Menu

What are your plans for kindergarten?

Thank you I will check those out!! :001_smile:

We love them. They have games (the pieces are really easy to get together) and stories where some pictures replace words (so they can practice "reading" with you). By the time you finish the book they can 'read' at least one story in the book. That, imo, is huge. The books aren't long, but the look of accomplishment on their face when they read a story about a dinosaur is well worth it :D

We've been playing with kindergarten in a very relaxed way for the past year. This year we are getting a little more structured but still going to be pretty relaxed. I'm going to shoot for a four day week with phonics, math and writing in the morning and history or science in the afternoon. DS loves science but I'm not sure how he'll feel about history so we're doing a lot of reading and coloring pages for both. We're going to pick a topic (in either Science or History) and stick with the topic until we're done with it then switch. We're starting with a very basic overview of US History, then a Geography study that will include habitats, then Prehistory leading into SOTW1 although by that time it will probably be next year so First Grade.

We're doing:

ETC along with Emergent readers from Hubbards Cupboard and Progressive Phonics for Phonics.

MEP Year 1 - we're about 1/3 of the way through. DS is also fascinated by clocks so 1 day a week we're going to do Time or Money and I bought the AL Abacus and activity book to do once a week.

Handwriting - I have printed off sheets, have a ton of cheap workbooks and recently bought the Crayola Wipe off Activity Center. Both my kids love using them and find the handwriting practice fun.

AAS - we're going to slowly play with this. DS wants to know how to spell things so I'm going to relax and see how it goes.

History - see above

Science - BFSU with lots of read-alouds and activities.

DS wants to spend too much time on the computer, Leapster or watching tv if we're not doing school. I'm hoping if I have a lot planned (yes, I'm doing the filing) but not scheduled (I'm not counting days or hours and have no problem skipping a day or week if we have other plans) I will be ready when he is really enthused about doing school - which is almost every day. He gets upset when I don't have things ready and we can't do school.

We're doing a "K4" year since DD is 4.5 and loves reading and math.

- continue OPGTR, also McGuffey Readers

- HWT K

- SL P 4/5 plus other read aloud books

- R+S Going on Eagerly, Singapore EM B, RS Math Games kit

- outdoor time, art etc..... maybe gymnastics too

We're using Five in a Row, a combination of Miquon Orange/Red and MEP 1a, and easy reader books from the library. In theory we'll also do Discovery Education Elementary Spanish, but we started K on June 1 and haven't gotten to any Spanish lessons yet.

My daughter is an older Kindergartner. We'll be doing:

• Reading: Finish OPG, I See Sam advanced readers, library books
  • Penmanship: Getty-Dubay
  • Math: Miquon and MEP
  • Social Studies: Geography - physical and human
  • Science: Lego WeDo, habitat studies to accompany Social Studies, other stuff as the mood strikes
  • German: Saturday school program, Einsterns Schwester and other learn-to-read materials, read-alouds, TV shows
  • PE: swimming, running around outside
  • Health: Magic School Bus germs projects, other random stuff
  • Music: Piano lessons with dad, Classics for Kids podcast
  • Art: Drawing, art museum visits, free kids' art program at museum

We're required to teach English, Math, Social Studies, Science, PE, Health, Music, and Art here, so the only thing on my list that's not required by law is German.

We spend a lot of time at museums, since we happen to live near the Smithsonian.

We'll also be doing a homeschool enrichment co-op one morning a week.

We love them. They have games (the pieces are really easy to get together) and stories where some pictures replace words (so they can practice "reading" with you). By the time you finish the book they can 'read' at least one story in the book. That, imo, is huge. The books aren't long, but the look of accomplishment on their face when they read a story about a dinosaur is well worth it :D

I like those! They look very good! Now off to find them :D Thank you!!!

Reading (started this age 4, so going to finish it up since it's working well for us): Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading [used with magnets --got great set from amazon called AlphaMagnets--and dryerase board:D

and MCP Plaid Phonics

Handwriting: Zaner Bloser K and Startwrite software

Math: Saxon 1

Bible: Child's Story Bible (Vos) and Bible study and memorization

Art: Drawing with Children (Brookes)

Science: Apologia Botany (he's into plants and we can use this book for years)

Geography: A Child's Geography (FABULOUS)....purchased from www.cbd.com (has great CDrom)

(I need to update my signature....my son's 4.5)

Edited by mhg
added one tidbit