Menu

Need frugal and creative ideas for kitchen island countertop

I'm in the middle of a mini-remodel of my kitchen -- painting the cabinets (finally), getting new laminate on the counters, hardware, etc. I'm considering doing something different with my island countertop. It is large (36" x 72") and I don't have a budget for granite, but am considering using granite tiles. I like butcher block but that quote came in too expensive.

What sorts of frugal creative ideas are out there? (painting it to make it look like tile isn't an option -- the current countertops has too much damage) If you have pictures on a blog or website, that would be great, too. We're going for a country kitchen feel.

Ready, set, go!

I have not done this (mind you) but I was in a home where they had poured concrete countertops which were glazed/stained? and sealed. It was gorgeous!

They said it was cheap too. But you do evidently have to be very careful/skillful to get the best float.

Just an idea.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I vote for stained/patterned concrete. My best friend had this recently done on her island countertop in the kitchen. It wasn't a big space, maybe 30X48 and around $100. This included staining it black, imprinting a traditional kitchen tile pattern on it, and sealing it. It took all of 2 days total from start to finish (8 hour construction days) and a couple of more days to fully cure. I am hoping to do the same when we get our kitchen done in a few years.

It's not appropriate to tell you all that I love you all, is it? :D

I love those ideas....the concrete *and* the IKEA butcher block. I forgot that IKEA is near my MIL, and we're due to go visit in a few weeks. My dh poured concrete in college to make some extra money, and he might like that idea....

Thanks!

I don't want to change the subject because we need counter tops as well but this made me think - my dh worked in the library in college! Help we are drowning in books. :lol: