Menu

If you have used AO year 1....

Susie in MS

We did AO Year 1 when ds was 7. We both loved it and followed it pretty much as written. The only thing we did differently was take out all the blatantly religious books (I don't incorporate religion into academics).

What made it work for me was to keep as close to the CM methods/philosophy as we could and joining the AO yahoo group for ideas and support. It's such an excellent curriculum and I was amazed at how much he learned after that first year of AO. We're in Year 2 now and it's still great.

I started AO year 1 w/ my youngest this past April - he turned 7 mid-May. He is really enjoying it (my just turned 12 yo ds has actually taken his books and is reading them asking why I didn't have them for him when was younger). We are not using the Trial and Triumph book at this age though and I'm adding in SOTW w/ the Activity book.

Julia, did you find that it was better suited for your 7 yos than your 6 yo?

The thing that I kept in mind when I was choosing when to start Yr. 1 was the booklist of Yr. 4. There is a big jump from Yr. 3 to Yr. 4. Yr. 4 has them reading Robinson Crusoe and Kidnapped plus other heavy duty books like Plutarch and Bullfinch. With what i knew of each child, I tried to figure out if they would be able to handle Yr. 4 in Gr. 4 or later.

My oldest was reading quite well at 6 and had amazing reading comprehension. With that information, I thought that she would be able to handle Yr. 4 when she was 9. I was right. I think Yr. 4 was our best year. She totally understood Robinson Crusoe. We had some wonderful discussions based on that book.

My middle child was not reading until he was 8. His reading comprehension is poor so I didn't think he would be able to handle RC when he was 9. We will be doing Yr. 4 next year for his gr. 5 year and I am still not sure if he will be able to handle it.

My youngest is 7 1/2 and she is nowhere near being able to read. Her reading comphrension is good, though, but I thought I would be wise to leave Yr. 1 until she is in Gr. 2. We haven't started yet but I think I have made a good decision

It all depends on the individual child. Look ahead at the Yr. 4 booklist. See if your child will be able to handle those books when she/he is 9.

I discovered AO when my ds was in third (8) and decided to start him in year 1 since I didn't want to miss any really good books. I have since combined year 1 and 2 and will do 3 next year (except for history). He was not fond of parables of nature and the Burgess books so I did have to shift things around according to what he liked. His reading is good but his comprehension was not the same which is why I decided to start in year 1.

We did all of the AO1 books this year on our own schedule. Ds was six, and will just be turning seven when we begin AO2 (using their schedule, for the most part). We skipped Trial and Triumph. Ds LOVED the Burgess Bird Book so much that he was soon reading it and anything else we could find by Burgess on his own. We're just now beginning Parables from Nature, so the jury is still out on that one. He loved the first chapter, though!

It was his enthusiasm for the books in AO that helped me decide to try AO2 next year or 2nd grade. HTH;)

Edited by Medieval Mom