Menu

Does anyone use Number Neighbors from Muggins Math?

I just ordered it this morning.

I ordered it after receiving and using for the first time their Pre-Algebra (which I posted about earlier - WE LOVE IT!).

I don't know about NN, but Pre-A is not a game, it is a teaching curriculum -- I am enthralled with it.

I ordered NN with the hope that it is the same way -- a teaching curriculum with manipulatives.

asta may be able to answer the question as she is the individual who first mentioned Muggins in a thread about CUrric we love.

I will post again after I receive NN.

Have you had a chance to try Number Neighbors? Just curious what your thoughts/opinions were.

I haven't forgotten about you -- I will post this evening - dh is on travel, things are hectic :willy_nilly:, and we are doing standardized testing.

I will get everyone settled this evening and let you know what I think.:)

I'm also interested to hear what people know!

I ordered a few games from them, but I haven't received them yet. Number Neighbors looks like it would be absolutely perfect for a friend's child, so I'd love to hear reviews when people get it!

TONIGHT - I promise -- I began going through it over the weekend while we were away. I will finish tonight --

right now -- it is a totally different 'process' than pre-algebra (which is the first thing I bought from MM) -- Pre-a is for all intent and purpose, a curriculum.

I am NOT seeing that with NN - which is why I haven't posted anything about what I've learned so far - I want to be certain.

And, if some of you could tell what it IS that you are looking to see if NN has, that would be helpful.......as I said, I was looking for something that I could sit the twins down with (separately) and do Singapore with one while the other did NN and then switch. But, that's me.

Tell me what you are looking for.

More tonight (sorry this has taken so long -- we had HEAD LICE last week............:w00t:...................I've never had it go from one kid to another. I've always stopped it with the first one who brought it home - but that was many years ago. All THREE kids had it -- I did a good job of killing it and removing what I could, but I am TOO old and TOO tired for this so I called in a Professional Lice Treatment Person, paid a fair sum of money, but am thrilled with the results. The whole thing thre my week totally off track.)

Oh, heavens---you are alive!!!!! LOL!

Well, you answered one question with the comment about it being a stand alone cirric. like the pre-a.

So it's more a suppliment to another program just to firm up on a few areas?

We are alread using CLE math and we like it, but dd is having trouble with borrowing. I was concerned that I would buy it and then have to somehow run the 2 programs to feel that I get my moneys worth. And I guess that is my next question, is it worth the money?

What I really want to know is will it magically solve all our math issues?!!:lol: I can dream of a product like that can't I?!!

Oh, heavens---you are alive!!!!! LOL!

Well, you answered one question with the comment about it being a stand alone cirric. like the pre-a.

So it's more a suppliment to another program just to firm up on a few areas?

We are alread using CLE math and we like it, but dd is having trouble with borrowing. I was concerned that I would buy it and then have to somehow run the 2 programs to feel that I get my moneys worth. And I guess that is my next question, is it worth the money?

What I really want to know is will it magically solve all our math issues?!!:lol: I can dream of a product like that can't I?!!

I think it is worth the money. There is a disc included with over 200 pages of activities in PDF format. The activities are divided into Grade Level, Goal, Materials Needed and very specific instructions are provided.

Will this teach borrowing? My answer is, YES, probably better than anything else I have seen. The plastic cards with the places on the back for marbles which are color coded so that place value is taught as well -- This stuff is excellent. On the Demo DVD, she demonstrates Borrowing using the cards and marbles. It is definitely going to teach the concept to a kid who needs things taught visually. I liked it because it totally had nothing to do with the goofy way that math is taught in school -- i.e., borrowing having nothing to do with 'place value' -- borrowing has EVERYTHING to do with place value and this certainly addresses that.

Without going through every single one of the 200 pages, I can highly recommend this. There are also demos of the various games on one of the three DVDs that come with the kit.

If you have any other questions, please ask them specifically. Otherwise, yes, I own Number Neighbors, and yes, I think it is great., and yes, I think it is worth the money. I can see us using this for a number (no pun intended) of years.

