Menu

What do the balls by our names represent?

I just now noticed them! I was just trying to figure out the rep points thing, when I noticed a green ball by my name.

Since I brought up rep points. It says I have 12, but only two have a comment. How do I know if the other 10 are positive or negative?

thanks!

As far as the ball next to your name goes - if it's green, that person (or YOU) is online (rather, logged into this site). If it's grey/blue/dark, then that person is not on the site right now.

The rep points I'm not as familiar with, but I believe that the number you see indicates the number of positives. (I'd assume that a negative would simply subtract from that number?) Like I said, not as familiar there, and I'm sure someone else will be able to answer that.

I just now noticed them! I was just trying to figure out the rep points thing, when I noticed a green ball by my name.

Since I brought up rep points. It says I have 12, but only two have a comment. How do I know if the other 10 are positive or negative?

thanks!

The circle by people's names tell who is online right now-depending on whether it's green, red or blue you can tell who is online, offline or whose status is hidden.

Even if there isn't a comment it should show a red, green or blue square by the rep in your user CP. Red=bad, green=good, blue/gray=that person doesn't have enough points to make a difference to your rep but tried to give you a positive.

I've been playing with "points" this evening to try to figure things out. LOL

When someone leaves a "rep," they have the option to leave a comment as well. Some choose not to leave a comment, some choose to do so.

The "points," in my understanding, just add up as people keep "rep-ing" you. When you rep'd me, (THANKS!) I now have 20 instead of 19 like I started the evening with. :D If you point to the green square(s) in someone's post, that gives you an idea of how many people have given that person a positive "rep" (which gives them a point). That should help determine if you should take their advice or not, swap with them on the sale board, etc. (One should also take into consideration how long that person has been here, and I'm not sure if/where a list may exist of the rep "levels.")

Anyway. I've been here for a couple of weeks and am just now looking to even bother with it. LOL Just a way to try and discourage trolls and theives, I suppose. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Pointing to the rep squares does nothing on my computer. Maybe it varies by browser. I'm on a Mac running Safari. We Safari users tend to get left out of the fun stuff.:sad:

...but I use Firefox, and pointing to the rep squares brings up info. If it doesn't matter to you which browser you use, give Firefox a try.

in smaller letters to the right, then underneath it there are two positives with comments. Do the points mean something else? Thanks for helping.

I believe they started everyone with 10 points. So you're seeing the 2 positive reps you've gotten + the 10 they started you with :001_smile:.