Menu

What email provider do you use?

Most of our university world around town uses g mail for personal mail and the kids use g mail. I like yahoo. But I'm not really up on the safety stuff. I think hackers are breaking into large e-mail lists. I bet they got other dog people too. We'll keep this bumped up today looking for out computer experts.

Both my gmail and my yahoo accounts were hacked into and hijacked overnight. I'm not sure how; I'm hyper-vigilant about security stuff. Gmail was able to get me back online; asked me some security questions-- such as provide the names of three labels that I had on email conversations which I was able to do. I've changed the password to a really secure one, but all my emails are going directly into my trash now, and my entire contact list is GONE. WHY?!

Do you think I should keep on using gmail? I've always been very happy with it and until now have not had any problems. I'm not sure what to do now....

astrid

I'd continue to use gmail.

I use gmail with all my accounts, and use it for my special domain name emails as well. I really use Gmail Documents, Calender, tasks, their super fast search (no more organizing into folders ever!), contacts...

Both my gmail and my yahoo accounts were hacked into and hijacked overnight. I'm not sure how; I'm hyper-vigilant about security stuff. Gmail was able to get me back online; asked me some security questions-- such as provide the names of three labels that I had on email conversations which I was able to do. I've changed the password to a really secure one, but all my emails are going directly into my trash now, and my entire contact list is GONE. WHY?!

Do you think I should keep on using gmail? I've always been very happy with it and until now have not had any problems. I'm not sure what to do now....

astrid

I am so sorry. That sounds like a real breach of trust and I would be very upset too. Do you have access to an ISP email account? I think I would use that for a while if I was you and felt that Gmail wasn't going to be super secure in for me in my mind. Can you collect most of your contacts from your deleted/sent folders or did you only use the only the online version of Gmail?

I use Outlook and have all my email accounts dump into it on my computer. (I have several work-related, etc..) I have my Gmail do this too, but the other email addresses are ISP-based and work just the same. Was this done by someone you know or a stranger?

hotmail, but I'm probably going to have to change that soon since my iphone won't recognize it and I can't send email from my phone if need be.

My husband uses gmail and likes it so eventually I'll probably get suckered into that :)

Yeah, unfortunately Hotmail is viewed by spam by a lot of ISPs.

I am so sorry. That sounds like a real breach of trust and I would be very upset too. Do you have access to an ISP email account? I think I would use that for a while if I was you and felt that Gmail wasn't going to be super secure in for me in my mind. Can you collect most of your contacts from your deleted/sent folders or did you only use the only the online version of Gmail?

I use Outlook and have all my email accounts dump into it on my computer. (I have several work-related, etc..) I have my Gmail do this too, but the other email addresses are ISP-based and work just the same. Was this done by someone you know or a stranger?

Hi Kate,

Thanks for your kind words. It was done by a stranger; one of those "Nigerian" scams, I think. I have NO idea how this happened, other than last night I had to update Adobe Flash and a friend at work said sometimes that's a breach, not an actual update. I never thought anything of it; I"m always having to update adobe stuff.

I always used online email accounts because we travel a lot and it was always easier. I don't use outlook at home, so the contact list is just GONE. I have a few of the addresses in my iPhone, I think, so I can recover some.

Seriously, this has been a nightmare-- I wouldn't wish it on anyone!

UGH. Why can't these geniuses use their brilliance for good instead of evil?

astrid

I always used online email accounts because we travel a lot and it was always easier. I don't use outlook at home, so the contact list is just GONE. I have a few of the addresses in my iPhone, I think, so I can recover some.

Seriously, this has been a nightmare-- I wouldn't wish it on anyone!

UGH. Why can't these geniuses use their brilliance for good instead of evil?

astrid

I have often asked myself the same question!

My regular ISP offers online access to my email and yours might as well. I have checked my email from all over as long as I remember the passwords! :001_smile: If you feel safe with your ISP then I would probably go that route though I would also set up that same Gmail account as your friends will try to reach you that way and you will be able to recoup some of the email contacts.

I do know about the update-related scams and to avoid them you can go directly to the sites that you think are suggesting the updates and have them scan your computer from those sites. (Don't even click the links in the emails - just go online and physically type in the websites.) If it isn't needed they will tell you that. It is another step, but at least you can avoid it happening again. It is likely you let in something you didn't intend to. I think almost all of us have done that at one time or another (I know I have!) I am just extra extra careful now.

I think that Gmail is pretty safe overall (as safe as anything online can truly be) and that you will not allow that kind of thing to happen again. (All it takes is once to learn those ugly lessons, right?)

Anyway, sorry. It stinks. :grouphug: