Menu

Favourite educational computer programs?

MelanieM

My kids love playing on the computer, so I want to look into programs that will enrich their experience. I'd love to hear your recommendations for programs that you've used and loved. Math, art, science, typing, geography, history, language... I'm open to exploring any subject in this format, so throw whatever you've got at me!

TIA!

I liked Reading Mansion for phonics. The games did not rely on your mouse skills and were not timed. There were no "click on this and it moves-dances-transforms objects" that seem to inundate so many educational programs. This extra "entainment" feature totally distracted my oldest from any educational value.

My kids (and I!) also liked Zoombinis Logical Journey series. These are very good for fun and working on various logic skills.

We're still on the IXL trial, it looks like such a well-done and colorful math practice site! Unfortunately, my daughter doesn't get into it. At least not like she gets into her ReadingEggs.

I'd love to try Zoombinis, but when I look it up on Amazon, it doesn't list Vista as a platform. Anyone know if it works?

If you've used Creativity Express, did you use the online version or the cd rom? The full descriptions are different, but I'm not sure if they really *are* different, kwim? If they are, the online thing sounds better to me, but I don't really know. :)

Scratch is a free visual programming language for kids developed by MIT. My kids love making their own little games with it; you can draw/create your own components or use pre-existing ones, you can record your own sound effects, etc. One activity my kids particularly like is having the game generate a certain number of random images or elements, and then they have to design a scene or game with them. DD7 does that a lot.

DS12 is currently writing a game where the soul of an Egyptian mummy has to navigate the levels of the afterlife and have his heart weighed against the Feather of Maat. :lol:

Jackie