Menu

can we talk GPA again

Guest Barb B

Guest Barb B

What GPA scale do you use. I give % grades; depending on the scale - the gpa can vary greatly. There are way to many scales out there.

Here is mine (for now?):

99-100 - 4.0

95-98 - 4,o

93-94 - 3.7

90-92 - 3.3

87-89 - 3.0

And so on. . .

Barb

Edited by Barb B

Barb, I use the same scale as AngieW. However, I am thinking of switching to the scale used at the local Christian high school, which is more like yours. I don't have it handy, but I know that basically:

A = 93-100 = 4.0

A- = 90-92= 3.7

B+ = 88-89 = 3.5

B = 84-87 = 3.0

B- = 81-83 = 2.7 etc.

The percentages listed above for the Chrisitian school are close but not exact. I'll look them up and edit them. Also, I found that my daughters' gpas were almost identical no matter which way I did it. In both cases, the A- and B+ (for example) seemed to balance each other out.

Lisaj

What GPA scale do you use. I give % grades; depending on the scale - the gpa can vary greatly. There are way to many scales out there.

Here is mine (for now?):

99-100 - 4.0

95-98 - 4,o

93-94 - 3.7

90-92 - 3.3

87-89 - 3.0

And so on. . .

Barb

It doesn't matter a lick what you use; colleges, high schools, etc do not tend to accept homeschool grades. For this reason, I use M for mastery. I'd use F for Fail if it came to that. I don't use P for Pass because it implies that one could just barely squeak through.

I don't use P for Pass because it implies that one could just barely squeak through.

I don't recall which college site it was on, but some site I looked at had the comment that "Pass" would be translated as a "D" for figuring the GPA.

It doesn't matter a lick what you use; colleges, high schools, etc do not tend to accept homeschool grades. For this reason, I use M for mastery. I'd use F for Fail if it came to that. I don't use P for Pass because it implies that one could just barely squeak through.

This might be true for some colleges, but I think others do look at grades from a homeschooler. A GPA would definitely be used if your child applied for outside scholarships where most of the applicants are from traditional schools.

I'd use either your proposed scale or the one that Angie mentioned, whichever one comes out better for your student. I figured my son's both ways, and they were essentially the same.

Another thing to consider is if your child is applying to mostly local, state colleges, you might look at how your local ps figures GPA and use that scale. The admissions person at our state school said that they "refigure" everyone's GPA anyway because a lot of schools use weighted grades, and they figure the weighting differently.

I chose not to use weighted grades, and I talked about that in my counselor letter. I basically said that my son's courses were designed to be rigorous and require mastery, but that since we only have one "level" of course, it didn't make sense to me to call it "honors".

HTH,

Brenda

Guest Barb B

I decided to use the one I posted. It is a bit tougher then some, but I heard colleges will recalculate students gpa's anywhere to there own scale. I figure since I put % grades on the transcripts that it probably doesn't matter my gpa scale - as long as I have exact percentage grades and my scale.

Barb

When I did the transcripts for the students in my umbrella school, I didn't put percentages or plus/minus on the letter grades...just A, B, C, etc. For GPA, I kept it simple: A=4, B=3, C=3, D=1. None of my grads had any problems with colleges accepting/questioning their transcripts.