Menu

Free golf clinic for kids even though my dh and I don't play..wwyd?

The parks and recreation is offering a free golf clinic for children once a week for six weeks. Golf clubs are available for use. But my dh and I don't play golf because of the cost involved. Would it be fair for my son to start learning golf now only not to be able to play later due to the expenses? Or would he benefit from having played golf a few times? Is it like requiring a child to play the piano for two years just for enrichment's sake?

I would suggest that you give it a try. Yes, if your kids decide they want to play more there is expense, but there are public courses and rental clubs available (and stuff on craigslist) so one can figure out a way around the high end golf costs.

It's a great fun game for kids -- on a Saturday afternoon or when we are on vacation, dh and the kids will try to get a tee time, and they almost always meet interesting folks in their foursome.

My ds is going to golf lessons and a golf camp this summer -- I say do it!

golf-golf-club-tiger-woods-smiley-emoticon-000193-large.gif

Google the First Tee program and see if they have one in your area. It is sponsored by the PGA and it is very very reasonable (about $4 per class). If they like the free class through the town you could continue with this. There are three levels of the First Tee program and once they pass the first level they can join a team that plays weekly. I believe this is free but I'm not 100% as my dc haven't passed the first level yet.

I think that you should sign your kids up.

1) It is an opportunity for your children to be active and healthy...and may develop an extra healthy activity for them in the future.

2) We don't know what all of our children's talents are. If your child really enjoys this, then it behooves you to let him/her explore this opportunity. If the cost is an issue, then give the kids incentive to earn $$$ for their own golfing in the future.

In one of my nannying years, I nannied for a very wise woman. As a hobby, she sewed baby quilts.

"Did your mother teach you to sew?"

"No."

"Did your grandmother teach you to sew?"

"No."

And neither Mother nor Grandmother could sew a single stitch.

"Then how did you learn?"

Her parents signed her up for lots of different classes and such when she was a kid. "Some stuff stuck...and some stuff didn't."

She also admitted that they once did a season of performances at the Met Opera (in NYC). Opera is one thing that did NOT stick.....but she knows enough about opera to get by at fancy dinner parties, etc, if she needs to. And she knows that she has given it "a fair try."

I hope to be wise enough with my children to give them opportunities like this.

--duckens

who loves opera

I take my kids to golf lessons at one of our local clubs, and neither dh nor I play. The classes are quite cheap and include clubs they provide. If you go on your own (not as part of a class) you can rent clubs and I don't think it is that expensive; plus here in the States I imagine you have much more opportunity to find used clubs to purchase -- assuming your ds really takes to it.

My kids enjoy the lessons, but not enough to request to go extra times or follow up with it beyond what they do in the class.

My two oldest are avid golfers! They attended a golf camp years ago (wasn't free, but was affordable) and their grandpa golfs. The other 2 boys who attended camp as well don't enjoy it. So...ds#1 is now golfing with his college buddies and ds#2 often goes alone and joins up with a group of "old guys" (as he calls them).

The hobby can be expensive but there are plenty of ways to make it more affordable. Second-hand golf clubs are readily available (craigslist, garage sales, pro-shops, etc.) and many golf courses offer "junior cards" which are often less than 1/2 the usual fee.

I'm glad they enjoy golfing. It is a hobby that they can do for many, many years. It's useful in the business world as well. A lot of business deals are made on the golf course!

for thirty dollars in July so I'll sign my ds up for that and see how it goes. He went to a free golf class offered through the university last spring and had so much fun. He kept talking about it for a long time afterward. Yes, it's a good lifetime sport and also my church just started a sort of a golf club for young adults.

One big advantage of knowing some basics is golf is being comfortable to play once you are in the corporate world. I still don't play golf, but have had many co-workers spend time out on the greens together. I know there are often lots of business deals handled on the golf course as well.

Once they learn how to hit the golf balls there is then the option of going to a driving range to practice. I believe this is much cheaper than playing a round of golf most places.