Menu

Found cell phone

My older boys found a cell phone at the neighborhood park.

They were able to find the owners email address and have

emailed twice. They also put something on this kids my space

page. This was over 2 weeks ago and it's a nice phone.

We've had no response. Any ideas what we should do with it?

They'd like to give it to one of their friends who could use it

but that doesn't seem right.

Is there any ICE numbers or ones that say things like "mom" or something?

I'd try calling those.

And is there any indication what cell phone company? For example, the sim card, is it on the face of the phone, etc? You could contact the company and they may be able to contact them.

You may also try the police to see if one has been reported missing and to ask them for advice.

At some point, I guess it becomes yours; but I don't know....

Unless it's a pay-as-you-go cell phone, someone is going to get billed for its usage, and when the bill isn't paid, service will be cancelled. So, no, I don't see how you could give it to someone else.

I'm thinking you should check the number and contact the service provider and if nothing else, send it back to the company.

Sounds like someone wanted Mom and Dad to buy them a new phone and your dcs are thwarting their efforts :p

I second the idea of calling anyone listed under ICE (those numbers may be in red on their contacts list). If you want to keep the phone, turn it into the police station. They'll hold it for so long (they can tell you how long) and then you can go back and claim it. Change the sim card for the new owner.

something expensive like a cell phone, I would take to the police station. I may try a few calls, but would not have kept it more than a couple of hours. That way, if the owner is never found, it may be yours free and clear and then you can take it to the provider's shop and get a new sim card.

:iagree:This was my first thought but for a different reason. Perhaps the owner is a missing person or a victim of crime. The police may find it valuable in any investigation that may be going on. Of course, it could've just fallen out of his/her pocket.:D

:iagree:This was my first thought but for a different reason. Perhaps the owner is a missing person or a victim of crime. The police may find it valuable in any investigation that may be going on. Of course, it could've just fallen out of his/her pocket.:D

I actually had thoughts along the same lines, but was afraid I'd be accused of reading too many Stephanie Plum novels. :D