Menu

We did our own "Chopped"!

We did our own version of Chopped yesterday afternoon! Several people on here gave us ideas. Thanks to all who did. Here's how we did it.

My dh bought the secret ingredients. He was a judge, but we figured it didn't matter. We had 2 teams, my best friend and her 2 daughters and me and my daughter. He gave us 5 ingredients. We could use any combination to make any 2 dishes we wanted.

Since we were sharing one kitchen, we decided on 80 minutes for the total time. You had to present both dishes at the end of the time. We didn't let them know which plates belonged to which team.

Each dish could earn up to 20 points for taste, 20 points for creativity, and 10 points for presentation.

The secret ingredients were carrots, cheddar cheese, apples, peanut butter, and pretzels.

Here's a description of what we came up with.

Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Pie with Pretzel Crust

Peanut Butter Apple Crisp with Oatmeal-Pretzel topping

Carrot Pancakes with Cheddar-Cream Cheese Sauce

Carrot-Apple Filled Pastry with Cheddar and Rosemary topping

Our friends we invited did win the whole thing, but the judges (husbands and sons) said it was very close on the points. We thought the foods were all yummy. It was so much fun! We can't wait to do it again.

Edited by mom31257

That sounds like so much fun!!! Can you post the winning recipes? These two in particular sound yummy (Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Pie with Pretzel Crust, Peanut Butter Apple Crisp with Oatmeal-Pretzel topping). Pictures too if you have them! What a great idea!

That sounds like so much fun!!! Can you post the winning recipes? These two in particular sound yummy (Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Pie with Pretzel Crust, Peanut Butter Apple Crisp with Oatmeal-Pretzel topping). Pictures too if you have them! What a great idea!

I'll have to get the recipe for the pie from my friend. I will say we didn't measure, so it will be estimates. She also took the pictures because my camera is not working. I'll get her to email me pictures and put them on my blog.

We made the apple crisp. Here's how:

Topping:

1/2 cup crushed pretzels

1 cup rolled oats

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 cup brown sugar

Mix together and add 3/4 stick melted butter

4 apples peeled and diced

3/4 cup peanut butter (melt in microwave on reduced heat ?? long, sorry)

Toss the apples with peanut butter and pour in greased pan. Melt a little more peanut butter and drizzle over apples. Cover with topping and bake at 375 until apples are tender. We drizzled carmel sauce over the top when we served it. I wished we had remembered that I had vanilla ice cream. I think we might have won the dessert if I had.

We've done our own Iron Chef with leftovers:) Sometimes dh will say "the secret ingredient is..." and pick something atrocious that we have lots of. Sometimes we just pick things from the fridge that need to be used up and make an iron chef out of it. It's a fun way to use up leftovers!