Menu

Suggestions on what to use for an Earth, Space, and Physics High School Course?

My daughter has to have an Earth, Space, and Physics science credit and I'm having a hard time finding a text for this. Can someone help me in finding a curriculum that's suited for high school? All the courses I'm finding are for 8th grade. My daughter will be in 10th. Thanks so much!

My daughter has to have an Earth, Space, and Physics science credit and I'm having a hard time finding a text for this. Can someone help me in finding a curriculum that's suited for high school? All the courses I'm finding are for 8th grade. My daughter will be in 10th. Thanks so much!

My Dd is doing The Joy of Science from Teaching Company (The Great Courses) and for text book she is using "The Sciences: An Integrated Approach". This course covers Physics, Chemistry, Astronomy, Earth Science, Biology. My Dd is doing this in 10th grade.

My daughter took Apologia's Physical Science course in 8th grade so could I count that towards a high school science credit? I have found that BJU has an 8th grade earth science~would it stand as a high school level course in your opinion?

The Teaching Company looks great! I'm not sure I could swing the price though.

Thanks ladies for your suggestions!

Just found a Lifepac General Science III ( recommended for 9th grade) which covers earth science. I've never used a Lifepac before. Any reviews?

Alpha Omega also has a complete one year Earth Science course that is listed under the Electives. My son used the SOS CD-ROM version of the course this year for 9th grade. I tend to like the SOS versions better than the Lifepacs because it takes some of the grading burden off the parent.

I don't care for the idea of doing all Alpha Omega because as a curriculum, it's not strong on critical thinking skills. The questions in assignments tend to focus on lower level fact-based comprehension questions. However, for a subject here and there I have generally liked using SOS.

This particular course is not overwhelming in time requirements so it's not hard to add some DVDs, books, or magazine articles to the course to add interest and/or challenge.

Also, the SOS versions allow the teaching parent to create extra assignments and add them to the schedule on the software. That's something else I like about SOS over the printed Lifepacs.

The BJU Space and Earth science is meaty enough to be a high school level course, in my opinion. If you choose to use the DVD or streaming options, Mrs Vick is great at presnting the material and Miss Corey demonstrates most of the labs. It is a very interestion class.

Susan

My daughter took Apologia's Physical Science course in 8th grade so could I count that towards a high school science credit? I have found that BJU has an 8th grade earth science~would it stand as a high school level course in your opinion?

I would count the Physical Science class she took in 8th. We are going to be using the BJU Space and Earth Science for high school. I have read several reviews where it has been used in high school and was definitely meaty enough.

Hmmm, well you may have talked me into just counting her physical science course for a HS credit. If I chicken out by thinking I may have trouble with that down the road at least now I have several options to consider.

If I had to do it over again, I probably would have just waited until her 9th grade year to do Physical Science anyway since she's not going into any kind of science field after high school.

Thanks so much Ladies for your advice! What would we do without these boards!

With all my kids so far I have put their physical science classes on the high school transcript, even if they took it in 8th grade, because it was considered high school level.

The BJU Space & Earth course, in my opinion, can definitely stand as a high school course. It's very meaty.

The Teaching Company looks great! I'm not sure I could swing the price though.

Thanks ladies for your suggestions!

We used BJU's Space and Earth for 11th grade. I compared it to the text they are using at the local high school, it covered the same material. We also did Apologia's Physical Science. Both of these were on ds high school transcripts.

FYI: You will still need what I call the "big 3" for college admission: biology, chemistry, physics. You can substitute the chemistry and physics out for marine biology and anatomy, or do advanced chemistry instead of physics. The wording on college requirements is biology and two more sciences needing a biology prerequisite. It may vary a little between states, but that is what we needed to do for college admission.

Okay, one last question. Is the Physical Science course she took ( in 8th grade) the same as Earth, Space, and Physics? I'm not sure. If it is then that would be great and her schedule would probably look like this:

Physical Science (8th grade)

Biology (freshman year)

Anatomy (sophomore year)

Chemistry junior year)

If it doesn't substitute then her schedule will probably look like this:

Biology (freshman year)

ESP (sophomore year)

Anatomy (junior year)

Chemistry(senior year)

(which will make her having to take 4 sciences in high school instead of 3)

:confused: What'ya think?

