Menu

Party menu this evening

Okay, so we're having a get-together this evening.

We are grilling streaks, chicken and scallops. I'll do those mini-hotdogs-in-puff-pastry things for the kids (for the picky ones).

Eldest is making a strawberry trifle for dessert.

I'm think I'm going to make this watermelon/tomato/feta salad. I'm going to make corn fritters. Maybe a white bean or spinach dip?

Any other side-dish veggie ideas? I don't really want to do anything else on the grill and add to hubby's grilling load. I don't know if I want to do another salad. I don't want to do corn because I'm doing the corn fritters.

Ideas?

A few ideas:

-Raw veggie tray (from the Commissary....Call now!)

-Baked potatoes with butter/sour cream/chopped chives

-Potato Salad

-Hot Spinach Dip in a Round Bread Bowl with crackers, raw veggies, etc.

-Stuffed mushrooms (personal favorite)

-Leeks on the grill drizzled with olive oil

(I know you don't want to grill anything else, but this is really good!)

Israeli Couscous with Asparagus, Peas, and Sugar Snaps

Israeli couscous is small, round, toasted pasta with grains about the size of peppercorns. Serve this dish chilled or at room temperature.

6 servings

Ingredients

• 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
  • 1 1/3 cups Israeli couscous (6 to 7 ounces)
  • 1 3/4 cups (or more) vegetable broth
  • 14 ounces slender asparagus spears, trimmed, cut diagonally into 3/4-inch pieces (about 2 1/2 cups)
  • 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 1/2 cups)
  • 1 cup shelled fresh green peas or frozen, thawed
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
  • 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

• Preparation

• Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, 1 garlic clove, and lemon peel in small bowl; set dressing aside. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add couscous, sprinkle with salt, and sauté until most of couscous is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add 13/4 cups broth, increase heat, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender, about 10 minutes, adding more broth by tablespoonfuls if too dry.
  • Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add asparagus, sugar snap peas, green peas, and remaining garlic clove. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; sauté until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer vegetables to large bowl.
  • Add couscous to bowl with vegetables. Drizzle dressing over. Add chives and cheese; toss. Season with salt and pepper.

post-10544-13535083647016_thumb.jpg

I'd make a fresh salsa with chips. My favorite is made with mango, black beans, red pepper, tomato, cilantro, lime juice, and a bit of kosher salt.

See? I usually make salsa. However, my friends here have forced me to teach them to make salsa. So, I don't feel like making it now. :tongue_smilie:

A few ideas:

-Raw veggie tray (from the Commissary....Call now!)

-Baked potatoes with butter/sour cream/chopped chives

-Potato Salad

-Hot Spinach Dip in a Round Bread Bowl with crackers, raw veggies, etc.

-Stuffed mushrooms (personal favorite)

-Leeks on the grill drizzled with olive oil

(I know you don't want to grill anything else, but this is really good!)

I think spinach dip would be a good idea, I was thinking of that or a white bean dip for an appetizer. The last time I made stuffed mushrooms only 2 people (besides my family) ate them. :glare: Darn picky people. One person has a particular aversion to potato salad.

Mariann-that also looks yummy!

I have to make final decisions soon...it's almost noon. You see what a procrastinator I am?

well, you need something b/e there's not much for ME to eat. I don't eat meat or shellfish. :D

So right now there's corn fritters & the watermelon salad & dessert. That's ok but if you had pita bread or baguette & dip etc that would give a few more options for freaks like me......

hey - what about hummus? nice & easy & a source of protein.

have fun!