Menu

What would cause this? A Dr. Hive Q

This evening my hands started itching. It started on the left palm. The the right and it is localized to the hands and fingers. The itching is so bad I'm having trouble typing. And on top of the itching my fingers are starting to swell.

I've done nothing today. I've sat here with dd watching TV or playing cards on the computer. Dinner was hotdogs that dh grilled, strawberries that I cut the tops off and salad. Nothing out of the ordinary. I haven't washed dishes or clothes.

I did cut the grass before 8 a.m. That was a good 11 hours before this started.

Also this is not my cold urticaria. There are no hives.

Any ideas?

Sometimes I have a similar reaction to the heat. I don't know if it is related to dehydration or what but I have had where my hands just itch like that. It sometimes helps to wrap a cold, wet cloth etc around the hand or run it under cold water. It has always gone away for me.

In my experience, itching hands, with or without puffiness, is contact dermatitis (often a solvent chronically touched) vs scabies or other critter bites. Just this week I saw a red swollen hand without distinct bites, but the nurse said it was a yellow jacket attack he suffered at home. More pain than itch.

I've not seen heat rash on hands only, but I have seen a woman with acute dehydration giving precipitation of uric acid in the finger tissues. That itched. But she had chronic urate deposition already.

I get briefly itchy hands after vibratory insult. I think of vibratory insult giving more a cold-sensitive, Raynauds kind of thing, but none of this is really my bag.

Another common cause of itch is dry skin. That doesn't cause swelling unless there is vigorous scratching.

And as usual, thinking about itching, and you got me scratching myself all over.

Hi! I don't have answers, and I'm generally not allergic myself, but tonight the side of the tip of my pinky finger started itching like crazy. I've been scratching it on stuff all night. I just wanted to let you know that you were not alone in random-crazy-hand-itching-land tonight. :tongue_smilie:

Sometimes I have a similar reaction to the heat. I don't know if it is related to dehydration or what but I have had where my hands just itch like that. It sometimes helps to wrap a cold, wet cloth etc around the hand or run it under cold water. It has always gone away for me.

Now that you mention it, this happens to me too.

That a might be it. It has been hot here.

I woke up this morning and can't get my wedding ring off. I'll try the cold thing. The worst that can happen is it triggers my cold allergy. I've got stuff for that.

In my experience, itching hands, with or without puffiness, is contact dermatitis (often a solvent chronically touched) vs scabies or other critter bites. Just this week I saw a red swollen hand without distinct bites, but the nurse said it was a yellow jacket attack he suffered at home. More pain than itch.

I've not seen heat rash on hands only, but I have seen a woman with acute dehydration giving precipitation of uric acid in the finger tissues. That itched. But she had chronic urate deposition already.

I get briefly itchy hands after vibratory insult. I think of vibratory insult giving more a cold-sensitive, Raynauds kind of thing, but none of this is really my bag.

Another common cause of itch is dry skin. That doesn't cause swelling unless there is vigorous scratching.

And as usual, thinking about itching, and you got me scratching myself all over.

There has been a lot of vigorous scratching. I slept with no problem, but first thing this morning they itch again. Of course it is Saturday.

Hi! I don't have answers, and I'm generally not allergic myself, but tonight the side of the tip of my pinky finger started itching like crazy. I've been scratching it on stuff all night. I just wanted to let you know that you were not alone in random-crazy-hand-itching-land tonight. :tongue_smilie:

We should start a social group. Those of the itchy hands.;)

This happens to me 1x every few months and it is driving me CRAZY trying to figure out what could be causing this?!?! My hands itch so intensely that I just sit there like a mad woman trying to scratch them off my arms. :lol:

It happens so infrequently and randomly that I haven't been able to pinpoint any lotion or soap or anything that is new...I can't think of anything, I don't know, but it's enough to make you crazy!! :confused: :lol: