Menu

wha't is my best option?

Hello everyone,

I am 19 years old and will be 20 in September, i do not have a high school diploma. When i was a senior in high school i got kicked out 1 week before 4th term started, i was going to graduate and was doing good. I have 19 credits and 21 were required to graduate, i was going to obtain the last 2 in my last qtr.

Unfortunately that didnt happen, i didnt get to graduate with my class... And the situation i was put in didn't allow me to get a high school diploma...

i was in a very awkward situation with my high school, during my junior year of high school i moved out of the district, i told my counsler and DEAN that i had moved... my dean told me this my junior year, i quote " hey eduardo,i know you moved out of the district but your a nice kid, im going to let you graduate with ur friends."

and just 1 week before 4th term began i had a meeting with the vice principal, he said that if i didnt leave the school i would have to pay 1 year student petition, $13,000.

he told me that the district had found out i was living out of the area...

they made me sign a paper and officially i was a high school dropout, my dean was in the room and she was crying,

i would have brought up the fact that she had told me in my face that i wasnt going to be moved out of the school.. but the vice principal said that if i made any effort to fight the case i would lose Guaranteed...

they said that i had to deal with my situation by myself...

unfortunately the school i belonged to had a completely different class schedule, so that made it impossible for me to recieve a high school diploma... what my old school did in 1 term, they did in 1 semester...

i was fooled by my DEAN out of all people to feel safe and secure,

since i got booted out of my high school i didnt have a reason to get my dimploma or a GED, but ive recently made the decision that i want to join the US Military, and in all branches it is harder to enlist with a GED,

so i wanted to know how i can get my last 2 credits, i had only 1 required class to do before graduating,

is there any programs for people in my situation were i can get my diploma? or is a GED my only option?

thanks for your time everyone...

Edited by eduardo23

Yes. NARHS. Pay $525, and have your credits transferred to them. You can take the remaining courses however you want: independent study on your own, a distance school, community college, whatever. NARHS will accept those credits and issue you a diploma. Also, NARHS is a Maine school, so Maine may have different graduating requirement than your state. If so, you might just be able to graduate without those 2 remaining classes.

Hope that helps,

Yes. NARHS. Pay $525, and have your credits transferred to them. You can take the remaining courses however you want: independent study on your own, a distance school, community college, whatever. NARHS will accept those credits and issue you a diploma. Also, NARHS is a Maine school, so Maine may have different graduating requirement than your state. If so, you might just be able to graduate without those 2 remaining classes.

Hope that helps,

thank you very much for your fast response,

i live in illinois, i will look up NARHS, our school required 21 credits and i had 19.125

im just looking for a way to get a diploma and not a GED, because a GED really holds u down regarding Military enlistment.

:iagree: You can also check with your local community college. The one in my area offers a high school diploma.

Best of luck!

thank you for the response,

i will be contacting my local community college,

how can i look for a program like NARHS in Illinois?

I just wanted to chime in about the enlisting with a GED. My "d"h was homeschooled from 5th grade on in a state with absolutely no homeschooling requirements. He decided to take the GED test at the age of 17 and did receive it. He decided to enlist after 9/11 and had no problems entering the Marine Corps at the age of 22. Granted, he did have some college credit by this time, but no diploma of any sort. As long as your ASVAB scores are good, I don't see where having a GED would cause a problem.

Good luck!

thank you very much for your fast response,

i live in illinois, i will look up NARHS, our school required 21 credits and i had 19.125

im just looking for a way to get a diploma and not a GED, because a GED really holds u down regarding Military enlistment.

You don't need to live in Maine to enroll in NARHS (North Atlantic Regional High School). In fact, NARHS only requires 17.5 credits to graduate. Here's what you need:

4 English

2 Math

2 Science

1 Social Studies

1 US History

1 PE

1 Fine Arts

.5 Computer Skills

.5 Health

4.5 Electives (your choice)

You can go to their website http://www.narhs.org for more information. Or, come here (or the High School / Self Education Forums here at TWTM) and ask more questions.

ETA: They also accept credit from community college, universities, and homeschooling.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

You might look at other programs like American School also as they are much cheaper and you can usually get those last few credits pretty quickly. You may need to take 4 classes to officially graduate with them even if you have the credits, but it's self-paced and you can do that pretty quickly. It's regionally accredited so will work fine for whatever you need.

Dh completed his high school diploma through a community college in his 20's. He dropped out in 10th grade, but was able to complete the remaining credits in a very busy 6mths. He had to do some book work for classes like history, write some papers on his 'life learning' and we had to pay for it, but he was very happy to have a true high school diploma not a GED.

I just wanted to chime in about the enlisting with a GED. My "d"h was homeschooled from 5th grade on in a state with absolutely no homeschooling requirements. He decided to take the GED test at the age of 17 and did receive it. He decided to enlist after 9/11 and had no problems entering the Marine Corps at the age of 22. Granted, he did have some college credit by this time, but no diploma of any sort. As long as your ASVAB scores are good, I don't see where having a GED would cause a problem.

Good luck!

I don't think it's a matter of being able to enlist or not. My understanding is that with a GED you'll only be eligible for certain "lower tier" career fields whereas a diploma will allow you to be eligible for many more fields.

OP, if you haven't already, check with your recruiter on this.

Cinder

Thank you all for your responses, I will keep researching what is my best option, Does anyone know of any program that will give me a hs diploma that the military won't question... I see that the military looks down upon "transfer students", i would love to find a program that will not have me categorized as a transfer student,

Thank you all for your responses, I will keep researching what is my best option, Does anyone know of any program that will give me a hs diploma that the military won't question... I see that the military looks down upon "transfer students", i would love to find a program that will not have me categorized as a transfer student,

Have you talked to a recruiter?

Your community college or Adult Ed program may be your best choice. You can finish your last 2 credits, then they issue a diploma that should be the same standard as any high school would issue. My state has programs specifically for people in your position to be able to get the diploma. The military shouldn't question it because it is part of the state schools.

Good for you for pursuing your diploma! It's never too late to get it.

Your best bet is to get a diploma through the program mentioned earlier and then do a year of community college. The college hours will overcome any questions about your diploma.

:iagree:

I think after you have some college credits under your belt, the type of HS diploma shouldn't be a problem at all. Good luck!