Menu

gasp - textbooks?!

Having never used a "textbook" for most of our homeschool subjects, I'm beginning to wonder if our rising 10th grade son would benefit from this approach to history. He feels that school is "disjointed" because of having to switch from book to book for his assignments (Encyclopedia of the Ancient World, Notgrass, etc. we used MFW for high school this year). A friend of ours uses more of a textbook approach and I wondered if this might help my son. Thoughts?

Having never used a "textbook" for most of our homeschool subjects, I'm beginning to wonder if our rising 10th grade son would benefit from this approach to history. He feels that school is "disjointed" because of having to switch from book to book for his assignments (Encyclopedia of the Ancient World, Notgrass, etc. we used MFW for high school this year). A friend of ours uses more of a textbook approach and I wondered if this might help my son. Thoughts?

Textbooks are an excellent tool. They may be just what your son needs to bring some cohesiveness to his education.

Some kids need the textbook format to learn in an organized manner. Somehow the textbook creates a filebox in their minds...and they are able to store away the information in a better retrievable format, than if they had learned from several different books.

I've used both literature based programs and textbooks throughout the years and have enjoyed each, for different reasons.

I plan on doing a mix of both to cover the area you're referring to, but also to take the in-depth and biographical approach found in living books. I like how TOG lists textbooks in alternate resources frequently, but combines them with the living book approach.

I saw your Apologia Chem. post and was just about to suggest using the text + living books :) Search Chemistry living books and you'll find a recent thread with suggestions.

I'm currently planning Apologia Biology + a local high school Bio for comparison + movies + living books. I want the Christian perspective, but I also want to start teaching my children in-depth differences in the variety of theories for science. I want them to be able to defend or be grounded in our beliefs, connected to our faith, but I also want them to think scientifically. My work thusfar has revealed the only major difference in the Bio is the p.s. text includes anatomy/physiology, while Apologia offers that separately.

Hope all that rambling helped :)

Textbooks are an excellent tool. They may be just what your son needs to bring some cohesiveness to his education.

Some kids need the textbook format to learn in an organized manner. Somehow the textbook creates a filebox in their minds...and they are able to store away the information in a better retrievable format, than if they had learned from several different books.

I've used both literature based programs and textbooks throughout the years and have enjoyed each, for different reasons.

:iagree:

We've always used a combination of texts and other resources. Unfortunately, in the homeschool world textbooks have become stigmatized. There are some atrocious textbooks out there but there are some very good ones too. You'll just have to do research to see which meets your needs best and is most accurate. Texts are a useful tool just like anything else we use in the hs journey. If they can make things easier, more cohesive or the student prefers them etc. then that is all that counts. :)

This past year, dd (10th grade) did world history in 4 different texts. Finally at the end of the year, we did Story of the World, Vol. 4 to cover modern history. (I know, it is kind of easy). Since it was organized, had chapters about the same length, maps, outlines, in other words, a routine, that was the best six weeks of the year. (And the easier reading level facilitated much better discussions as opposed to her not even understanding what she had read.) This year she will be doing American History. At first, I had a stack of ten books together to cover it, and was going to use a spine for filler. She wasn't happy with that option. Then I looked at BJU and Notgrass, too much, too textbookish, and/or too summarized. So.... I got All American History, both volumes, we will do that along with their assignments to make it high school level. I will add a few books to that, and she is very happy. I tried harder reading texts last year. It took all of her effort just to get what she was reading. So, I'm going to an easier reading level so she has energy left to analyze what she has read!

Again, to answer your question, some like things in very neat portions. I have even caught dd looking ahead to calculate how much she has left to do. Just reading as you go really unnerves her, she has no idea when she is finishing. Homemade curriculums, same thing, she can't tell what she is doing when. I do her assignments, but she still likes to see the predictability of a text (that isn't too textbookish....).

How about using SWB's new book on Medieval history? Dd & I have been reading her one on Ancient History & it's a great compromise between a textbook & switching from book to book for each assignment.

That said, we do use textbooks for things like Math, science & even American history. I find I need the help of a spine.

I consider Notgrass a textbook. Yes, a gentle textbook with a narrative feel, but it is fact based, not story based, follows a routine (30 units with lessons spread through a 5 day school week), has a quiz book, and writing prompts. It's not colorful and has less words than a standard textbook though. I think the EAH was added to give a visual appeal and some detail to Egypt and Greece, which, in my opinion, is lacking in Notgrass. Of course, seems like Spielvogel's Human Odyssey is lacking in detail in these areas too, giving way more space to Eastern ancient civilizations. I have both books and see the benefits of each. Now, just to decide which one to use. I don't think doing both is an option, just too much to sort through. I'm leaning towards Notgrass because of the narrative feel, less details (giving more brain time to answering those essay questions), and it is much easier on my back. :D

In thinking this through more, that feeling of disjointedness may come from the fact that there is usually overlap when using more than one spine-type book. For example, the student studies the lesson on Egypt in Notgrass, then goes to EAH and reads what that has to say on Egypt, and then may read yet another book on mummies of Egypt. Well, there's going to be some of the same facts mentioned in all three books, some facts in only 2 books, and some in just one book. The student then has to assimilate all that into their memory, at least until the test! :) Anyway, like I said, just some random thoughts on this.

Edited by LatinTea
Wanted to add more on the original question

We use a mix of textbooks and living books here. Dd learns better with the texts though, I think she likes they are compartamentalized.

I also strongly suggest getting the William Pauk book How to Study in College. There is a lot of great info in there on how to use and learn from a textbook.

I also strongly suggest getting the William Pauk book How to Study in College. There is a lot of great info in there on how to use and learn from a textbook.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked Amazon and our local library for this book with no luck. Any idea where to acquire it?