Menu

Secular HSers: Anyone use Rainbow Science?

Jen+4dc

I'm considering this for my dd13 and ds11 next year. I would prefer a secular program but can't seem to find one that is as easy to implement and comes with everything I need like Rainbow Science does. If I don't have it up front laid out for me at the beginning of the year (lesson plans and lab supplies and a TM since I am a complete moron at science!) then science doesn't happen! (It's a struggle even when it is all laid out....sigh).

Any experience or reviews would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I looked at this but ruled it out because I couldn't get the chemistry & physics units without the biology (which I wouldn't use since I'm not a YEC).

It looks like Year 1 is Physics and Chem and Year 2 is Biology. Am I missing something?:confused:

Have you looked at K12 science? They're secular and things are laid out.

I have completely given up on trying to secularize non-secular resources.

Can you get this without signing up for the online course? That's out of the budget range. Would you mind linking it? Pretty please??:D I never have luck navigating k12's website.

Can you get this without signing up for the online course? That's out of the budget range. Would you mind linking it? Pretty please??:D I never have luck navigating k12's website.

I was just wondering this myself. We are set on REAL science odyssey for 1-3 but I had heard there would be some non secular things mentioned in the second level so I'd be super interested to see about K12 if you can buy the books and materials separately!

I looked into K12 last year and I, too, had trouble understanding/navigating their website. So I called them and was told that you can't do the course without signing up for the online portion as well. The two are designed to work in conjunction with each other.

Thanks everyone!

We used Rainbow--there is very little that would be objectionable --easily skipped over, IMO. Maybe 3 or 4 chapters in the Biology section that you would want to read through carefully.

So is it Young Earth Creationist? Darwinist? Creationist but not young earth?.....

And, does it explain all viewpoints or just one? Basically, can someone (me) without science background "talk through it" with her kids?

We are big fans of Rainbow and Spectrum Chemistry, having used both.

I think these are materials that are extremely easy to use secularly - 1000x more so than, say, Apologia.

The author is Christian and does state in his materials that God created this world. However, the vast majority of the lessons are completely secular. He does not go into doctrine or the young earth/old earth controversy, that I recall.

My DH comes from a very strong science background and *loves* the Rainbow materials. He chose it from among many options at a large homeschool convention because he was impressed with the quality of the books and experiments. I think Rainbow is pretty much the perfect junior high science curriculum. :)

Disclaimer is that I am a Christian, but one who doesn't like a ton of doctrine and religion in my science.

I honestly think that if you don't mind a few general statements about God creating this earth, you are likely to be very happy with Rainbow. HTH.

I was just wondering this myself. We are set on REAL science odyssey for 1-3 but I had heard there would be some non secular things mentioned in the second level so I'd be super interested to see about K12 if you can buy the books and materials separately!

What? RSO is supposed to be a secular curriculum. Am I wrong?

The author is Christian and does state in his materials that God created this world. However, the vast majority of the lessons are completely secular. He does not go into doctrine or the young earth/old earth controversy, that I recall.

Disclaimer is that I am a Christian, but one who doesn't like a ton of doctrine and religion in my science.

I honestly think that if you don't mind a few general statements about God creating this earth, you are likely to be very happy with Rainbow. HTH.

The bolded part describes me exactly! I'm thinking more and more this might work for us.

Thanks everyone!

:lurk5: I'm wondering too! I have never heard ANYTHING to the contrary. I was planning to go back to it later on. Aoife, can you expand?

I heard it mentioned somewhere in passing but I hope with all my hope that it's just heresay because I LOVE RSO! I just went on their site and searched around a bit and actually came up with the opposite :tongue_smilie: So maybe the post I had read about it was confused or something.

3. Are your courses written from a Christian viewpoint, or are they secular? or, Is evolution or biblical creation discussed in your courses?

Our courses are secular, they are not written from any particular religious point of view. We hope that customers of all faiths will be comfortable using our materials. History Odyssey courses begin at 6000 B.C., therefore evolution is not applicable. A scientist whose only agenda is to teach science writes each R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey book. Therefore, R.E.A.L Science is not from a creationist’s viewpoint. There will be mention of evolution in level two and three courses (when available) as it pertains to science. There is no mention of evolution in the level one books.

So now I feel better and will be sticking with RSO permanently for the littles because by the time we need or reach level 2 the books should be out! My DSD 9yo old is really enjoying RSO biology and personally it is IMHO the best science curriculum out there and believe me when I tell you I have bought and returned a lot over the past year or so :lol:

Thanks everyone!

So is it Young Earth Creationist? Darwinist? Creationist but not young earth?.....

And, does it explain all viewpoints or just one? Basically, can someone (me) without science background "talk through it" with her kids?

I have the book here and will post again with more specifics later--I'm heading out the door to pick up the dc from their respective camps.

We are big fans of Rainbow and Spectrum Chemistry, having used both.

I think these are materials that are extremely easy to use secularly - 1000x more so than, say, Apologia.

My DH comes from a very strong science background and *loves* the Rainbow materials. He chose it from among many options at a large homeschool convention because he was impressed with the quality of the books and experiments. I think Rainbow is pretty much the perfect junior high science curriculum. :)

I agree.

I heard it mentioned somewhere in passing but I hope with all my hope that it's just heresay because I LOVE RSO! I just went on their site and searched around a bit and actually came up with the opposite :tongue_smilie: So maybe the post I had read about it was confused or something.

So now I feel better and will be sticking with RSO permanently for the littles because by the time we need or reach level 2 the books should be out! My DSD 9yo old is really enjoying RSO biology and personally it is IMHO the best science curriculum out there and believe me when I tell you I have bought and returned a lot over the past year or so :lol:

OK, whew! :lol: That's what I remember on their site, but you just never know what sneaks in as those later versions come out. I'm glad they're staying the course.

Thanks!