbooks have been approved as high school level textbooks, I would pay for that. And, did I read that if ds takes a semester Spanish class at the community college, and they even have it in writing that it counts as a year of high school credit, that the NCAA will still only count it for 1/2 credit? If ds was going to the local crummy public high school and was dual enrolled at the cc, his high school transcript would show 1 credit. Why can't I? But maybe I misread that.

Right now, though, I would wonder how much experience she has had with NCAA's homeschool approval process. It drives me nuts that if I sent ds to the local crummy public high school, the NCAA would give their rubber stamp of approval without a second glance, but because we homeschool our curriculum choices will be scrutinized.

:rant:

Hmm. I don't think that link works.

You are right! Here's the quote from the 5/26/10 Inside Higher Ed:

NCAA Singles Out 'Nontraditional' High School Courses as Ineligible

The National Collegiate Athletic Association on Tuesday identified two providers of online and correspondence secondary school courses as failing to meet the standards of a new rule aimed at ensuring the academic quality of "nontraditional" courses used to meet the association's academic eligibility requirements. The NCAA described the two programs, Brigham Young University's BYU Independent Study and American School, as among the most heavily used by athletes seeking alternative means of meeting the NCAA's core curriculum standards. The rule under which the two programs were decertified sets minimum requirements for contact between instructors and students, among other factors.

quote.gif

You are right! Here's the quote from the 5/26/10 Inside Higher Ed:

NCAA Singles Out 'Nontraditional' High School Courses as Ineligible

The National Collegiate Athletic Association on Tuesday identified two providers of online and correspondence secondary school courses as failing to meet the standards of a new rule aimed at ensuring the academic quality of "nontraditional" courses used to meet the association's academic eligibility requirements. The NCAA described the two programs, Brigham Young University's BYU Independent Study and American School, as among the most heavily used by athletes seeking alternative means of meeting the NCAA's core curriculum standards. The rule under which the two programs were decertified sets minimum requirements for contact between instructors and students, among other factors.

quote.gif

If any of you read Blindside, Michael Oher used BYU courses in the summer after his senior year of high school to raise his GPA enough to make him Div. I eligible. Gee, think it was a coincidence that the NCAA pulls the plug on the loophole now?

Terri

my dd17 has done several courses through Keystone in order to secure a "diploma" to make her NCAA approval easier.

We received an email stating that the NCAA will no longer accept traditional correspondence courses...they must be online courses so there can be times logged...as if logging in for the course somehow makes it more worthy??? Just because a student logs in does not mean they are working...bleh...

My poor dd just finished a full semester's worth of US History in about 2 weeks just so her correspondence work can be counted before August 1!!! The NCAA only gave the schools a few weeks notice...so...if a student had recently enrolled in a correspondence course they are out of luck. I think they could at least have let the students who enrolled prior to August 1 get credit for that course...they should have gone by the enrollment date.

BTW, my dd despises online classes...she's a book and paper gal. Needless to say, she won't be taking anymore Keystone courses.