Menu

Apologia Elementary Science

mom2denj

If you used this all through the elem years, could you please share what order you used the books. Starting with Kindergarten, if you used it for K.

Thanks, Kristen

This is from the author's website:

With which book should I begin?

The books do not need to be done in any certain order. I recommend you begin with which ever book you and your children believe to be the most interesting right now. Follow your interests.

If you choose to do Zoology II before Zoology I, your child will not get a detailed look into animal classification or endangered species. These two topics are discussed in the first lesson of Zoology I. However, this first lesson of Zoology I is the sample lesson available for download from Apologia and this website. You are free to print it up and discuss these topics with your children if you desire for them to learn about them before you begin

Direct link here .

I will be using the order that works for us ;), although I will be using the Zoology books in order. Of course this is if the books work for us as well as I am hoping. We will be using other science programs also though and so I am trying to see how I can make them work together more effectively.

Edited by Guest

I used them in the order of creation. However, I didn't use for K and won't begin using them again for my youngest until 3rd grade. IMO they are "too much" for K-2nd to "get." At least in my house. For people with advanced readers they may be fine.

We'll be using Apologia again this year. We're going to be doing Botany this year for my K5er and 2nd grader.

Last year we did the Astronomy for my K4er and 1st grader. I skipped ALOT of the talky stuff...and supplemented with Considering God's Creation for alot more "fun" filled things. For me they seemed to go a little bit too deep for my kiddos last year. We'll be revisiting the Astronomy one after we're done with the Zoology series because they loved it but it was just a bit much. I mean what Ker or 1st grader needs to know THAT much about each planet?? So I think if you are willing to cut out the "detailed" stuff and cover the important basics and do the projects, lapbooking and some fun notebooking you'll love teaching it! Or atleast I did.

I have used all of the Apologia books for my kids through the years. There isn't a certain order that they need to be completed. If I were to start over with the series, this is the order I would use:

1) Zoology 1

2) Astronomy

3) Zoology 2

4) Botany

5) Zoology 3

6) Human Anatomy

The reason I suggest this order is because I got tired of studying animals for three books in a row (my kids never complained). I wish we had split it up to avoid my burnout. If you would rather keep the Zoology books together then I would suggest you start with Astronomy & Botany since they are shorter than the other books. What ever you do, use the Human Anatomy book last because it is more difficult than the rest of the series. This is just my two cents worth.

What ever you do, use the Human Anatomy book last because it is more difficult than the rest of the series.

Thank you for sharing this. Good to know :).

I used them according to the children's interests at the time. So our first book was Astronomy and it was a huge hit...but we have 10" telescope and are big astronomy buffs so I can't say that I used the text as is...more as a guide and we added a lot to it.

The kids wanted chemistry next and of course there isn't a book on that so we tool a break and did a different course.

Then they wanted flying creatures which we followed with swimming creatures and the youngest has done mammals but the older two had aged out of that program and started Apologia general science before the mammals book even came out.

Ds 10 is ready to be seriously challenged in science but he can't handle quite as much writing as the general science course so for the next two years he will be doing Real Science for Kids level 1 and 2 before going into general science in the 7th grade.

Oh, and we never did the botany book. Ds 11 might have enjoyed that at a some point. But, though we have a large garden, I actually do not like plants and except for the ones in the garden (mostly taken care of by dh), I kill plants. Literally, if there was a green police for plant life, I'd be doing life without parole. I either over water, under water, or forget that I even have house plants. Given that there were all of these cool "grow your own" experiments, there just wasn't any way that course was going to work for us!

Faith

The kids wanted chemistry next and of course there isn't a book on that so we tool a break and did a different course.

Faith

There is a Chemistry/Physics book coming soon. There is no time table for its release yet. They are in the beginning stages of editing now.

Thanks so much for your advice! This is exactly what I was looking for! Could you tell me what age you started using this series with. Is K to young?

I have used all of the Apologia books for my kids through the years. There isn't a certain order that they need to be completed. If I were to start over with the series, this is the order I would use:

1) Zoology 1

2) Astronomy

3) Zoology 2

4) Botany

5) Zoology 3

6) Human Anatomy

The reason I suggest this order is because I got tired of studying animals for three books in a row (my kids never complained). I wish we had split it up to avoid my burnout. If you would rather keep the Zoology books together then I would suggest you start with Astronomy & Botany since they are shorter than the other books. What ever you do, use the Human Anatomy book last because it is more difficult than the rest of the series. This is just my two cents worth.

My youngest was in 3rd grade when we began homeschooling. We began using Apologia half-way through that year. I wish I could advise you about using Apologia with a Kindergartener but I have no experience to draw from. Maybe someone else can help you out.

