Menu

Is this too much??

Nope, not too much in my book! Is he taking a foreign language, too?

He took two years of Latin (9th and 10th). He hasn't taken anything in the fine arts which would be drudgery to him. We did so much of that in k-8 (our small co-op was rather overzealous in the 'classical" method in those early years;) but he probably needs a fine arts credit.

If he's college bound, have him take at least one more credit of Latin (2 would be better but I see he's a SR). Colleges generally want at least 3 credits in one lang or 2 and 2. Remember, he'll be competing with kids who have had 4, or who have done more than that.

He could do an art appreciation credit or .5 credit by going thru Annotated Mona Lisa or doing a TC lecture series once a week. He could do the same for music--mine used Chronological Study of Music, which had him listening online to pieces of great works and filling in a sheet every week (easy-peasy, gave him great exposure) and then doing some readings in Gift of Music (basic biographical info). It probably took an hour once a week. Or you could design something yourself and let him do it over the course of the rest of his time at home with you, but only give one credit (you know, drag it out to lessen the pain! LOL).--Oops, again seeing he's a SR.

:iagree: with Chris. As long as he's reasonably on-board with those choices and is capable of high-school level work without too much tooth-pulling, I'd say go for it.

My two oldest both had pretty intense senior years and enjoyed them. I recommend that he starts his college application process very soon, so that's well underway or even finished by the time the workload ramps up.

GardenMom

If he's college bound, have him take at least one more credit of Latin (2 would be better but I see he's a SR). Colleges generally want at least 3 credits in one lang or 2 and 2. Remember, he'll be competing with kids who have had 4, or who have done more than that.

He could do an art appreciation credit or .5 credit by going thru Annotated Mona Lisa or doing a TC lecture series once a week. He could do the same for music--mine used Chronological Study of Music, which had him listening online to pieces of great works and filling in a sheet every week (easy-peasy, gave him great exposure) and then doing some readings in Gift of Music (basic biographical info). It probably took an hour once a week. Or you could design something yourself and let him do it over the course of the rest of his time at home with you, but only give one credit (you know, drag it out to lessen the pain! LOL).--Oops, again seeing he's a SR.

Chris,

Would you mind posting a link for your chronological music study.

Thank you,

Cindy

Is physics (BJU w/dvd), MUS calculus, and LOF statistics too much in one year? I'm beginning to think perhaps I'm overloading ds his Sr year:confused:

He'll also be taking economics, lit and perhaps history (not sure)

Too much? Maybe. But it totally depends upon the child. Is he a mathy kind a kid? I found that I liked to lighten the senior year a bit since there was so much to do to get into college--essays to write, scholarships to apply for... I try to get the heaviest load out of the way before that last year. If he already knows where he is going and has done all the footwork before hand and is not going to be the lead roll in the drama troupe (mine was), then it might be perfectly fine. On the other hand, if he is experiencing a bit of a burned-out feeling, now may not be the time to push. Let him work hard, get it all done in a reasonable time, and then he will have the summer to reboot for college.

If you know what colleges he wants to get into, check foreign language requirements. Some want 2; some, 3. If you have enough and language is not his thing, let it lie (imo). :D I gave .5 credit for music and art appreciation. I'm not sure it made a difference to the colleges, but we have not tried to get into top schools--just local state schools and a few private ones.

:) Jean

I, too, would be interested in the chronological music link and any insight you could give into that program!

Thanks,

Myra

It's not called what I called it--my bad--

Here it is at Rainbow Resources.

You need two other books, called Spiritual Lives of the Composers and something like Gift of Music. It also has them go thru a very small Usborne book, but you could skip that.

It's basically a listening program--you use the websites given in the main book, listen, answer some questions, do some biographical reading. It's pretty good, and worth .5 credit, imo.