Menu

Spelling curriculum for the struggling speller?

parias1126

My almost 8 yr old (8 in Sept) really needs some help with her spelling. We used McRuffy Phonics last year (the 1st grade even though she was a rising 2nd grader). It helped her reading skills as well as her spelling skills. She struggles with both actually. She is still sounding out words to herself before saying them out loud while reading. Her reading is extremely "choppy". Her spelling needs tons of help! She has a very early birthday so I am actually thinking of just calling her a 2nd grader this year even though she was supposed to had been 2nd grade last year. I will probably use the 2nd grade McRuffy phonics in the Fall since she has jumped leaps and bounds with it, but still need something else to use along with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a great Spelling curriculum that is also great for a struggling reader? I am just so worried that she is going to be 8 and still sounding out bigger words. It just hasn't "clicked" yet and she hates reading! :confused:

My almost 8 yr old (8 in Sept) really needs some help with her spelling. We used McRuffy Phonics last year (the 1st grade even though she was a rising 2nd grader). It helped her reading skills as well as her spelling skills. She struggles with both actually. She is still sounding out words to herself before saying them out loud while reading. Her reading is extremely "choppy". Her spelling needs tons of help! She has a very early birthday so I am actually thinking of just calling her a 2nd grader this year even though she was supposed to had been 2nd grade last year. I will probably use the 2nd grade McRuffy phonics in the Fall since she has jumped leaps and bounds with it, but still need something else to use along with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a great Spelling curriculum that is also great for a struggling reader? I am just so worried that she is going to be 8 and still sounding out bigger words. It just hasn't "clicked" yet and she hates reading! :confused:

Check out All About Spelling. It's great for kids who need remedial spelling help, whether they are behind or struggle to keep up in spelling.

It's a multi-sensory program, and teaches skills incrementally. And because it's a complete phonics program it can also help with reading. I started it with my kids when they were 9 & 11, and their reading levels went up 2 grade levels the first year. I wrote more about it on my blog (linked in my siggie), and here's a link to the AAS site.

I hope you find what will help your 8 yo! Merry :-)

I just checked out the site. I think I'm going to order it for my son (8 1/2), who CANNOT spell! Do I need to order the magnetic strips to add to the tiles. Can we just use the tiles on the floor, or do you need a magnetic board and magnetic strips.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

I checked out a sample and it looks great. If I use AAS, do I need to use McRuffy? Wouldn't that be double doing myself? Or maybe even confusing with all those new words? What about just adding on Growing with Grammar instead or another Grammar program?

Also, can this program be used with a 6 year old or is that too young to start? I only ask because I did a search and noticed most use it with older children. If I do use with both children, do I need to purchase the other set of tiles, etc.?

I just checked out the site. I think I'm going to order it for my son (8 1/2), who CANNOT spell! Do I need to order the magnetic strips to add to the tiles. Can we just use the tiles on the floor, or do you need a magnetic board and magnetic strips.

You can use the tiles without the magnets, but the magnets really make it a lot easier--there are 2 of every letter of the alphabet, plus the other 46 phonograms (eventually--you add them in as you learn them), and then eventually prefixes & suffixes...it would be a lot to set those up each time you wanted to use them. The alphabetizing process is good for kids, but I think it would get old pretty fast! I love having them on the magnet board so that they are all set up and ready to go on the days that we need to use them.

HTH! Merry :-)

I checked out a sample and it looks great. If I use AAS, do I need to use McRuffy? Wouldn't that be double doing myself? Or maybe even confusing with all those new words? What about just adding on Growing with Grammar instead or another Grammar program?

It's a complete phonics program, so you might not need additional phonics. It's scripted and paced for spelling though, so you may find that you want to add something back in for teaching reading--just depends on how your kids are progressing. I think you could try it without and see how it goes.

Also, can this program be used with a 6 year old or is that too young to start? I only ask because I did a search and noticed most use it with older children. If I do use with both children, do I need to purchase the other set of tiles, etc.?

Yes, you can start with a 6 yo. Here's an article about readiness. If he or she is ready to begin reading, you can start. (It might even be helpful to catch kids before they start making lots of mistakes!). Just take it at each child's pace and have fun with it. (I really wish I had had this when my kids were first starting out!) Merry :-)

We use them on the floor instead of on a magnetic board. It usually takes five minutes to set it all up. My two boys take turns setting it all up each time we use it.