FYI: You will still need what I call the "big 3" for college admission: biology, chemistry, physics. You can substitute the chemistry and physics out for marine biology and anatomy, or do advanced chemistry instead of physics. The wording on college requirements is biology and two more sciences needing a biology prerequisite. It may vary a little between states, but that is what we needed to do for college admission.

This is not always the case. My daughter did the following progression of sciences in high school and was accepted into eight colleges of varying selectivity.

9th: Physical Science (at home, no lab)

10th: Chemistry (at home with lab)

11th: Geology (at community college with lab)

12th: Environmental Science (at community college with lab)

Regards,

Kareni

Okay, one last question. Is the Physical Science course she took ( in 8th grade) the same as Earth, Space, and Physics? I'm not sure. If it is then that would be great and her schedule would probably look like this:

Physical Science (8th grade)

Biology (freshman year)

Anatomy (sophomore year)

Chemistry junior year)

There is some earth science in physical science. (We had an extra year, and ds wanted to take the earth science, that is why we added it.) Your schedule looks good to me!

This is not always the case. My daughter did the following progression of sciences in high school and was accepted into eight colleges of varying selectivity.

9th: Physical Science (at home, no lab)

10th: Chemistry (at home with lab)

11th: Geology (at community college with lab)

12th: Environmental Science (at community college with lab)

Regards,

Kareni

Most college admissions that I have been looking into say to just have 3 sciences with at least 2 of them being labs. Some schools do request one life science and one physical science as a minimum.

I looked at two of the top IL public schools and two top private schools and neither say to have specific science courses. I listed their admissions requirements below. These are for the "general" admissions. Admissions into engineering, medical, etc, specific programs do specify other requirements of preferred courses. And even then it is mentioned that if a freshman college applicant does not have certain courses completed in high school... the school does not deny admissions for "missing" courses. Student may need to complete more prerequisites to make up for them though.

I just wanted to show this so parents with kids who just aren't interested in sciences/math do not have to push their kids to do the biology, chemistry, physics, Advanced Science sequence. For math it does seem universal for students to do algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2/trigonometry sequence.

My Dd would absolutely go insane if I forced her to take the science courses. She plans to be a music major... no way does she "need" to do indepth courses in biology, chemistry, physics. I do agree that a well rounded student would at least be knowledgeable in these sciences.. to how it affects them in their lives. She will be doing Integrated Science and two other sciences of her choice (possibly Environmental Science, and a Life Science).

University of Illinois Chicago admissions:

Four years of English

Three years of Mathematics (must include algebra, geometry, advanced algebra/ trigonometry)

Three years of Science

Three years of Social Science

Two years of Language** (other than English)

One year of an elective

Northwestern University admissions:

English: 4 full-year courses, with as much composition as the curriculum allows

Foreign language: 2-4 full-year courses of one foreign language

History and social science: 2-4 full-year courses

Laboratory science: 2 full-year courses

Mathematics: 3-4 full-year courses

Additional subjects: 1-3 full-year courses in the academic areas listed above

University of Illinois at Champaign/Urbanas minimum are

(but it is recommend to have 4 credits in each category):

English: 4

Math: 3 or 3.5

Social Sciences: 2

Lab Sciences: 2

One Foreign Language: 2

Flexible Academic Units: 2

Columbia College (Columbia University in New York City): The College has no explicit number of unit requirements for admission, but applicants must present evidence that they are prepared for college work in the humanities, mathematics, social sciences, foreign languages and natural sciences. Accordingly, the College strongly recommends the following preparation:

• Four years of English literature and composition

• Three to four years of mathematics

• Three to four years of history and social studies

• Three to four years of one foreign language (ancient or modern)

• Three to four years of laboratory science

Edited by AnitaMcC