And, yes, I do see that I will be able to sit one twin down with a game or Lesson from NN and I can do Singapore with the other. HTH

MariannNOVA - Does NN start from the VERY beginning say with counting and keep moving along from there?

Does it teach all the math you need to know before moving on to Pre-Alg?

My DD & DS are loving Miquon which we will continue with. They are NOT workbook kids. Would NN marry well with Miquon?

Does NN start from the VERY beginning say with counting and keep moving along from there? Yes, imo. I am going to list IN A SEPARATE POST the titles of the Lessons, the mathematical concept of each Lesson, and the activities that are included as part of that. Please see.

Does it teach all the math you need to know before moving on to Pre-Alg? I would have to say yes -- my rising 6th grader is doing pre-algebra and NN says it is for Pre-K through 5th grade.

My DD & DS are loving Miquon which we will continue with. They are NOT workbook kids. Would NN marry well with Miquon?

I haven't used Miquon -- BUT, if your kids are not workbook kids (and my ds is NOT a w/b kid) I would think that this would be great for them.

Below please find Lessons One - Five

Due to space constraints, Lessons Six - Ten will appear in a post right after.

Here is the list of Lessons and what each covers: FYI, for example, there are 14 Activities for Lesson One - so approx. 14 days for Lesson One. I went through the table of contents and counted how many 'activities' there are for each lesson and have included # of activities for each lesson - it's the last thing listed for each lesson.

LESSON 1 NUMBER SENSE - COUNTING, NUMBER RECOGNITION, & PATTERNING

The student understands the different ways numbers are represented and used in the real world.

Activity Number and Name Goal Page

1. “The Marble Train†(Levels 1 - 3) Counting, Number Recognition, & Patterning

2. “Skip Counting by 2’s, 4’s, 5’s, and 3’s†Skip Counting

3. “Patterns and Puzzles†(Levels 1 - 3) Number Recognition by Shape, Pattern, & Size

LESSON 2 NUMBER CONCEPTS - ODDS, EVENS, & INEQUALITIES

The student understands and applies theories related to numbers.

1. “Odds & Evens†(Levels 1 - 2) Odds & Evens (Numbers 1-10)

2. “Inequalities†Inequalities (Numbers 1-10)

10 Activities

LESSON - 3 - NUMBER CONCEPTS - SYNTHESIS & ANALYSIS

The student understands number systems.

1. “Synthesis...Patterning†(Levels 1 - 2) Synthesis (Deductive Reasoning)

2. “Analysis - Taking Apart†Analysis (Inductive Reasoning)

3. “T-Time: Levels 1 - 3†Synthesis & Analysis

20 Activities

LESSON 4 - NUMBER OPERATIONS and CONCEPTS - ADDITION

The student understands the effects of operations on numbers and the relationships among these operations,

selects appropriate operations, and computes for problem solving. The student uses estimation

in problem solving and computation.

1. “Addition (0-10) w/Patterning†Add. w/Commutative & Associative Properties

2. “Addition (0-10) w/Geometric Designs†Addition (0-10) in Columns

3. “Addition with Word Problems†Addition with Word Problems

12 Activities

LESSON 5 - NUMBER OPERATIONS and CONCEPTS - SUBTRACTION

The student understands the effects of operations on numbers and the relationships among these operations,

selects appropriate operations, and computes for problem solving. The student uses estimation in

problem solving and computation.

1. “Subtraction†Subtraction (Numbers 1-10)

2. “Subtraction (0-10) w/Geometric Designs†Subtraction (0-10) in Columns

3. “Subtraction with Word Problems†Subtraction with Word Problems

12 Activities

LESSON 6 - NUMBER OPERATIONS and CONCEPTS - PLACE VALUE

selects appropriate operations, and computes for problem solving. The student uses estimation

in problem solving and computation. The student understands and applies theories related to numbers.

