Menu

Have you used Kumon for tutoring?

I have several friends who use Kumon. They love it. It is a mastery technique that ingrains basic skills so the child can move on to more complex concepts without thinking about the baby steps. It is often used for strong students to master skills allowing them to move ahead faster.

I know many people who use, and swear by its methods.

I have a friend who sends her kids there for the math tutoring. As Tap said, it is incremental. They have workbooks (drills in addition, subtraction, multiplication etc.) that they do at home every day. Then at the site they take tests that will move them up an increment if they pass. Then they get the next set of drills. . . Apparently from what she said, you work on one operation at a time. She has one child doing algebra drills through them so it must go pretty far.

I've done some of the books you can do at B & N but not what is done on-site.

Both of my daughters did it for a few years, and got so much out of it. My 8yo is thinking about going back in Sep. (her idea!). They completed 1-2 timed packets a day a home, and attended class twice a week. In my opinion, it's way to expensive, but totally worth it.

My daughter did Kumon math for two years starting in seventh grade, and my son did both Kumon math and reading for a year starting in fifth grade.

In my experience, the Kumon math program works best for kids who learn well independently because the staff at Kumon really doesn't explain how to solve the problems if your child doesn't understand the work. Kumon does provide PLENTY of practice problems and an excellent structured progression into more difficult work.

My daughter was able to test into College Algebra at the local community college at the end of ninth grade. My son did well but became frustrated at the more advanced levels so he quit for a while but wants to go back now.

I'm not sure I'd recommend the reading program for the middle school years. Maybe their elementary reading is better.

It's also quite expensive.

My kids do kumon and it has helped their mastery of the basics. They practice daily and go to the center twice a week. It cost $90/month per subject.

For us it helped us take care of the basics and now I have to work it assures me something is getting done. It also helps with discipline I believe.