Menu

Is Total Health a one semester class?

Is Total Health by Susan Boe supposed to be completed in one semester? Can anyone compare Total Health with Abeka's health course? Personally, I would just skip this course, but the umbrella school I will be using requires a semester of health with tests...

Martha

Hi,

I have used Total Health twice - each as a semester course. Both times I had the kids read through the text as assigned by myself. We chose not to do the tests. If you need to keep strict hours, then you may need to supplement a bit for a semester.

Health was required for us as well. I chose this one because of various reviews I had read indicating the reading was more interesting. I found the coverage to be a good all course covering a number of areas. I have not used Abeka health at this level, but the 1-2 younger levels we used sporadically to supplement our studies.

Hope this helps. If you have specific questions, please feel free to pm me.

Pam

As others said, a one semester half-credit course. I have taught health using this textbook for my co-op. I taught it over a full year but designed the course so that students would put in about 80-90 hours of work for their 1/2 credit. I required my students to choose a certain number of questions/essays/projects for each chapter (there are lots of choices for each chapter). They also took the chapter tests but not quizzes. They kept a log of their reading hours, and gave me estimates of how much time they spent on assignments so I could get a feel for whether I was demanding more of their time than 90 hours or not. They came pretty close with reading, answering questions, or doing projects for each chapter, and the tests.

Are you planning to use the teacher manual?

Cynthia,

I'm planning on using Total Health with my son this year. I only have the textbook and the quiz/test book. I was also wondering about the teacher's edition because it's $50. I did some googling, and I found this website description:

http://www.exodusbooks.com/category.aspx?id=3492

From what this said, it didn't look like the TE would be worth $50 to me. I'm just going to have my son read the chapters and take the tests and call it done.

HTH,

Brenda

From what this said, it didn't look like the TE would be worth $50 to me. I'm just going to have my son read the chapters and take the tests and call it done.

Thanks, Brenda. That's what I was thinking. $50 for a one semester course just isn't worth it, IMO. And it is a "just get it done" kind of course for us, too.

Thanks, Brenda. That's what I was thinking. $50 for a one semester course just isn't worth it, IMO. And it is a "just get it done" kind of course for us, too.

I have the Teachers Edition and no, it is not at all necessary. It has ideas for use in a classroom, some worksheets, an outline of each chapter & other teaching tips. It does not have answers to the questions in the student book. You're on your own for answers if you assign questions from the student book. I read the chapters thoroughly to prepare for teaching, so it worked out for me, but that's something to know before you decide what "output" you want your students to give for this course.

The teacher's manual of Total Health has a grid for using the book over 1 or 2 semesters. I think 1 is the norm, but 2 is possible.

Some programs have schedules for using Total Health with I Kissed Dating Goodbye: Hewitt & My Father's World, for instance.

Julie