Menu

Upset with abortion sermon at recital (CC)

Hmmmm....... Isn't your response trying to convince people of what you think is the right way to treat families who would rather choose their own time and place to discuss heavy subjects?

And do you extend the right to choose what is right for themselves to the owner of the studio? Does he have the right to think and choose to make a speech if he thinks it is the right thing to do?

If the owner of the studio was in his own home, then yes, I would be gracious, although I might graciously excuse myself.

But in this situation, the OP paid money for a certain service - dance lessons. She did not pay money for ethics or philosophy or critical thinking lessons. In one way, yes, as the owner he has the right to do this, but he should be prepared for people to take their money and walk. And just as it would be appropriate for me to write Wal-Mart to complain about their policies or some other company, it would be appropriate for the OP to write a letter complaining about his policies or practices. That would actually be more gracious than just pulling her kids because it give him the opportunity to respond.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm....... Isn't your response trying to convince people of what you think is the right way to treat families who would rather choose their own time and place to discuss heavy subjects? And further, to convince us that the way the owner of the studio made a public speech at a recital is wrong and that you are right? That there is a right way to do this and a wrong way?

And do you extend the right to choose what is right for themselves to the owner of the studio? Does he have the right to think and choose to make a speech if he thinks it is the right thing to do?

Sure. But people who don't think it's right have the right to be upset and take their business elsewhere.

I have an interesting question for those that are Christian and have posted on this thread. Do you pick the parts of the Bible that you either read to your children or allow your children to read based on their ages?

I am do to have my first child any day now and fully intend to read to them from the bible on day 1 (OK, maybe day 2 or 3:D). I know the Bible covers many evil topics ranging from rape to murder to infantcide, to wars. I don't intend to bypass those texts until the child is old enough to hear it.

To me the subject of abortion in that situation just wouldn't be a big deal. My child would either be too young to understand it or they would be exposed to many or all of the issues from the Bible and it shouldn't be that much of a stretch.

But I choose to talk about them at my child's level. When I read my young child the story of King David and Bathsheba, I told her that he wanted her to pretend that they were married in a bad way, and that they were each already married to someone else. That was a fine explanation for a 5-6 year old, and she reacted appropriately. Same with Potiphar's wife, which is a much more explicit story.

But I would not want this to be explicit in a church service, say, or a lecture in public. Certainly not at a play or musical or performance. It's not the time or place, and it's certainly not for another adult to do--I am the parent, and this is my job. If I turn my DD over to another teacher, I accept that they have the authority to consider how best to handle this kind of issue. It should never come up in a mixed-age, mixed-audience public forum.

I didn't even like it when our pastor used to occasionally mention abortion in a sermon, even though he was not explicit about it. I think that it takes away the parents' right and responsibility to tell their children about this kind of adult-ish private matter. An adult Bible class is a find venue for this kind of discussion, but not a mixed age setting. (Thankfully I could always tell when he was about to do this, and would then whisper something distracting to DD so that she would miss it. And, yes, when she got older I did tell her about this issue.)

Sure, but he does so at the risk of losing my business, and I'd say the same if he got up and started spewing radical pro-choice rhetoric.

Sure. But people who don't think it's right have the right to be upset and take their business elsewhere.

Right! Agreed! Just pointing out what seems to be inconsistent. :001_smile: Except I 'm not sure about the "right to be upset." JT

Hmmmm....... Isn't your response trying to convince people of what you think is the right way to treat families who would rather choose their own time and place to discuss heavy subjects? And further, to convince us that the way the owner of the studio made a public speech at a recital is wrong and that you are right? That there is a right way to do this and a wrong way?

Does someone have the right to attempt to sway others to their perspective, or to use whatever platform they have in whatever way they see fit? Sure. Do people have the right to protect their children from such things? Yes. And if I pay a business to teach my kids dance, I am not giving them authority to attempt to push their agenda on my children without my knowledge, especially when the subject is such that it could seriously upset more sensitive young ones who are not ready for the information. I feel that is an abuse of power, actually, and I think this man crossed some serious lines and violated others' rights while he was exercising his own.

That said, I don't really care if you (general you) agree with this perspective or not, and am not really interested in convincing you I'm right. Which was the point of my post... you said everyone wants to influence people to what they feel is right. I disagree with that assertion. I am happy to go about my life with my strong opinions and leave others to theirs. (FWIW. this post is a response to your direct question to me, not an attempt by me to convince you that I am write and you are wrong. ;))