I like animals first b/c kids like animals first. The botany and Anatomy are not as exciting, so I prefer to put them off a little. I also like to rotate Apologia w/ Noeo, RS4K or my own stuff so we're at least introducing physics, chemistry and geology.

Great stuff, just pick what you like and enjoy!

That's kinda the mix I am thinking also ;), only instead of Noeo I will be using BFSU as our spine and adding RS4K and then trying to do Apologia either in the summer or after RS4K is done since they are only 10 weeks. I have also been thinking about doing the animals first (we will be starting with Zoology 1) for the same reason as you mentioned, although Astronomy is one that I also know my son will enjoy so I am not sure if I will take a break after Zoology 1 or 2 and do Astronomy or just finish Zoology and then move onto Astronomy. We'll see how this year goes first and how we like all these programs before I decide.

Oh, and we never did the botany book. Ds 11 might have enjoyed that at a some point. But, though we have a large garden, I actually do not like plants and except for the ones in the garden (mostly taken care of by dh), I kill plants. Literally, if there was a green police for plant life, I'd be doing life without parole. I either over water, under water, or forget that I even have house plants. Given that there were all of these cool "grow your own" experiments, there just wasn't any way that course was going to work for us!

Faith

:lol: That was me also, only my hubby somehow managed to rub off on me and now I am actually really good with plants ;).

There is a Chemistry/Physics book coming soon. There is no time table for its release yet. They are in the beginning stages of editing now.

Yep, the plan is to have seven books for grades K-6.

I always start with it in 2nd grade. We do an EXTREME basic over view of science in Kindergarten. Then in first grade we use The Wonder of God's World Dinosaur Activity Book

When we do start Apologia in 2nd grade I let the kids choose what they want to do! That keeps it more fun and they feel in control of their learning to a certain extent! My dd who just finished 2nd grade chose Astronomy first. She is a space-a-holic! We do 1 book in 2nd, then 2 the rest of the years. (They are coming out with a physics and chemistry book next year:D :D) We do botany in the summer-they chose what summer (my dd wanted to do it this summer) and we make sure whatever year they decide on Zoology 1 we do that book first and the insects chapter before the rest. My dd (who will be in 3rd grade next year) is doing botany this summer (and probably the beginning of 3rd) and she wants to do Zoology 1 and 2 this year.

We also do God's Design for Science- Wind and Weather in the mix because that is the one area Apologia is lacking (weather)

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Thanks so much for your advice! This is exactly what I was looking for! Could you tell me what age you started using this series with. Is K to young?

We currently own Zoology 1. I started it with my son a few weeks ago and stopped because it's summer and we have had a lot going on (international move etc.) and decided I would focus on finishing our LA, math etc. that had priority at this time rather than sticking a new program in. What I did see however is that you can adapt the program and by making it more hands on you can cater to a younger child. I feel it is really up to you and the kind of person you are. If you really want to use it and have time to adapt it to your kids then great, otherwise you can wait. It also depends I find on your kids' learning style. My kiddo likes sticking with one topic for longer periods and exploring. We started SL's K science and we did well the first 13 weeks but after that I could tell the constant change of topics was getting to him. I put it aside and will use the components differently (as resources) but have decided that the spiral approach, especially for science that my tactile/ visual learner loves, is just not going to work for us. So much to think about and consider when making decisions ;). This year has been a great learning experience for me.

Edited by Guest

We did the following:

1) Astronomy (my girls were in 4th and 2nd grade at the time)

2) Zoology 1 (girls were in 5th and 3rd grade, ds was in K and I really don't think he retained any of it, he just halfway sat in during the lessons)

3) Botany (ds was in 1st grade, girls were in 6th and 4th grade. We did this in a group with 3 other kids and DS has retained a LOT of this)

4) Zoo3, we're completing over this summer - still with a group.

5) Zoo 2 this next year, ds will be in 2nd grade, girls are in 7th and 5th (oldest dd will be doing Apologia General Science and just reading the lessons for Zoo 2) - also in a group setting

6) We'll do Astronomy over the next summer again, since dd#2 was only in 2nd grade and really doesn't remember much and it will be the first time through for ds. (still in a group setting)

7) Then we'll tackle the Anatomy book when dd#2 is in 6th grade and ds is in 3rd.

For K I did Living Learning Books Level1: Animals, Human Body and Plants. I found it being a very good introduction to science for young kids.

For 1st grader I used "Let's science" from Singapore science. My daughter had a lot of fun doing experiments with her dad who is an engineer(physics is not my piece of cake). We did 2 year program(2 books) withing a year.

For 2nd grade we did Astronomy book but haven't finished it because we supplemented with AIG "Planet Earth" and "Weather" books.

This summer we are doing R.E.A.L Science: Life and planning of making the "Animal Classification" lapbook.

