Menu

veritas press timeline cards and laminating?

grace'smom

Should you laminate your cards? We have a laminator, but I found a lady who will laminate all of them for 50.00. Is it necessary?

If you do Classical Conversations do you use all the cards every year or just some of the sets? If I could spread out the laminating it might be easier to just do it myself on our laminator.

Has anyone ever tried using contact paper to laminate them? That would be the cheapest but I wonder if it would work as well.

I think you need to laminate them if you will have young dc using them or you will be tutoring in CC using them in the class. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother. We have had ours for many years, and they are in great shape. They are pretty sturdy to begin with, and I had never heard of laminating them until CC started using them. I just teach dc to handle them the same way they handle books.

I did CC this past year, and I don't understand why people spend the $ on laminating (other than what the PP posted). I bought 2 small 3 ring binders (1/2 sheet size) and page protectors from an office store to store mine in, which worked very well. I put 2 cards in back to back. It was cheaper than $50. At first, I would take them out to review the timeline, but realized that flipping through the binders worked fine for review.

I bought some small binders with plastic protective sleeves that work PERFECT! I think it was a bit more that $50, but I LOVE it! They are so easy to flip through, stay protected, and I can pull them out and put them back as needed.

I'm sure I have a photo somewhere, let me find it, along with the link to where I purchased the binders and I'll post it to my blog this afternoon.

I know you probably weren't looking for a more expensive options, lol! But these are really great, so I figured I'd at least share the idea!

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-Tina ~

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

http://seasonsoflearning.blogspot.com/

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I don't like contact paper as well as laminating because it just doesn't last as well. I laminated all of mine years ago (I have my own laminator) and they still look perfect:) I bought a stamp thing for scrapbooking that cuts off corners and makes them round so there aren't any sharp corners.

I laminated my first set but ended up getting the binder and sheet protectors for the other sets and much prefer the second method. I am particular about the cards so for me I do like protecting them. Either method works. I just didn't like punching the holes and putting them on a ring which I did when I laminated them.

I laminated mine, but I didn't spend near $50. It was a year or so ago and I went to a teacher supply store where you paid to laminate by the sq. foot. I want to say it was like $16 to do 4 of the sets.

I just posted a picture and details on the mini-binders for the Veritas Press History and Bible Cards on my blog. Please feel free to ask in questions or leave input in the comment section. I think you'd like this idea much better than laminating! (or at least I did :)!)

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I just posted a picture and details on the mini-binders for the Veritas Press History and Bible Cards on my blog. Please feel free to ask in questions or leave input in the comment section. I think you'd like this idea much better than laminating! (or at least I did :)!)

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Those are AWESOME!!! I may get some of those for my cards even though they are laminated. I could never bring myself to punch holes in them so they are in boxes my dh custom made to store them.

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

:D Thanks for sharing!! I'd seen these before and was anxious to find them again! My VP order arrived TODAY (so so so fun) and those cards are lovely! We must get those binders! :001_smile:

Another CCer had their own laminator that she let me borrow last year. We've only been in CC one year and are planning to continue with Foundations for the next 6 years so I felt that it would be a good idea to protect them. It cost $15 for the laminating sheets and my friend didn't charge me to use her laminator. I trimmed and punched holes in the cards myself but, I scrapbook so I already had a great trimmer. It took several hours from start to finish but, I'm glad I did it. We took our cards whenever we went on car rides that were at least an hour so the kids could practice. I admonished my dc to be careful with the cards but even with careful handling, the laminated corners are starting to bend from all of the travel that they have seen. I'm glad it's just the lamination thats bent and not the cards themselves.

Now, I've decided to use VP for history for the next several years so we'll be using the cards even more than just with CC. If you choose not to laminate, I'd definitely recommend protecting them in some form if you want them to last for a number of years.

I laminated mine and punched holes in them. They are on a binder ring and look great! I want my kids to be able to touch and look through them without worrying about messing them up. I took them to a teacher supply store and laminated them myself. I know I paid less than $15 (.25 cents per foot) for all the cards. I hope you can find a cheaper option if you choose to laminate, $50 is very high.

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Those look absolutely beautiful! I love the binder idea too because I think it would give easier access than having to flip over a ring. I really like that! I think I will visit Office Max and see what I can come up with...

Mine are laminated and two-hole punched with metal rings. I did CC last year. We used all the cards and they are used each year. I will be tutoring this year, which makes this even more handy.

I take the set for the week and put them on mini-rings while we learn them and then transfer them to a ring together with the the other cards as we learn them. This makes them so easy to flip through.

BTW, I paid a fraction of $50 to have mine laminated. They ran them through at a a teaching supply store and I cut them out in my spare time at home and then punched them. It wasn't costly and I haven't regretted it once.

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

NICE.

Thank you ladies! Always happy to share a good idea I've come by! ;)

Fwiw, it might save you some footwork to know that I did check my local Staples and Office Depot before I ordered mine - they would have been much more expensive and the binders and sleeves were not nearly as nice as the ones I purchased!

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

• 3 weeks later...

Mine are also in small binders/protector sheets. We've been doing it this way for 4 years now. Actually I had found such a great deal that at the time I bought enough binders/sheets for all 10 sets of cards. :)

They are keepers. They sit so neatly on the shelf. I used a marking pen to write the titles on the sides of the binders.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I LOVE the little binders, so convenient! I still prefer them to be laminated though so I can take them out and let the kids play with them without having a heart attack :lol: