Menu

traveling to the History Triangle in VA ... tips?!

we'll be traveling from middle TN to Yorktown, Williamsburg, & Jamestown with our three kids (ages 7, 5.5, and 2) next week and are wanting tips on what to do, what *not* to do, what to spend money on, what *not* to waste money on, cool places to eat, activities to reinforce their learning that are consistent with WTM/CM style learning, as well as just general "educational/cool places to see that aren't necessarily historical." parks? museums? discovery centers? zoos? we are not interested in going to busch gardens. we'll be staying with family friends in yorktown. we still have naptime to contend with for the littlest one. we prefer to eat organic or locally-grown but love good cuisine of any sort .... will there be a place to buy good quality groceries (youngest DS can't have gluten or dairy) .... ?

what else? we'd like to hit the beach (yorktown river?) while there ....

i'm all ears! :) we leave friday and i'm tired of reading the tour guides :)

TIA

We loved traveling in that area. We used to live outside DC and we stayed in a Williamsburg timeshare 5 times, and it never got old.

Drum and Fife in Williamsburg is a must.

Our family really enjoyed this museum: http://www.mariner.org/ They have great Iron Clad artifacts. It was a great kids museum. The Yorktown museum is wonderful. They do reenactments that pull kids in.

The Yorktown river beach is fun and the walk is well designed. There are lots of eateries along the waterfront, but I don't remember their organic status. :D

I'm sure you will have a good list of eateries near W&M college that cater to organic and local fare. Sorry I can't name them.

Enjoy your trip!

Jo

Guest Virginia Dawn

The Mariner's Museum is great.

There is a Fresh Market on Jamestown Road and a Trader Joe's on Monticello Road plus a farmer's market in Williamsburg on Saturdays. These all have organic products.

My best tip for Williamsburg: You need two days there. And take your time. Don't worry about doing anything extra on-site to make sure the dc are learning things. Just mosey along, looking at anything anyone wants to look at, moving along when everyone is finished. No pressure. Relaxed. Y'all will get much more out of it if you do that.

It's been awhile since I was there and things might have changed, but formerly, the Governor's Mansion was not included in any of the passes. If this is still true, you'll want to pay extra to go there.

My favorite restaurant: the Old Chickahominy House. It's a wonderful experience. I think you might be able to work through the gluten- and dairy-free issues; the Web site has the menu. Probably you could get just fruit or eggs, and it does say there are vegetarian items available (which I know may or may not be gluten- or dairy-free, but then again, they might).

Before you go, you could read Jean Fritz's books (Why Can't You Make Them Behave, King George? What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin? And Then What Happened, Paul Revere? and others). They don't happen right in Williamsburg, but it's the Revolutionary era so still useful and interesting.

But the main thing is to enjoy yourselves. You'll all remember things better if you enjoy yourselves, and then the dc might want to learn more, but if not, it's still all good.

I don't know how this is going to fit your organic/locally grown/dairy free/gluten free needs but if it can at all fit in, you must must must eat lunch at the Cheese Shop in Colonial Williamsburg. It's now on Duke of Gloucester Street. (I have to confess, having married a William and Mary man, I'm having a hard time typing these names out - CW and DoG St!) DH took me when he was a student and now we always go back when we're in town.

Turkey and Provolone on french with dressing and dressing on the side. Then we buy more dressing and bread ends to eat it with. It's not the bread, it's the dressing! We even have friends at church who the dh also went to W&M and love the Cheese Shop. They buy us dressing when they go and bring it back for us. :) We do the same thing for them. The dressing will definitely not be good for your dairy free kid.

For us, we don't go to the national parks, we go to Yorktown Victory Center and Jamestown Settlement. You can get a combined ticket to both. Again, for us, these are both 1/2 day parks. We do both the same day. Williamsburg takes a full day. You can do CW without a ticket and just see everything from the outside, but I would (and do) buy the tickets and get us inside and talking to the interpreters.

We've had a great time when we've gone. Enjoy yourself!

just a little tip--

There are two "Jamestowns"--one is the actual place, and the other is similar to Williamsburg in that it's a re-enactment place. Both can take a full day. They are currently excavating at the real one--pretty neat. We liked the glassblower's shop that is very close to the "real" Jamestown."

ETA: You can also earn a free Jr. Ranger patch at the museum at the real Jamestown.

The Virginia Living Museum is a lot of fun adn the dinosaurs are back! There is a petting zoo across the street at the SPCA which is *not* a lot of fun (I do not think).

My kids love the Hampton Air and Space Center also.

I agree completely about the Living Museum and the SPCA. Haven't seen the Air & Space Center, but DH loved it.

Guest Virginia Dawn
There is a Trader Joe's on Jefferson Avenue in Newport News. That will be closer to Yorktown and the other sites you mentioned. I used to live in Yorktown and shop at this TJs.

Enjoy!

The New Trader Joe's on Monticello Avenue is much closer to Williamsburg and Jamestown.

We went two years ago in the fall with two girls - my DD4 and my niece DN2.5 (at the time).

"Dance, Our Dearest Diversion" evening program at the Governor's Palace was a huge hit with my DD because she got to dance with the women in the "princess" dresses. $12 an adult/$6 kids, but totally worth it to me. I'm probably bias because I love period dancing.

I don't see it on the list but we went to a evening fire lit storytelling show in downtown Williamsburg as well not sure if they still do it.

At that time there was also a children's story and tour of DeWitt Wallace Museum that my daughter still remembers the things that she spoke about (how to pick out a toddler boy from a girl in paintings when they all wore "dresses").

Jamestown (the "re-enactment place") was a big hit as well. Though, in the museum, we gave an older lady a laugh. There is a wall that has all the various drawings of Pocahontas - the one on top being the Disney version. I was showing my DD all the pictures when she points to the Disney version and loudly proclaims "And that's the REAL Pocahontas!" The lady next to us just started laughing.

The boats/ships at Jamestown (the "re-enactment place") are also a big thumbs up I'm sure your DS7 will be enthralled by them.

Edited by piraterose

anyone recommend or *not* recommend:

-the Jamestown ferry?

-Carrot Tree Kitchens restaurant in Yorktown?

-Sandy Bottom Nature Park?

and, in order to get as much out of it, should we buy tix for CW or just browse? i'm getting a lot of mixed feedback about this. we want them to be able to see the demos .... but also don't want to spend money on something that isn't really necessary, esp if we're going to only be able to stay for the morning with a still-napping-toddler.

what would be your top pick(s) of these museum options for a 7 and 5 yr old:

mariner's museum, air and space, living museum, yorktown museum

is the downtown hampton waterfront nice area of walk around?