This fall we are going to do Apologia Zoology II (Swimming Creatures) and do RS4K chemistry/physics books for pre-level this winter/spring. We will do Zoology I in spring/summer/fall. My child will be entering 3rd grade this year.

That's kinda the mix I am thinking also ;), only instead of Noeo I will be using BFSU as our spine and adding RS4K and then trying to do Apologia either in the summer or after RS4K is done since they are only 10 weeks. I have also been thinking about doing the animals first (we will be starting with Zoology 1) for the same reason as you mentioned, although Astronomy is one that I also know my son will enjoy so I am not sure if I will take a break after Zoology 1 or 2 and do Astronomy or just finish Zoology and then move onto Astronomy. We'll see how this year goes first and how we like all these programs before I decide.
Animals Do the Strangest Things is a great series to read and introduce to each animal. It makes a great K science just to read all about any creature you see at home. The reading coupled with nature study is a lovely K or 1st grade year.

I think K is a little young for the series. The astronomy particularly, b/c youngins are so concrete, its tough to translate (in their minds) all this stuff that's going on so far away (outer space). The animals are much more tanigible to them and the resources at your disposal are far more concrete (the zoo, pets, pet stores).

Oh you all are so great! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I think that we will hold off on Apologia for a while. I have a great Intro to science that a friend gave to me, and I will add some nature for K. I am heading to a hs convention in a couple of weeks, maybe I will be able to look through some of the Apologia Elementary series. Thanks again to everyone!!!:DKristen

Animals Do the Strangest Things is a great series to read and introduce to each animal. It makes a great K science just to read all about any creature you see at home. The reading coupled with nature study is a lovely K or 1st grade year.

Thank you. I looked for them but they don't seem easy to find and my library doesn't seem to carry them. I have a kid who's a tactile/ visual learner and is a whiz at building things. He needs a science program that has a lot of hands on and experimentation or it won't hold his interest, hence my decision to try BFSU with him. Reading facts was what we did with SL K ;), if there's no practical aspect he will get bored even though he loves animals. He will sit and watch documentaries and learn animal facts and then tell the info back to me with the same tone as the narrator but I know that just focusing on a whole bunch of reading will get to him where science is concerned. He is also a good reader, well above his level, and will read certain things on his own time. Science is a biggy in our house since I know that is the direction he will be taking, so trying different programs should give me an idea of what he enjoys. We also use the Usborne Internet linked books for lots of visuals :D. He loves the combo of some info and lots of hands on learning through their website. Having purchased BFSU (I am currently reading the book and working on my planning) and also owning Apologia Zoology 1 for a while now I feel that they both will be a good fit for him, BFSU more than anything else.

Edited by Guest

Thank you. I looked for them but they don't seem easy to find and my library doesn't seem to carry them. I have a kid who's a tactile/ visual learner and is a whiz at building things. He needs a science program that has a lot of hands on and experimentation or it won't hold his interest, hence my decision to try BFSU with him. Reading facts was what we did with SL K ;), if there's no practical aspect he will get bored even though he loves animals. He will sit and watch documentaries and learn animal facts and then tell the info back to me with the same tone as the narrator but I know that just focusing on a whole bunch of reading will get to him where science is concerned. He is also a good reader, well above his level, and will read certain things on his own time. Science is a biggy in our house since I know that is the direction he will be taking, so trying different programs should give me an idea of what he enjoys. We also use the Usborne Internet linked books for lots of visuals :D. He loves the combo of some info and lots of hands on learning through their website. Having purchased BFSU (I am currently reading the book and working on my planning) and also owning Apologia Zoology 1 for a while now I feel that they both will be a good fit for him, BFSU more than anything else.

Here it is on Worldcat.org. If you scroll down and enter your zip code, it will let you know if a library near you has the book. Perhaps an author search may help too, with your local library. HTH. Enjoy your planning. Sounds like a nice, hands on year!

Here it is on Worldcat.org. If you scroll down and enter your zip code, it will let you know if a library near you has the book. Perhaps an author search may help too, with your local library. HTH. Enjoy your planning. Sounds like a nice, hands on year!

Thanks for the link. I'll try it. I did try the authors' names also but no luck with our local library system.

We did Zoo 1 this year, my youngest being a Ker. She did well, but myexpectations of her are low. When we notebook, I just have her pick out one thing from the reading and write a short sentance about that. (which I write for her and she copies). She has retained much more than I ever hought. A few years ago we did Astronomy (just reading). Ds is really the only one who remembers anything, but he was a 1st grader at the time and does remember a lot.

I used the Astronomy book for a second grade boy - he really enjoyed it, (but I got a little tired of studying space the entire year.) My kindergarten boy listened in at the time and helped with the experiments. We picked the astronomy book only because that is what we were studying that particular year.