Menu

How many books do you require to be read in a year?

Jeana

I let him pick what he wants to read from a list, and then just let him go at his own pace. I'm not requiring (right now) a certain number of books. By his choice, he's now reading two or three hours a day, so as long as he keeps that up, I'm fine with it.

I think he's trying to avoid doing math, but that's not working for him. ;-)

I require approximately an hour of "school reading" per day, and I assign books related to our history year- historical fiction, and now some real classics as well. I scour many different booklists- Ambleside, Sonlights, TWTM, as well as these boards at times. Both fiction and non fiction, but most would fall into the catagory of "living books". I use this time to have them read things they wouldn't read voluntarily.

On top of that hour of "school reading" I casually suggest and leave strewn around good literature for their evening reading. I try hard to make these books ones they will really enjoy and not feel they are doing 'school". Then they will usually read for an hour in the evening as well, and at other times when they might be bored.

However, my kids are 12 and 13. Knowing the age of your kids would help people respond to you more specifically.

Three of my kids read everything available, and one reads avidly as long as it is nonfiction about baseball.

I make a book list every year which I come up with based on suggestions at various websites (school reading lists, library reading lists, homeschoolers' lists, 1000 Great Books list). The search term I begin with is "X grade reading list".

Usually I check out the book reviews on Amazon, too.

I try to make a list of classics, contemporary well-written fiction that the kids wouldn't ordinarily read, and books that are set in the historical time period we are studying.

I put more books on the list than I assign because sometimes the books turn out to be boring to all of us, even though they are highly recommended by everyone in sight. I assign 18 books a year. The kids each read another couple hundred books a year on their own.

I don't have a required amount of time. We generally have a designated time during class while I am grading or getting ready for our next subject. I always tell them if they finish a subject early that they can read until we are ready to move on. I find they both grab their books to read on the way to guitar lessons or to go into town. I don't have a specific amount for them to read in a year but both of them are keeping a reading journal with a picture of front cover and a review of each book they read. I know my younger son is particularly enjoying doing this...he is very goal-oriented and he likes to do things like that! I think they both will enjoy looking back at these when they get older and see what type of books they liked!

Each of my older boys has 12 assigned literature books that are tied to the period of history they are studying. These literature books are read throughout the year, and I set aside time to discuss them through socratic dialogue. I also assign book reports or oral reports on some, but not all of the books.

In addition, my older boys read an extra half hour each day on guided books of their choosing. This means that I've identified some of the good books I would like to see them read over the course of their homeschool journey. Luckily, they are readers and will still read outside of this on the "free" books they get from the library. For example, my oldest son is reading Henry VIII as part of his literature reading, Jungle Book as part of his 1/2 hour assigned reading, and a biography of Norm Abram during his free time (he's in to woodworking right now).

Last year, my son (then 8 turning 9) had about 16 full-length books on his assigned list, plus another 15-20 shorter works (short books, stories, articles from magazines, etc.).

This year, he is reading about 25-30 full-length books, plus another 17 or 18 shorter pieces.

Next year, I so far have about 25 full-length books on his list strictly for history and literature. We're also planning a reading-heavy science year, though, and there are another eight books on that list.

In terms of free or fun reading, I don't assign or require any certain number of books. Both of mine have been willing readers, so I just ensure their access to books and let them go. Last year, my son read almost 50 books on his own, and he's up to about 30 so far this academic year.

When I looked back over the year my kids had read as many but I had never sat and counted them. Thanks again guys. I find it hard to decide which ones because there are so many good ones out there. Are there any books for Early Modern Times you wouldn't do without? Thanks, jeana

No assigned books for my avid readers, either, besides what we actually read in school. I will buy books from Ambleside's "free reading" lists (as well as from other good book lists), and they are in our home library, and the kids are free to choose whatever books they want to read.

Since we use sonlight, I figure he is getting plenty but we still add several sequels, a few things that just look too good to miss, and then he adds a little fun reading that is just things he wants to read. He also reads alot during the summer, he and a friend enter the library reading program and then have a contest to see who finishes the most books.

Once my kids are reading fluently I don't require them to read, they just do! We do read a lot for history and science but other than that it is all free. I don't require them to read a certain number but I'd say that my eldest three read about 300 books per year. They're bibliophiles.:)