Menu

What is your favorite Elemtary Science currriculum?

mom2denj

Apologia's Elementary series!

I love it because:

They are written more like Living Books rather than textbooks

It has YEC viewpoint

It covers one topic indepth at a time

It is interesting even for dh and I to listen to

it is very thorough yet engaging even for young kids

the experiments are easy

It has colorful not black and white

For grammar stage we're enjoying Elemental Science. It is based off the WTM recommendations, but with all the work done for you! It's simple, straightforward, easy to adapt to go deeper if you want... we just add extra literature and it works wonderfully for my 9 y/o down to my 4 y/o. Probably my favorite part of it is that narration sheets are pre-made for you... so narration actually gets done here! My kids love creating their own notebook based on the narration pages.

We are just starting out (we are completing K this year) so we are still searching where science is concerned. We tried SL's K and the spiral approach just didn't work for us. It was fine for the first few weeks and then it got to the point where all we were enjoying were the science experiments and the DVD with the experiments. We did not like all the hopping around. What I have decided to do now is try several programs to see what we can work with and what will suit us and meet our goals. I recently purchased BFSU and will be supplementing it with RS4K Biology for this year. In the summer we will do Apologia Zoology 1 (that's next summer). Then for the following year (grade 2), my goal is to repeat BFSU adding RS4K Physics and then another Apologia book in the summer (not sure which yet). By then the next level of BFSU will be out and I will hopefully start this again. This is how I am hoping to proceed with science but also have Singapore Science on the backburner and may decide to switch one of the ones previously mentioned to it if something is not working for us. We shall see. Anyway, I would love to hear what others that have btdt have to say. Thank you for starting this thread.

I like the Christian Kids Explore series bc:

1. It follows the WTM sequence

2. It is organized well, is brief and to the point

3. Includes activities, experiments, review questions, coloring pages for each unit, vocabulary to memorize, and unit tests

4. Has a great list of recommended reading for each unit and my library had most of them

It doesn't have any photos or color pics. Bc of that, I switched to Apologia Elementary last year, but the narrative style for science was way...too...chatty...for me! And I couldn't implement that style of notebooking. It is a great program though, just not for us. This year we are back to CKE.

If I had it to do all over again :), I'd start SL Science K in K and stick with SL Science through high school. I like the books, the variety of content, the science kits, the DVDS, the schedule. I like that the children are exposed to various viewpoints and ideas without compromising a Christian education. I'd add some nature study and alot of nature walks but for "school-time", I'd use SL.

My fave so far was SL Science 4. We haven't used any other SL Science b/c of the creationist slant (not my cup of tea). . . but if I were a creationist, I'd be all over SL Science from day 1!

I like Elemental Science pretty well so far. . . but we've just been doing it for a couple months. I'll likely stick with that for the rest of the early years w/ my youngest, until we get to SL 4!

Our favorite: pick a general science topic for the year (ex: earth science; chemistry; physics; life science; astronomy), compile a list of subtopics under that science field (from science encyclopedias, online table of contents of various science programs, etc.), and then use (as WE had time and interest):

- books (Let's Read and Find Out About Science series; Magic School bus series; One Square series; books by Seymour Simon, Gail Gibbons, etc...)

- library books (from the kids non-fiction section)

- library videos/DVDs (Magic School Bus, Eyewitness series, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Building Big series, Popular Science for Kids series, Schlessinger Media series, Mythbusters series, etc.)

- cool science kits

- experiments from library books

- websites (Rader's: Chem4kids, Physics4kids, Geography4kids, Astronomy4kids, Biology4kids; http://www.stevespanglerscience.com; etc.)

- field trips (science museums, nature walks, cave tours, etc. etc.)

Best "curriculum" EVER for keeping alive that love of learning and discovery! And both DSs always scored off-the-charts high in science on national testing, so it must have "stuck". :) BEST of luck finding the best science fit for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I like Apologia Elem. also, but we prefer to shorten the books into one semester (16-20weeks). Be sure to Nature Journal this one!

I like Noeo, but also shorten it to 1 semester. I like to do ALL the hands on with this program.

I like Real Science 4 Kids, it's only about 10 weeks, though and I didn't love the experiments, so if you do that one, I suggest having an experiment book alongside.

I've looked at Elemental Science...looks very good.

I'm making my own physics so I can do one room school house with K-8. I'm sure I'll really like it when its' done.:D

Although it can be a lot of work, science unit studies are nice, too. Just too much work for the average bear (like me) to do all the time.

I have tried many elementary science programs and have not been happy with them. This year, we are going to try Real Science Odyssey and I think I have found the program of my dreams. Now, we haven't used it (will start next onth) yet but it has all of the elements that are important to me in a program: good living book list, informational, and lots of experiments/acticivities. RSO for now only has three programs for elementary age but I hear there are plans to add on in the future.

I was planning on using Elemental Science for my first grader and R.E.A.L Science Odyssey for my third and fourth grader. The fifth grader is using the WTM suggestions from the first edition. After one day of Science, the R.E.A.L Science users begged to jump ship and join little sister in Elemental Science with the addition of "Bigger kid books because we are smarter.";) I've owned R.E.A.L. Science for four years and didn't end up using it when current fifth grader was in grammar stage Life Science. I was looking forward to using it. We've only schooled two days thus far so I'm not sure how this Science dilemma is going to resolve. :glare:

Michele

We've really enjoyed Building Foundations for Scientific Thinking K-2 by Bernard Nebel. It gives ideas for conversations, great activities, and lots of suggestions for fantastic living books too. My son has loved pretty much every project we've done and easily grasped the concepts completely with the way they give you to present it. Plus it's super inexpensive too.

I was planning on using Elemental Science for my first grader and R.E.A.L Science Odyssey for my third and fourth grader. The fifth grader is using the WTM suggestions from the first edition. After one day of Science, the R.E.A.L Science users begged to jump ship and join little sister in Elemental Science with the addition of "Bigger kid books because we are smarter.";) I've owned R.E.A.L. Science for four years and didn't end up using it when current fifth grader was in grammar stage Life Science. I was looking forward to using it. We've only schooled two days thus far so I'm not sure how this Science dilemma is going to resolve. :glare:

Michele

What didn't your child like about RSO? I am leaning toward RSO as our science choice and would love to hear your thoughts.

What didn't your child like about RSO? I am leaning toward RSO as our science choice and would love to hear your thoughts.

Well, keep in mind that it WAS only the first day BUT...my 9 year old (who probably influenced her younger 8 yr old sister) didn't like how the book spoke to the student. 9 yr old thought that "You are alive, aren't you?" seemed (in her words) "babyish and rude." She also mentioned (twice <g>) that she didn't like the "font." Having had a day to ponder, I'm thinking that it could also be that little sister starts with animals and animals are always a big draw. I think that we might "mix and match" a bit. I dug up my 1999 WTM and I'm falling in love with the "use a spine and supplement method" again. In my quest to simplify this year, I'm becoming increasingly baffled. I'm sure the clouds will lift soon but YOWSA..Comparing Elemental Science and RSO, I think that BOTH are good curricula.