1-2.“Place Value w Addition†Place Value (Ones, Tens, & Hundreds)

3-4.“Place Value w Subtraction†Place Value (Ones, Tens, & Hundreds)

13 Activities

LESSON 7 - NUMBER OPERATIONS and CONCEPTS - REGROUPING with ADDITION

in problem solving and computation. The student understands and applies theories related to numbers.

1. “Regrouping w Addition†(Single-Digit) Regrouping with Addition (Single-digit)

2-3. “Regrouping w Addition†(2-Digit) Regrouping w Addition (2-digit)

4-5. “Regrouping w Addition†(3-Digit) Regrouping w Addition (3-digit)

17 Activities

LESSON 8 - NUMBER OPERATIONS and CONCEPTS - REGROUPING with SUBTRACTION

1-2. “Regrouping with Subtraction†(2-Digit) Regrouping with Subtraction (2-digit)

3-4. “Regrouping with Subtraction†(3-Digit) Regrouping with Subtraction (3-digit)

13 Activities

LESSON 9 - NUMBER OPERATIONS and CONCEPTS - MULTIPLICATION & DIVISION

1. Mult Single-Digit Multiplication

2. Multi with the T-Frame†Problem Solving w/Single-Digit Multiplication

3-4.“Division with the T-Frame†Problem Solving w/Single Digit Division

5. Div. (Single-Digit) Single-Digit into Two-Digit Division

6. Div (Single-Digit) Single-Digit into Three-Digit Division

7. Div (Two-Digit) Two-Digit into Two-Digit Division

8. Div (Two-Digit) Two-Digit into Three-Digit Division

31 Activities

LESSON 10 - NUMBER OPERATIONS and CONCEPTS - FRACTIONS

The student understands the concept of fractions as parts of unit wholes, as parts of a collection, and as

divisions of whole numbers.

1. “Fractions†Fractions - Concept

5 Activities

THANKYOU!!

That is excellent, thankyou so much for taking the time to respond to my specific questions and also for detailing all of the lesson information. Looks like this is going on my list for next year :D

You are quite welcome! I'm glad that the info was helpful -- I wanted to put as much as I could out there --I can definitely see my twins liking this. DD11 already loves the Pre-Algebra from muggins.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask.:)

Wow!

Thanks so much for the time you took to answer! Truth be told both my kids would love to ditch the books and this looks like it could satisfy me too. I think this one might be a go for us for next year too!

You are most welcome. It was good for me to sit and do this -- I would not otherwise have realized the wealth of material here.

I have to tell you, I was really pleased with what I learned in order to answer this thread. I think it is DEFINITELY worth the $$$.

I know I am repeating myself, but my twins are going to LOVE this.

Are there demos for every activity? If not, are the instructions clear? When I watched a demo of her teaching place value, I was confused just watching her teach it. :tongue_smilie: I can imagine I would be very confused just reading how to teach the concept. I was thinking of purchasing this at the convention this month.

It was actually re-grouping that confused me. I went back and watched it again and it made more sense.

Sandy

Edited by thundersweet

Are there demos for every activity? If not, are the instructions clear? When I watched a demo of her teaching place value, I was confused just watching her teach it. :tongue_smilie: I can imagine I would be very confused just reading how to teach the concept. I was thinking of purchasing this at the convention this month.

Sandy

Sandy:

She does talk alot, I agree. There are written instructions for every activity - And, yes, there are Demos for games -- I'm not sure if there are Demos for every activity - I will have to check.

If you PM me with your email, I will copy and paste one of the Activities (place value, probably) and send it to you. It is too large to post here.

:)

• 7 months later...

Bumping an old thread to see how this is going?

Do you still think this is a good complete curric?

What would you add, if not?

And, if you had an 8yo (quick with math, but not good with worksheets), 6yo, and 5yo...what would you purchase from Muggins if you had unlimited funds?

Anyone else?

:bigear:

I know this is an old thread, but number neighbors has always interested me. Any more comments from others who have used this?

And what would you say the age range is on this? It looks like it can cover a wide range. It looks neat, but it is also quite a bit of money, so I definitely want to know more. :lurk5: